Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:40 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,888,938 times

Advertisements

I don't know why anybody would want to be around to see this transition in real time....

It's going to be very ugly before it works itself out. Sure, YOU may not have anything to worry about...but you may be sending children off into this..and many others are. At the very least, you know somebody that will be severely, negatively affected by the displacement of unskilled workers.

The globalists are totally ten steps ahead of the game. This is why sustainable development was drawn up. The are trying to trim the fat benignly as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:43 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,301,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Burger King has had machines cooking the burgers for over 30 years, they still seem to need plenty of unskilled labor. I doubt this robot is going to cut into the need for people at McDonalds or anywhere else very much.
This machine does all of the work. Now yiu need one person working on the robot, one at the counter, and ine at the window. Down from a staff of 12, to a staff of 3.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,301,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I don't know why anybody would want to be around to see this transition in real time....

It's going to be very ugly before it works itself out. Sure, YOU may not have anything to worry about...but you may be sending children off into this..and many others are. At the very least, you know somebody that will be severely, negatively affected by the displacement of unskilled workers.

The globalists are totally ten steps ahead of the game. This is why sustainable development was drawn up. The are trying to trim the fat benignly as possible.
The nice thing about robotics is cost though. Increased supply at cheap labor rates could drive food prices down to lows we haven't seen in a hundred years. Loaf of bread? .25 cents.

Same thing with manufacturing.

All of that requires someone lowering prices, and competition between rival companies.

Its the future, and its coming whether we like it or not. We are goingto produce a robotic slave race, just what we do. And we will live like colonials during the slave days, and likely will live on other planetary bodies with the help of our new slaves. Only question is how long it is before the robots get smart to their plight.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:06 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,950,554 times
I have always believed that as technology pushes people out, sooner or later it will become a political issue...I wouldn't be surprised if this is what brings conservatism back. As liberals push for more technology conservatives will adopt a Luddite platform and seek to reign in genetic engineering, automation and the what not...but then again, that sounds like a winning strategy to expand and hence it is something conservatives will reject.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,950,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The nice thing about robotics is cost though. Increased supply at cheap labor rates could drive food prices down to lows we haven't seen in a hundred years. Loaf of bread? .25 cents.

Same thing with manufacturing.

All of that requires someone lowering prices, and competition between rival companies.

Its the future, and its coming whether we like it or not. We are goingto produce a robotic slave race, just what we do. And we will live like colonials during the slave days, and likely will live on other planetary bodies with the help of our new slaves. Only question is how long it is before the robots get smart to their plight.

That's it: I'm naming my son "John Connor".

Old 08-13-2013, 04:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,892,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most jobs will be replaced by robots and there will be very little for anyone to do but beg from the investor class. A hard rain's gonna fall. I see mass starvation, unprecedented civil unrest, war, disease, and the complete breakdown of society. It's a ways off, but inevitable.
This is more likely the outcome rather than a post scarcity scenario.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,502,919 times
At a point in the not very distant future, the people with jobs and skills are simply going to stop supporting those who can't adapt to a modern economy.

That is the reset button.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 667,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I suppose if you ignore the temporal component , everything is all rosy. Or as Keynes said, "In the long run we are all dead."

It will take time for these "new jobs" to materialize, and in the meantime, the existing humans (voters, fathers, mothers, etc) in the labor market are ill-suited to manufacture robots. It's easy for economists to marginalize the time and suffering of these structural transitions in the labor market.

I wonder if economists would be similarly optimistic about technology that rendered economists obsolete.
Of course many, even most people are ill-suited to building robots but anyone with a disposition toward electronics or engineering can be deemed a potential candidate and what's as important is when they enter the robot industry, they leave open what they would be doing otherwise. Those openings will be filled based on demand which, as those roles are filled) will leave more openings, and so on.

The constant state of flux is what keeps industry and humanity vibrant. It should be welcomed and embraced.

I mean just take a moment and think about what your immediate environment would be like if it weren't for the evolution and implementation of things like the printing press, the cotton gin, electricity, the agricultural, rail, aviation, automobile and computer industries.

We all have the potential to fall down if unwilling or unable to adapt to a changing environment, but I think more often than not, it's a matter of personal choice whether one lies down or reinvents themselves. There is a safey net for those who cant or wont, funded by those who can and do.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,901,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
The constant state of flux is what keeps industry and humanity vibrant. It should be welcomed and embraced.

I mean just take a moment and think about what your immediate environment would be like if it weren't for the evolution and implementation of things like the printing press, the cotton gin, electricity, the agricultural, rail, aviation, automobile and computer industries.

We all have the potential to fall down if unwilling or unable to adapt to a changing environment, but I think more often than not, it's a matter of personal choice whether one lies down or reinvents themselves. There is a safey net for those who cant or wont, funded by those who can and do.
Excellent post. There is nothing inevitable about an unwillingness to adapt.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:26 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,236,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
At a point in the not very distant future, the people with jobs and skills are simply going to stop supporting those who can't adapt to a modern economy.

That is the reset button.
Or the people without "jobs" and "skills" are going to demand an honest evaluation of what constitutes work and skills which threatens those who make the rules.

That is the true reset button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies