Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Interior Secretary: We Benefit From 'Federal Gov't Encouraging the Right Kinds of Behavior'

The "new energy future" will require the federal government to encourage "the right kinds of behavior," Interior Secretary Sally Jewell told a clean energy summit in Nevada on Tuesday.

Jewell mentioned the "right" kind of behavior twice in her speech, without specifically saying what it means. But she did give some hints.

In the first reference, Jewell was discussing the various ways that REI reduced its carbon footprint when she chaired the company. She said REI's carbon-reduction efforts began as "random acts of kindness -- things like encouraging people, including employees, to ride bikes to work; using green energy where we could, recycling and those things...."

Jewell's second reference to the “right” kind of behavior came at the end of her speech:

"If we're going to address climate change, we need to pull together as leaders to make it happen -- leaders in business, leaders in utilities, leaders in states, leaders in private industry, leaders in government, and leaders as individuals. We need to wake up and look at the landscapes and admit what's happening around us. We need to ask ourselves, how can we be part of the solution? How can we provide incentives to reward and incent the right behavior? How can we hold each other accountable?"

What's the problem? It ain't global warming.

Climate change? The climate is always changing.

If this problem is so evident...
1) they (government, elites) would change THEIR OWN behavior first. This is not happened.
2) Government would not have to encourage certain behavior. People would see an inherent danger and change our behavior on our own.

This is a fake problem in order to gain more control over people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 03:11 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Another climate change thread linking to CNS news. Seriously, what is going on?

Old 08-14-2013, 03:14 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Hold on, what exactly is the hand wringing about? Biking instead of driving, recycling, solar energy...GASP!!!!!! Jesus Christ, NAZI'S!!!! Seriously, I am so tired of people on here complaining nonstop about the government intruding in their lives, blah blah blah blah blah. What exactly happened in your brain to get the wires crossed to make you think that this is some sort of governmental brain engineering? All I can say is, put your damn tinfoil on already.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Hold on, what exactly is the hand wringing about? Biking instead of driving, recycling, solar energy...GASP!!!!!! Jesus Christ, NAZI'S!!!! Seriously, I am so tired of people on here complaining nonstop about the government intruding in their lives, blah blah blah blah blah. What exactly happened in your brain to get the wires crossed to make you think that this is some sort of governmental brain engineering? All I can say is, put your damn tinfoil on already.
No brain engineering here... just control. That's all.

Maybe your are OK with it - but for me, that's more like communist China than America.

What happened in to you to make you think this is good government behavior?

They tell what to use, when to use it, where to buy it from - that's where we are heading isn't it?

No tin foil hat needed - just open your ears and eyes. This person is telling you right here - government should encourage the "right" behavior - according to THEM.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Another climate change thread linking to CNS news. Seriously, what is going on?
If a tree falls in the forest and Fox, CNS, or whatever enemy media outlet reports it - then it didn't happen, right?

If you got proof this is inaccurate - prove it. Otherwise, please go away.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If you got proof this is inaccurate - prove it. Otherwise, please go away.
Interesting comment, because it actually seems as if you want to only hear from people who agree with you.

I'm happy to go away though. I think I might go see what's new at REI.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Interesting comment, because it actually seems as if you want to only hear from people who agree with you.

I'm happy to go away though. I think I might go see what's new at REI.
a bunch of stuff made in china. enjoy.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,586 times
[quote=DRob4JC;30963613]No brain engineering here... just control. That's all.

Maybe your are OK with it - but for me, that's more like communist China than America.

They tell what to use, when to use it, where to buy it from - that's where we are heading isn't it?

No tin foil hat needed - just open your ears and eyes. This person is telling you right here - government should encourage the "right" behavior - according to THEM.[/quote

Calm down there now friend. Obama will be out of office in 3.5 years. Then a republican can take over. And as we all know: no republican has ever told anyone what to do, think, how to act, how to worship, which God is right, etc etc.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
No brain engineering here... just control. That's all.

No tin foil hat needed - just open your ears and eyes. This person is telling you right here - government should encourage the "right" behavior - according to THEM.
I like riding my bike locally because:

1. it's good for my health
2. 1 liter of water (a penny, maybe less) per 20 miles vs. 21 mpg of premium gas for $4.59?
3. the weather is usually pretty nice around here
4. the wind through my hair...
5. easier to find parking, and not have to pay for it

Does that make me a commie?

If it makes you feel any better, I do, in fact, drive a sports car with a built engine that gets about 20mpg combined city/freeway.

There's nothing wrong with the government trying to weigh in on what is sensible behavior - wasn't it Ronald Reagan's wife who spearheaded the whole "Just Say No" thing? Well, some people can't see the inherent danger in things that are plainly dangerous - some of them gullible kids who could be duped into having a toke, and some of them people like you, who probably don't see any harm in fracking, using high fructose corn syrup in everything, cutting down a few forests here or there...

Old 08-14-2013, 04:12 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Interior Secretary: We Benefit From 'Federal Gov't Encouraging the Right Kinds of Behavior'

The "new energy future" will require the federal government to encourage "the right kinds of behavior," Interior Secretary Sally Jewell told a clean energy summit in Nevada on Tuesday.

Jewell mentioned the "right" kind of behavior twice in her speech, without specifically saying what it means. But she did give some hints.

In the first reference, Jewell was discussing the various ways that REI reduced its carbon footprint when she chaired the company. She said REI's carbon-reduction efforts began as "random acts of kindness -- things like encouraging people, including employees, to ride bikes to work; using green energy where we could, recycling and those things...."

Jewell's second reference to the “right” kind of behavior came at the end of her speech:

"If we're going to address climate change, we need to pull together as leaders to make it happen -- leaders in business, leaders in utilities, leaders in states, leaders in private industry, leaders in government, and leaders as individuals. We need to wake up and look at the landscapes and admit what's happening around us. We need to ask ourselves, how can we be part of the solution? How can we provide incentives to reward and incent the right behavior? How can we hold each other accountable?"

What's the problem? It ain't global warming.

Climate change? The climate is always changing.

If this problem is so evident...
1) they (government, elites) would change THEIR OWN behavior first. This is not happened.
2) Government would not have to encourage certain behavior. People would see an inherent danger and change our behavior on our own.

This is a fake problem in order to gain more control over people's lives.
I think it is refreshing for the goverment to encourage good things. What the heck do you want them to do endorse hacking off limbs like they do in countries where they mine blood diamonds....yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies