Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,657,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So, are you saying that most of them don't speak English?
I've no idea how many do or don't.

I was simply pointing out that the primary language of the country they reside is not English.

Another interesting point: the first European language that many southwestern American Indians learned was...Spanish.
As a matter of fact, many members of the remaining indigenous tribes have names that reflect contact, including marriages, with those early Spanish settlers.

For some people, particularly in the American southwest, as noted in the following essay, Spanish is as American as English and I personally believe that it should be respected as such just as we should respect the Native American Indian languages.

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Spanglish . USA | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I've no idea how many do or don't.

I was simply pointing out that the primary language of the country they reside is not English.

Another interesting point: the first European language that many southwestern American Indians learned was...Spanish.
As a matter of fact, many members of the remaining indigenous tribes have names that reflect contact, including marriages, with those early Spanish settlers.

For some people, particularly in the American southwest, as noted in the following essay, Spanish is as American as English and I personally believe that it should be respected as such just as we should respect the Native American Indian languages.

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Spanglish . USA | PBS
Who cares what language from Europe was spoken here first? Our national de facto language is English. All government business is conducted in English and government documents are in English. English is he most widely spoken language in this country. Just what does respect for Spanish mean to you? That trials should be conducted in Spanish or some American Indian language to show "respect"? Most Spanish speaker in this country know our national language so why should we pander to those who do not?

The so-called native Americans who were indigenous to THIS country did not just mate with the Spaniards either. Here is an interesting article about language usage today among the descendants of the tribes who are indigenous to THIS country.

http://www.pbs.org/indiancountry/challenges/navajo.html

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-15-2013 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Native Americans who don't speak English (while very rare) get a pass from me. They were here first. Of everyone in this country, they are the only group who shouldn't be forced to learn English if they don't want to.
I usually agree with you on most things but I will have to disagree here. Being first means nothing as even these so-called natives migrated here from somewhere else. It is ridiculous to be so stubborn that they or anyone else would refuse to learn our national language. No one is suggesting though that they be forced to learn it. If they don't want to then they shouldn't expect and we shouldn't be pandering to them in their native language, IMO.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,189,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I usually agree with you on most things but I will have to disagree here. Being first means nothing as even these so-called natives migrated here from somewhere else. It is ridiculous to be so stubborn that they or anyone else would refuse to learn our national language. No one is suggesting though that they be forced to learn it. If they don't want to then they shouldn't expect and we shouldn't be pandering to them in their native language, IMO.
It's extremely rare to find a Native American who does not speak at least some English. Their native languages are rapidly dying out. It's sad.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:09 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,285,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A convicted murderer appealed his sentence because a Spanish-only speaking prospect juror was dismissed from jury duty. He lost the appeal but the NM Supreme Court ruled that lack of English is not a reason to exclude jurors, it violates their constitutional rights, and they must be accommodated with translators.

New Mexico ruling: Non-English speakers can be jurors - El Paso Times
I don't know what's went on in this thread, probably a bunch of xenophobic bs being uttered by conservatives, but here is the only relevant fact and it was in the article linked to the OP's original post.

Michael Olivas, a University of Houston law professor, said New Mexico courts are required by the state's constitution to provide translators for Spanish-only speakers and typically make accommodations for others, like speakers of American Indian languages.

You'd think law and order conservatives would want to respect the state constitution of New Mexico, but hey who cares about a state constitution?

The state constitution makes the judges decision not even controversial.

conservatives continue to prove that they hate millions and millions of their fellow citizens.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by segwaywheeler View Post
You mean the white people are soon to be the(GASP!!) "the minority?"

Do you remember when AMERICA was a majority WHITE?

/sarcasm
Sadly, this what a lot of this over heated rhetoric is about fear of a changing nation. Fear of losing a white majority and racial prejudice towards non whites and their capabilities, morality, work ethic, culture, etc.

Anger over people who speak Spanish serving on a jury in New Mexico isn't about oh my GOD what a wrong thing to do, it is about, those Spanish speakers have or had enough power to force this change to force a recognition by the state that Spanish only speaking people are US citizens and deserve to serve on juries.

This power and influence terrifies conservatives who generally speaking aren't fond of non white people.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Do you remember when AMERICA was a majority WHITE?

/sarcasm
Why should whites become the minority in this country? Would you also salivate over Mexico becoming an Asian majority along with their culture even if it occurred due to illegal immigration? This is just one example of your apparent hypocricy and veiled racism.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't know what's went on in this thread, probably a bunch of xenophobic bs being uttered by conservatives, but here is the only relevant fact and it was in the article linked to the OP's original post.

Michael Olivas, a University of Houston law professor, said New Mexico courts are required by the state's constitution to provide translators for Spanish-only speakers and typically make accommodations for others, like speakers of American Indian languages.

You'd think law and order conservatives would want to respect the state constitution of New Mexico, but hey who cares about a state constitution?

The state constitution makes the judges decision not even controversial.

conservatives continue to prove that they hate millions and millions of their fellow citizens.
And the whine has been in utter disregard that the New Mexico constitution has been in place for over a hundred years. Here in New Mexico we have established that a single language will not become "official" in the state, recognizing that Spanish and Amerindian dialects were spoken long before English showed up on the scene. This is not any new change, merely the New Mexico Supreme Court reiterating that a valid juror cannot be excused from service if they do not have a grasp of the language used for court proceedings.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And the whine has been in utter disregard that the New Mexico constitution has been in place for over a hundred years. Here in New Mexico we have established that a single language will not become "official" in the state, recognizing that Spanish and Amerindian dialects were spoken long before English showed up on the scene. This is not any new change, merely the New Mexico Supreme Court reiterating that a valid juror cannot be excused from service if they do not have a grasp of the language used for court proceedings.
Wow 100years. I wrongly assumed this was a much more recent change. What is the controversy?

This seems to be what most of the citizens of the state of New Mexico want, the judges decision was simply following the law.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,071,055 times
Quote:
/sarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Sadly, this what a lot of this over heated rhetoric is about fear of a changing nation. Fear of losing a white majority and racial prejudice towards non whites and their capabilities, morality, work ethic, culture, etc.

Anger over people who speak Spanish serving on a jury in New Mexico isn't about oh my GOD what a wrong thing to do, it is about, those Spanish speakers have or had enough power to force this change to force a recognition by the state that Spanish only speaking people are US citizens and deserve to serve on juries.

This power and influence terrifies conservatives who generally speaking aren't fond of non white people.
How do either of you figure this? Many Hispanics are white, hell, some are even black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies