Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

I've even read some people theorize that as John Lennon began to decrease his drug use, he started changing his political philosophies.

John Lennon 'was closet conservative and fan of Reagan' | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:09 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
When was John a 'militant' as alleged by this guy?

Just because he may have been taken in by an actor who fooled many others doesn't mean he became a totally different person.

It'd be a more meaningful story coming from Yoko than from a guy who worked for Lennon for a year and for all we know has an axe to grind. There's at least 2 sides to the story, hearing only one doesn't mean very much.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:51 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
I'd simply argue that I'm not surprised. John Lennon was a shell of his former self before he died. In the early to mid 70s Lennon was drinking, tripping and doing coke at an epic pace and was an all-around A-hole. Then he mostly got clean and limped home to Yoko. He released an embarrassingly feeble album (Double Fantasy) for a guy not 10 years out of the Beatles.

Hate to say it, but as a teenager jumping on the punk and new wave bandwagon in the late 70s, when Lennon was killed in 1980, it felt necessary. He had become everything young punks wanted to put an end to: classic rock, crusty 60s flower-child, ego-driven starman who sang about things he didn't adhere to.

He was pretty cool in 1965 though, just don't ask his first wife and kid.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

Hate to say it, but as a teenager jumping on the punk and new wave bandwagon in the late 70s, when Lennon was killed in 1980, it felt necessary.
What felt necessary? For him to be ambushed, shot when his back was turned and murdered?

Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Considering that Lennon died in 1980, I don't think he had enough time to become a Reagan fan.
I agree with Back to NE; Lennon was much more pre-occupied with his personal life than he was in American politics.

I understand NE's thought that Lennon's death was necessary, but a better word may be 'inevitable', given our predilection to kill our pop idols of the moment. It's that '15 minutes of fame' Andy Warhol talked about.

Lennon was always a simple peacenik. He hated war, but he never indulged in specifics, and it's important to remember that he was a Brit. I don't think he ever understood the ways of our version of democracy very well. And didn't care to learn about it much, either. He was much more content just staying home, playing with his son, than he was before he went into his huge flame out of a few years earlier. Naturally enough; after a steady diet of jet-fuel grade drama that nearly killed him, politics is nothing but very pale and weak tea.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
He died before Reagan's hayday.

My cat has more journalistic integrity than the Mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies