Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:35 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So often I hear the following from the Pro Choice crowd: "I'm not pro abortion, I am pro choice." There's one problem with that statement; one of the "choices" that they support, when performed correctly, results in death 100% of the time. The Pro Death crowd needs to take a long hard look in the mirror at their War on Babies.

Please manage your own pregnancies and keep the government's nose out of other peoples'.

Thank you.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Trying to protect the life of an innocent child in the womb, is now "inherently fascist authoritarian?"
What would you call putting the rights of a zygote over the rights of a real, living, breathing human being if not authoritarian?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
No. That is incorrect. Pro-choice means you stay the hell out of other people's business, especially their medical decisions.
LOL...correct. But like i said before, it's a wasted argument. I mean really...he went to the "lump of cells" argument, and that's when you know you'd be better off watching paint dry.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...correct. But like i said before, it's a wasted argument. I mean really...he went to the "lump of cells" argument, and that's when you know you'd be better off watching paint dry.
You're probably right. It's an issue that will never be politically settled. Legally, of course, it was settled 40 years ago. But that's not good enough. Too many Americans are skating through life without having their privacy invaded by the god troops.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:39 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
But to call it "pro-abortion" is ignorant. The issue is more complex than that.
Actually, it's very simple. When you place the preposition "pro" in front of a word, it means "in favor of." If you voluntarily went to a doctor to have an abortion done, you are in favor of abortion. Otherwise, you wouldn't have gotten one. The logical conclusion is that, at least at the time when you got an abortion, you were pro-abortion.

Once again, I don't have a horse in this race. I think the entire argument over pro-choice and pro-life is just a bit silly and that it brings out the worst in most of the people who engage in it. It's rather entertaining to watch from the sidelines, but that's about as much interaction as I usually have with the whole subject. I merely wanted to point out a logical fallacy that someone posted.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
But to call it "pro-abortion" is ignorant. The issue is more complex than that.
So now, after calling the comments of his previous post "supreme ignorance" suddenly you want to discuss the topic in a civil manner?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
You're probably right. It's an issue that will never be politically settled. Legally, of course, it was settled 40 years ago. But that's not good enough. Too many Americans are skating through life without having their privacy invaded by the god troops.
To me it's really a simple issue made overly complicated by the non-acceptance of the Roe decision. It shouldn't be this hard.

You're against abortion? Fine..don't get one.

Why that escapes people goes waaaaaay the hell over my head.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So now, after calling the comments of his previous post "supreme ignorance" suddenly you want to discuss the topic in a civil manner?
It's all good. I'm fairly used to people on the P&OC boards calling my posts ignorant and/or insensitive. Some people just don't care for applied logic.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, it's very simple. When you place the preposition "pro" in front of a word, it means "in favor of." If you voluntarily went to a doctor to have an abortion done, you are in favor of abortion. Otherwise, you wouldn't have gotten one. The logical conclusion is that, at least at the time when you got an abortion, you were pro-abortion.

Once again, I don't have a horse in this race. I think the entire argument over pro-choice and pro-life is just a bit silly and that it brings out the worst in most of the people who engage in it. It's rather entertaining to watch from the sidelines, but that's about as much interaction as I usually have with the whole subject. I merely wanted to point out a logical fallacy that someone posted.
No...the "pro" is in front of the word "choice."

People are putting the preposition in front of the wrong word....by choice of course to simply be more inflammatory. I don't know anyone that's ever described themselves as pro abortion.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I've never had an abortion, and I'll bet $100 TRILLION that you haven't either. In light of that, I will reserve judgment of those who have abortions; I'll refrain from making accusations or applying labels to someone's private medical decisions. I will not guess at their motivations, attitudes, or situations.

Quote:
Of course you don't have a horse in this race. No one does. Because it's a private issue, a medical concern, and unless you are the one having an abortion, then it isn't any of your business. Moreover, since neither of us are women, we probably both need to shut the hell up. Maybe take your own advice and go back to the sidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies