Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Democrats opposed the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act, and supported slavery and segregation.

Republicans supported and passed the CRA and VRA, and fought against the odious "s" institutions.
Notice how I asked about Conservatives & Liberals, and not the names of political parties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
May I also inquire which Civil Right Act is the OP targeting? 1866? 1957? 1964? 1968?
64 & 68, but feel free to include earlier versions if you have a case to make.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM

45,540 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
"Both" in the sense that Liberals & Conservatives passed the DREAM Act & ACA b/c a few Conservatives breaking away from their party to vote for the Liberal agenda?
I'm sorry - I did not see any mention of the DREAM act in your original question.

With regards to Civil Rights, both parties had over 50% approval. Not so for the DREAM Act.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Notice how I asked about Conservatives & Liberals, and not the names of political parties?
Are you denying that the Republican Party was founded on the principle of abolition of slavery?

Are you denying that the Democratic Party opposed abolition?

1,466 posts, read 1,228,776 times
Liberals have done most of the momentous things in US history. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but liberals are the changers of society. Because of that, the opinions of liberals change over time. Lincoln was a liberal in 1860. Would he be one now? Who knows. He most likely would have been though.

8,391 posts, read 6,294,673 times
Quote:
Are you denying that the Republican Party was founded on the principle of abolition of slavery?
Abraham Lincoln is generally hated by modern conservatives. Let's stop pretending.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,278 times
Quote:
If you can't figure out how to make sense of the two questions that everyone else seems to understand, then that's on you.
Three separate questions, requiring 3 different answers, but using a forum for opinions or fact finding? A simple Google search would suffice.
1. Was it Liberals or Conservatives that freed the slaves?
2. Was it Liberals or Conservatives that passed the Civil Rights Act
3. Was it Liberals or Conservatives that passed the Voting Rights Act

Quote:
Was it Liberals or Conservatives that freed the slaves?
Was it Liberals or Conservatives that passed the Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, and ended segregation?
The other member asked a legitimate question.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,776 times
Quote:

Are you denying that the Democratic Party opposed abolition?
How would you get that from his post? He's saying this thread isn't about what parties did, it's about what liberals or conservatives did. But if it makes you feel better, yes, both statements are true.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Let's be very clear modern day conservatives have nothing to do with American history going back much past FDR.
Is that your stance when Conservatives mention that Republicans freed the slaves?

Quote:
Modern day conservatism is mostly a backlash movement that was formed to be in opposition to all the dramatic changes that have happened in this nation since FDR.

This is why conservatives are mostly anti- this or that. Modern American conservatism is the defined by who it perceives as its enemies and who it is against.
Historically, that's always been the catchall for Conservatism.

Quote:
Whereas generally speaking the Democratic party tries to serve all interests or at least represents itself as being interested in serving all interests, the conservative party makes definite choices.

It says screw unions,screw those interested in poverty, screw those interested in racial inequality, screw those interested in gender discrimination, screw those who are interested in immigrants, homosexual rights, the environment, etc and so on.

The conservative party says we are only going to represent these very narrow interests which we conservatives define as American interests and if you aren't on board with that then you are our enemy and you are out to destroy America.
You can't use Democratic & conservatism as posts in your argument. You're changing the scope of the discussion when you start adding in party names.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I'm sorry - I did not see any mention of the DREAM act in your original question.

With regards to Civil Rights, both parties had over 50% approval. Not so for the DREAM Act.
I was mocking your facetious use of "Both." Again, I didn't ask about political parties. I asked about Liberals vs Conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies