Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That's news to me. Show me. Or else what?
I had to go dig it up..it's old.

There was a judge in Tenn.
Ordered one woman to learn English or lose her daughter.
Ordered another woman to learn English, take birth control pills or lose her daughter.

Tennessee Judge to Decide Whether Mexican Immigrant Has Learned Enough English to Keep Her Child | The Progressive

More:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ce0327-ON.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Who would I contact to say something about this?
If he is a superior or municipal court judge, he will need to be re-elected.

Find out from the state when that particular seat is up for confirmation, and either start or get involved with a grass-roots campaign to oust the judge.

You may also consider writing a letter to the editor of the local papers, and/or telling your story to a reporter.

That said, Harrier doesn't see the problem.

What could possibly be wrong with giving someone an opportunity to learn something that they otherwise may have not done.

Spanish is a very useful language to speak and understand, and the person on probation will have more doors open to them once they become fluent.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Spanish is a very useful language to speak and understand, and the person on probation will have more doors open to them once they become fluent.
Perhaps but forcing it just doesn't wash.

Back in 1979, in California, I had an employer tell me they'd signed me up for Spanish lessons on company time. I told them I'd be truant and asked why they'd done so. They said because so many of this agency's (county) spoke Spanish and we had to be able to serve them. I responded that this was still America and if they wanted county services they could bloody well learn to speak English. I also left that agency shortly thereafter.

In 1995 while working for the state (still California) I received a call from someone in Tijuana, an American citizen of Mexican extraction, asking about some Medicare issues. Having said that he then asked me if I spoke Spanish. I told him I didn't and he asked me why not. My reply was to tell him I was in America and didn't have to. It turned out to be a short conversation.

Because of crap like this as soon as I retired from the state I moved back to America.

I still don't speak Spanish! I refuse.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-13-2013 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not going to say where this was or who the sitting judge was for privacy purposes, but I thought it was very un-American.

Judge's idiotic reasoning: English is going to be minority language in the next 5 years (or so he thinks). Jobs pay more to bi-lingual people (or so he thinks).

I wanted to say something so bad, but I kept my mouth shut.

Who would I contact to say something about this?
The judge is probably right about the job thing, sorry to say.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The judge is probably right about the job thing, sorry to say.
Nothing to be sorry about.

Harrier is astounded that some people view knowledge of another language to be some horrible thing, rather than as a useful skill.

They seem to think that requiring such knowledge to be a threat, instead of something which they should attempt to meet by learning Spanish, for instance.

If you don't want to learn Spanish, then don't apply for jobs which require fluency.

Meanwhile, those who are fluent will be working, and likely making more money than the Spanishphobes.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Talking about creating resentment towards hispanics....

Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Nothing to be sorry about.

Harrier is astounded that some people view knowledge of another language to be some horrible thing, rather than as a useful skill.

They seem to think that requiring such knowledge to be a threat, instead of something which they should attempt to meet by learning Spanish, for instance.

If you don't want to learn Spanish, then don't apply for jobs which require fluency.

Meanwhile, those who are fluent will be working, and likely making more money than the Spanishphobes.
Whether you think it's a good idea to learn another language, is irrelevant. This is a judge requiring a juvenile to learn another language, as a term of his probation. That is wrong. Terms of probation include not committing another crime, not political crap like this. This is another example of the attack on sovereignty and nationalism by globalists that want one world gov't, one world religion, one world military, and borderless countries. That kind of central power will be a nightmare for mankind, but they'll present it as utopia.
This is America, we speak English! Our judicial system has no business promoting the language of another country. This judge needs to be put on probation.

So many times you make sense Harrier, then you come up with ridiculous concepts like this. I never know what you will say next, because you are so inconsistent and unpredictable.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter.
Can you imagine the uproar if a judge required a defendant to learn English.
It's happened before.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
They're forcing kids to learn Spanish where I live.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Whether you think it's a good idea to learn another language, is irrelevant. This is a judge requiring a juvenile to learn another language, as a term of his probation. That is wrong. Terms of probation include not committing another crime, not political crap like this. This is another example of the attack on sovereignty and nationalism by globalists that want one world gov't, one world religion, one world military, and borderless countries. That kind of central power will be a nightmare for mankind, but they'll present it as utopia.
This is America, we speak English! Our judicial system has no business promoting the language of another country. This judge needs to be put on probation.

So many times you make sense Harrier, then you come up with ridiculous concepts like this. I never know what you will say next, because you are so inconsistent and unpredictable.
How is learning another language political? Is this some wingnut non-sense?

So? Leave him alone. He's allowed to have a different opinion from time to time. He's a free man, he doesn't need to conform to your rigid ideology. Why do you think I left the wingnut faction of the GOP? Too many rigid people like you who only think in black and white and absolutist terms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps but forcing it just doesn't wash.

Back in 1979, in California, I had an employer tell me they'd signed me up for Spanish lessons on company time. I told them I'd be truant and asked why they'd done so. They said because so many of this agency's (county) spoke Spanish and we had to be able to serve them. I responded that this was still America and if they wanted county services they could bloody well learn to speak English. I also left that agency shortly thereafter.

In 1995 while working for the state (still California) I received a call from someone in Tijuana, an American citizen of Mexican extraction, asking about some Medicare issues. Having said that he then asked me if I spoke Spanish. I told him I didn't and he asked me why not. My reply was to tell him I was in America and didn't have to. It turned out to be a short conversation.

Because of crap like this as soon as I retired from the state I moved back to America.

I still don't speak Spanish! I refuse.
Sounds like to me that you're a racist. Considering you, supposedly speak, 4 different languages, none of them being Spanish according to the little tidbit at the end of your post. Would you like to air out your racism, prejudices, and/or Hispanophobia now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies