Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Did you see me ask anything about Republicans or Democrats? No. I asked SPECIFICALLY about Liberals and Conservatives.
Using what definition of "liberal" and "conservative"? Modern liberals are nothing like liberals of 40 or 100 years ago. JFK would have been a conservative republican today.

There were no liberals in 1860 like 21st century US liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
So who were the Conservatives opposing during the suffrage movement of women & Blacks? Who were the Conservatives opposing when they were fighting for worker's rights and labor laws? Liberals?
I already mentioned the Progressive Party of 1912 as being instrumental in the fight for women's suffrage and the 19th Amendment. You truly do have a reading comprehension problem apparently. As for blacks, it was the Republican Party that sponsored and passed both the 13th and 14th Amendments without the support of a single Democrat.

Quote:
You know exactly what I mean by "expanded." Expanding WHO gets the benefits of rights. So once again, tell me what measures Conservatives have taken the lead in expanding WHO rights apply to and WHO gets to benefit from it.
Only someone who does not know anything about inherent rights think they can be "expanded." I suggest you look up the meaning of "inherent."

Everyone has the exact same inherent rights and neither you, nor your precious fascist government, can "expand" or "grant" them. All one can do is acknowledge and fight for them, or deny and suppress them. In that regard the Republican Party has a very long history of acknowledging and fighting for the inherent rights of others, which continues to this day. While Democrats have repeatedly denied and suppressed the inherent rights of others, and that also continues to this day.

There is no greater enemy to the traditional American values of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" than the Democratic Party.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Using what definition of "liberal" and "conservative"? Modern liberals are nothing like liberals of 40 or 100 years ago. JFK would have been a conservative republican today.

There were no liberals in 1860 like 21st century US liberals.
Democrats were never liberal, in any sense of the term. Nor are they "progressive." Democrats like to alter the language to suit their fascist agenda, and it has absolutely nothing to do with reality.

The meaning of the word "liberal" has not changed, it has always meant, and still means someone who supports liberty and equality. Two things that are an anathema to Democrats both today and in the past. The very last thing Democrats want is liberty and equality for all. Why else do you think they continue to support the bigoted and sexist Affirmative Action? Why else do you think Democrats have always opposed every civil rights legislation ever introduced? Why else do you think Democrats created the Jim Crow segregation laws?

Like I said, Democrat propagandists and wordsmiths cannot alter who and what they are, and they certainly cannot change the meaning of "liberal" as much as they try.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Democrats were never liberal, in any sense of the term. Nor are they "progressive." Democrats like to alter the language to suit their fascist agenda, and it has absolutely nothing to do with reality.

The meaning of the word "liberal" has not changed, it has always meant, and still means someone who supports liberty and equality. Two things that are an anathema to Democrats both today and in the past. The very last thing Democrats want is liberty and equality for all. Why else do you think they continue to support the bigoted and sexist Affirmative Action? Why else do you think Democrats have always opposed every civil rights legislation ever introduced? Why else do you think Democrats created the Jim Crow segregation laws?

Like I said, Democrat propagandists and wordsmiths cannot alter who and what they are, and they certainly cannot change the meaning of "liberal" as much as they try.
Again, Glitch, we can go to living civil rights activists who were alive and active in the civil rights battles. They can be asked did you see yourself as conservative? They can be asked did you see conservatives as allies?

John Lewis is alive right now, one of the original freedom riders. Ask him if conservatives were allies? Ask him if conservatives were leading the charge on civil rights?
The answer to those questions would be no.

To claim that Democrats didn't support civil rights when in fact civil rights leaders mostly identified with Democrats is an exercise in self deception if you really believe that lie.

That is spinning on top of spinning. The people in the civil rights organization had political beliefs, they did not identify as conservatives. Stop lying. conservatives had nothing, and I mean nothing to do with civil rights, equal rights for women, labor rights.

These were the great civil rights battles of the last 100 years and conservatives were missing in action and not involved in any civil rights movement.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I already mentioned the Progressive Party of 1912 as being instrumental in the fight for women's suffrage and the 19th Amendment. You truly do have a reading comprehension problem apparently. As for blacks, it was the Republican Party that sponsored and passed both the 13th and 14th Amendments without the support of a single Democrat.
So now you're saying Progressive and Conservative are interchangeable terms?

Quote:
Only someone who does not know anything about inherent rights think they can be "expanded." I suggest you look up the meaning of "inherent."

Everyone has the exact same inherent rights and neither you, nor your precious fascist government, can "expand" or "grant" them. All one can do is acknowledge and fight for them, or deny and suppress them. In that regard the Republican Party has a very long history of acknowledging and fighting for the inherent rights of others, which continues to this day. While Democrats have repeatedly denied and suppressed the inherent rights of others, and that also continues to this day.

There is no greater enemy to the traditional American values of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" than the Democratic Party.
That's exactly what I'm asking you and you're playing dumb. So answer the question. What long history of doing that have Conservatives been instrumental in. And who was their opposition? You keep throwing out party names instead of identifying ideology.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Conservatives are the ones who freed the slaves decades ago and conservatives are yet again the ones trying to free the slaves of today.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Conservatives are the ones who freed the slaves decades ago and conservatives are yet again the ones trying to free the slaves of today.
So who was trying to keep the status quo of slavery alive?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:13 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
So who was trying to keep the status quo of slavery alive?
Today it's certainly liberal Democrats who love the idea of slavery.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Karl Marx seemed to like the 1864 Republican Party:

Marx's letter to Abraham Lincoln

The workingmen of Europe feel sure that, as the American War of Independence initiated a new era of ascendancy for the middle class, so the American Antislavery War will do for the working classes. They consider it an earnest of the epoch to come that it fell to the lot of Abraham Lincoln, the single-minded son of the working class, to lead his country through the matchless struggle for the rescue of an enchained race and the reconstruction of a social world.

US Ambassador's response:

I am directed to inform you that the address of the Central Council of your Association, which was duly transmitted through this Legation to the President of the United [States], has been received by him. So far as the sentiments expressed by it are personal, they are accepted by him with a sincere and anxious desire that he may be able to prove himself not unworthy of the confidence which has been recently extended to him by his fellow citizens and by so many of the friends of humanity and progress throughout the world.

Doesn't sound conservative. Not all anti-slavery advocates were leftists, but in general the anti-slavery movement tend to be on the left rather than the right of the political spectrum.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Notice I am not saying liberals freed the slaves either. Even though this nation was founded on liberal principals, I think it is very difficult to say where someone like Abraham Lincoln would fit in modern political parties.
a Lincoln quote:

How can any one who abhors the oppression of negroes, be in favor or degrading classes of white people? Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy [sic].

Many conservatives would respond: "America: love it or leave it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies