Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I speak Spanish to my Spanish speaking co-worker, who is also from Puerto Rico like me (yes, Oldglory, that means me and him are natural born citizens), I speak Spanish to my family. Are people going to flip **** for me doing that? Oh well, they can go pull their hair out for all I care. It's my 1st Amendment right to speak whatever language I want. I already speak English without a foreign accent, therefore, I have license to speak another language if I want to without it hindering my life here. Too bad for others who think being dumb and monolingual is a virtue
Well, aren't you just the most speshul little thing; bless your heart.

Being monolingual does not mean being dumb except, perhaps, to someone with a superiority complex which ain't too bright.

Over my relatively lengthy lifetime I've spoken four other languages than English. In fact, my first language wasn't English. So I guess it's safe for me to say that if you're nothing more than merely bilingual you must be dumb, right? But I won't. I prefer to think of you as ignorant and that can be fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,922,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why should a country learn to assimilate into American society when they are an independent nation?
Because they're crawling across our border like cockroaches & reproducing like rabbits.

They are a drain on our taxed healthcare system & are stealing American jobs left & right.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Because they're crawling across our border like cockroaches & reproducing like rabbits.
Who is "they"?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,835,771 times
Quote:
Who is "they"?
The people that always get analogies to being "cockroaches" (except when talking about them reproducing, in which case it then becomes "rabbits") around here...

Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The people that always get analogies to being "cockroaches" (except when talking about them reproducing, in which case it then becomes "rabbits") around here...
Thank you, but that doesn't help much.

Harrier will await Metro Matt's reply.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Press 1 for English 2 for Spanish. **** you I shouldn't have to press **** this is AMERICA got damn it!!!

Do you realize how much government waste goes into printing bi-lingual signs, pamphlets, & instructions?

We're bending over backwards for a country (Mexico) that cares nothing about learning to assimilate into America's & the World's society. In contrast, other 3rd World countries like the Phillipines teach English as a 2nd language their 1st day of grade school all the way till they graduate college. Mexico has no excuse.
And? Yes, this is America. We can speak whatever language we want in it. Got a problem with it? Take it up with the Founders, they were surrounded by many many people who spoke multiple languages. Or, do you have a problem with the 1st Amendment and the free market?

Why don't you tell us?

Why should a country conform to what we are? Or what the rest of the world is? This doesn't make sense at all. The rest of your paragraph also reads like a seriously uninformed rant. Mexican students learn English as a second language for more years than Americans spend learning a foreign language. Why is it those that rant and rave about Spanish somehow have no clue to how things work in Latin America?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Thank you, but that doesn't help much.

Harrier will await Metro Matt's reply.
if Harrier can't figure out who he was talking about then Harrier ain't too bright.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
if Harrier can't figure out who he was talking about then Harrier ain't too bright.
Well, since you seem to have so much insight into MM's mind, would you like to tell Harrier to who "they" refers?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, aren't you just the most speshul little thing; bless your heart.

Being monolingual does not mean being dumb except, perhaps, to someone with a superiority complex which ain't too bright.

Over my relatively lengthy lifetime I've spoken four other languages than English. In fact, my first language wasn't English. So I guess it's safe for me to say that if you're nothing more than merely bilingual you must be dumb, right? But I won't. I prefer to think of you as ignorant and that can be fixed.
Sounds like a hit a nerve with somebody

If that's what you took home from it, then by all means go ahead. Pretty much everybody to the left of me, politically, knows what I mean by conservatives take being dumb and monolingual as a virtue. I know, lots of liberals have made the same point as well.

So? Good for you. I know some German as well thanks to half of my family being German citizens and taking up Japanese, but not to please you or to feel superior to others. It's for self enrichment.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,697,206 times
Quote:
I speak Spanish to my Spanish speaking co-worker, who is also from Puerto Rico like me (yes, Oldglory, that means me and him are natural born citizens), I speak Spanish to my family. Are people going to flip **** for me doing that? Oh well, they can go pull their hair out for all I care. It's my 1st Amendment right to speak whatever language I want. I already speak English without a foreign accent, therefore, I have license to speak another language if I want to without it hindering my life here. Too bad for others who think being dumb and monolingual is a virtue
Haha, I am STILL waiting on Old glory's reply...apparently he saw it and now he is NOT answering lol. I speak spanish a lot as well or well try too. I really want to start learning another language though.

Quote:
The ironic thing about these neo-Confederates, had the South won, Latin America would be part of the CSA if their plans to annex Mexico and Central America had ever come to fruition. What will our redneck brethren do, having more than half of your citizentry be Hispanic? Oh boy, the joys of knowing history
That's an interesting thought and one that I entertain quite often

Quote:

They are a drain on our taxed healthcare system & are stealing American jobs left & right.
Who is they? You know, I got quite the feeling the there is no way in hell that you would ever say this to them to their face. Big man behind the keyboard, eh?

Quote:
Who is "they"?
Lol, you people? What do you mean you people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies