Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times

Advertisements

Most jobs will be replaced by robots and there will be very little for anyone to do but beg from the investor class. A hard rain's gonna fall. I see mass starvation, unprecedented civil unrest, war, disease, and the complete breakdown of society. It's a ways off, but inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
I don't think it will take nearly as long as you think. Automation costs are coming down. Even in small-town America where I live (~5000 people, largest municipality in the county) the local McDonalds already has an automate soda machine for the drive-thru. I have no doubt other tasks at McDonalds will be automated soon.
Yes, you could well be right. It didn't take very long for the internet to bloom, and perhaps the same thing could hold true w/ robotics. It just seems to me that mechanical engineering is a little tougher nut to crack than software engineering. I guess we will find out over the next decade or so.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,746,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The robot is fated to take over all jobs... and liberals will grow up with no skills... while the conservatives learn to fix robots... the liberals then blame robots and conservatives and think they should be taxed extra to take care of liberals... wow... strangely this is already happening but without the robots...
I loved reading this post, and I bet you a 1000 bitcoins it will happen.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I'll bet the heads of those striking to demand (yes, *demand*) their $15 per hour wage are all spinning right now. A robot will not strike, will work without whining, and can actually do the job right for less cost!

I'll take a Happy Meal to go, Mr. Robot!
How sad, those bullies will not get what they want..how very sad indeed, and by sad I mean poetic justice.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Burger King has had machines cooking the burgers for over 30 years, they still seem to need plenty of unskilled labor. I doubt this robot is going to cut into the need for people at McDonalds or anywhere else very much.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reminds me of how some complain about the decline in test scores between the U.S. and some other nations. The reality is that most U.S. students will not put forth the same time and effort as their counterparts do in some nations. Instead, we blame the schools.
So no blame can be laid at the schools? they cant be improved in any way, shape, or form?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Burger King has had machines cooking the burgers for over 30 years, they still seem to need plenty of unskilled labor. I doubt this robot is going to cut into the need for people at McDonalds or anywhere else very much.
We need to build and hire more robots and lower the minimum wage. Green jobs.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Ours has 2 morning employees, 3 at peak hours, with dozens of people in the restaurant at times.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Honestly I don't know why people are always freaking out about productivity growth and mechanization in the aggregate. This has been going on for over a couple hundred years now and we keep finding new stuff for people to do.

Granted, on the individual level people who have a high-skill job that gets automated or otherwise technologically obsoleted or de-skilled can certainly lose out, but on the whole as a society it hasn't been a problem; quite the contrary.
Good point.

Capitalism has done a helluva job telling folks what they are doing is productive even though with each passing moment fewer and fewer folks are actually doing something necessary.

If this country ever had an honest debate on private ownership rights and what really constitutes work there could be trouble. Sadly, I doubt it ever happens.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:39 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Unlikely.

The jobs created will be higher in skill, but much lower in number. The companies competing for the people to fill those jobs will have to do so, in a different market from those from which the current burger flippers are hired. Those (ex)workers will to compete for other low wage, no skill jobs, in a market that would be seeing a huge porting of it's demand eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Cool, now to find a location where I can sell 360 hamburgers and hour :-)

To me this is more of job transference than job elimination. A successful venture would require an R&D team, robot manufacturers, robot salespersons and robot repairpersons. All more highly skilled jobs and susequently higher paying jobds than that the of flippers.

The people getting the robot service jobs will leave vacancies at desks, in gargages, in the field, thus eventually elevating the former flippers (based on their abilities and desire) to something better than being a flipper.

Everyone wins, me included. A robot won't 'tex' (sp. intentional) their friends while assembling my burger. A robot wont sneeze on my food, forget to wash their hands, or secrete some bodily fluid of their liking onto my burger, based on their intolerance for my race, creed, color, etc.

Google Adam Smith's pin factory for some unintended benefits of progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies