Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not talking about MEXICO. The topic of the thread is New Mexico.

You do know that NEW Mexico is a state in the union, right? Has been since 1912.
I know, having lived there, that people do sometimes have problems recognizing that NEW Mexico is a state, but, it is.
And Spanish is spoken there by a large percentage of the population, as is Navajo and Tewa and Apache...

It is a very special place.
And was spoken here in New Mexico before English was. Some people here are getting carried away from an appeals court in New Mexico saying that potential jurors of any language other than English will have translators. There are more instances of jurors being improperly excused because they spoke Navajo, rather than Spanish-speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Speaking of, I heard a report on NPR this morning that noted that sales clerks in Miami are having to learn Portuguese to assist the many Brazilian customers that patronize their stores.

Why, you might ask, would they go to such lengths? Because it is good for business.

Imagine that.

Anyway, getting back to New Mexico - the majority of the Spanish speakers there are not foreigners.
I see, so now Americans are going to have to learn foreign languages to accommodate tourists? We have tourists that come here from all over the world. Shall we learn 10-20 different languages to accommodate them? Why not have a couple of clerks that can speak their language rather than the whole workforce?

Who said that the majority of New Mexicans are foreigners?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Not talking about MEXICO. The topic of the thread is New Mexico.

You do know that NEW Mexico is a state in the union, right? Has been since 1912.
I know, having lived there, that people do sometimes have problems recognizing that NEW Mexico is a state, but, it is.
And Spanish is spoken there by a large percentage of the population, as is Navajo and Tewa and Apache...

It is a very special place.
Most of them also speak English so the point is?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
If you haven't learned english and are eligible for a jury it means you are hanging onto your cultural mores. It would be the same as the iranian president sitting on a jury in NYC deciding the fate of a women or lbgt defendant.

Behavior accepted in one culture is a crime in another. One big problem we face is the clash of the integrated gangster culture vs legislated law. Other differences may be just as significant.

Imagine your fate depending on the accuracy of a translator.

Social justice ruling for sure.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Deaf and blind folks serve on juries and they require assistance to do so. Speaking a different language shouldn't take one out of the pool.
Yes it should.

If you can't speak the de facto official language of the United States, i.e. English, you should be dismissed from the pool.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes it should.

If you can't speak the de facto official language of the United States, i.e. English, you should be dismissed from the pool.
Not in New Mexico. Their constitution clearly spells out Spanish or English.

Now can the accused ask for an all English speaking jury and not get accused of discrimination ?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If you haven't learned english and are eligible for a jury it means you are hanging onto your cultural mores. It would be the same as the iranian president sitting on a jury in NYC deciding the fate of a women or lbgt defendant.

Behavior accepted in one culture is a crime in another. One big problem we face is the clash of the integrated gangster culture vs legislated law. Other differences may be just as significant.

Imagine your fate depending on the accuracy of a translator.

Social justice ruling for sure
Actually it is the New Mexico Supreme Court reenforcing to the court system of the state about something that has been in place for the entirety of New Mexico's constitution (drafted in 1911) and its statehood. This isn't a new change, it isn't in any way about illegal aliens ("illegal aliens" weren't in the lexicon of 1911). New Mexico will provide a translator for any language if the juror is unable to sufficiently understand English in court proceedings.

Quit trying to change my state if you don't like the law of the land here...

Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not in New Mexico. Their constitution clearly spells out Spanish or English.

Now can the accused ask for an all English speaking jury and not get accused of discrimination ?
If I lived in New Mexico, I'd be royally pissed off at having to pay an interpreter when it was completely unnecessary.

If you're going to have two official languages, then conduct trials entirely in English or entirely in Spanish. No halfsies.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes it should.

The New Mexico Supreme Court, as well as its state constitution (written in a time of more Spanish-speakers in the state than English, and probably also eclipsed by Navajo), disagrees with you...

Old 08-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The New Mexico Supreme Court, as well as its state constitution (written in a time of more Spanish-speakers in the state than English, and probably also eclipsed by Navajo), disagrees with you...
What has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap?

(Hint: This girl.)

I don't live in New Mexico. Thank g-d.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies