Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The US government and spicifically the EPA spend hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars funding research. the EPA is on record (as is the president) that they believe human caused climate change is real and a real threat to America and the world...

and you dont think there is bias in the research funded by this source but you do think there is bias in the research funded by the likes of Exxon...

really?
Why wouldn't the government and EPA fund the research? Of course there is an agenda and quite frankly, I approve of it. I certainly am not stupid enough to support the polluters that have everything to lose, which is a pretty strange thing to say considering that they already have a the money in the world.. the greedy piggish reptiles that they are.

Quote:
Climate disruptions put our food and water supply at risk, endanger our health, jeopardize our national security, and threaten other basic human needs. Some impacts—such as record high temperatures, melting glaciers, and severe flooding and droughts—are already becoming increasingly common across the country and around the world. So far, our national leaders are failing to act quickly to reduce heat-trapping emissions.

Warming Contrarians

Why has it been so difficult to achieve meaningful solutions? Media pundits, partisan think tanks, and special interest groups funded by fossil fuel and related industries raise doubts about the truth of global warming. These deniers downplay and distort the evidence of climate change, demand policies that allow industries to continue polluting, and attempt to undercut existing pollution standards.
Global Warming | Union of Concerned Scientists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and how exactly does this counter what I posted and how does this debunk climate change?
Your assertion is that groups funded by the fossil fuel industry are biased, in this case the leading environmental organization in this country was accepting funds from the fossil fuel industry.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
This alone would account for the "2.5%" of dissenters that some find so compelling.
Since we are getting down to specific percentages I can assume you are referring to the Doran study?

http://tigger.uic.edu/~pdoran/012009_Doran_final.pdf
Quote:
97.4% (75 of 77) answered yes to question 2
If you would like to continue to debate this study lets have at it becsue I'm very familiar with it.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
which is a pretty strange thing to say considering that they already have a the money in the world.. the greedy piggish reptiles that they are.
If you think the fossil fuel industry is costing you money you haven't seen nothing yet. The fossil fuel industry dominates becsue it's cheap, what other conclusion could you expect other than it costing you more without them?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:07 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,855 times
Default Man Made Global Warming = Fake

I'm going to do everyone a favor and post something that was posted by another poster, far, far, more knowledgeable than I.

That way, you can move on to REAL problems. Hey, who needs a job anyway, right?

You can thank me later.

See below:

For the record, exactly how many Inter-Glacial Periods have you witnessed or experienced?

See this....

....that is your Earth, 99.99% of the time.

The other 0.01% of the time it is like it is now.

Anytime your ready for 6 Billion people to freeze and starve to death, just give the word.

I also get the impression you are not familiar with Eccentricity. Here's a nice example:

Earth does not orbit the Sun in a perfectly circular orbit.

Earth is more or less "anchored" at a fixed distance from the Sun on its pseudo-apogee but the pseudo perigee is not a fixed point -- the Earth moves to and fro across a period of about 100,000 years.

And right now, the Earth is about to reach maximum perigee (between December 2012 and January 2013). Once that happens, Earth will begin moving farther away from the Sun and the Earth will very soon (in geologic terms -- not human terms) return to an Ice Age.

Here's a more exaggerated depiction:

Imagine Earth's pseudo-perigee moving between where Mercury is and where Earth is. Like I said, it's exaggerated, but it illustrates the point, namely that when you are closer to a source of heat...

...you get really warm.

And then there's the North Magnetic Pole which is moving about like a mole.

I won't even get into that, because half of it would go over your head and the other half would go way, way over your head.

Suffice to say that UV particles, protons, neutrons, gammas and X-rays are shunted at the North Magnetic Pole and that in part drives weather patterns on Earth.

Since the magnetic pole has moved, guess what?

Those UV particles, protons, neutrons, gammas and X-rays are being shunted to a different location than they were previously.

For all of you who wanted to know the $64,000 Question and why Tornadoes are appearing in places they never appeared before...

.....now you know why.

AND this:

his is "Normal Earth" or how Earth typically is 99.99% of the time:

What part of "Normal Earth" do you not understand?

That has been "Normal Earth" for 23 Million years. Why? Simple, 23 Million years ago, the tectonic plate on which the Panamanian Isthmus rests crashed into the tectonic plate on which Colombia rests.

Before that happened, ocean currents circulated from the South Atlantic through the Gulf of Panama into the South Pacific, and then as the seasons changed, it reversed from the South Pacific through the Gulf of Panama into the South Atlantic.

Once the Gulf was closed off, your weather patterns and the climate permanently changed, because since then, ocean currents from the South Atlantic circulate into the North Atlantic, instead of into the South Pacific.

That, and several other factors resulted in a cooling of Earth, into partial glacial state, uh, like this:

I'll show that again, because of the lot of you just can't seem to grasp Geology 101, and unless and until you do, I would advise you to refrain from taking any geology course at university level, lest you fail them and ruin your GPA.

AND this:

See that? That is a decent representation of the magnetic fields.

Are you all aware that the geographic location of magnetic north changes over time?

Are you all aware that it has changed a lot recently (in geologic terms)?

See this?

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2112$sx1836$s and weights 609$sKB.

That is your north magnetic pole has it has migrated over the last century or so.

Are you all aware that the Earth is struck every second by non-ionizing UV radiation and by ionizing Gammas, X-Rays, Protons and Neutrons?

Are you all aware that when these particles enter your upper atmosphere, they ionize the gases in your atmosphere, and they do that by knocking orbiting electrons loose from diatomic Oxygen, diatomic Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and other gases, plus water molecules?

Are you aware that this ionization creates the "ionosphere," a region that encompasses part of the Stratosphere and Mesosphere?

Are you aware that this ionization interferes with electromagnetic radiation in certain bands, namely the short wave bands and the AM Radio band? And that it also degrades the performance of FM Radio, UHF/VHF and long wave radio bands?

Are you aware that those particles that still have sufficient energy and have not been scattered or reflected back into space then continue until they interact with the Ozone Layer?

Are you aware that those particles that still have sufficient energy and have not been scattered or reflected back into space will then interact with Earth?

You see, that is what heats your Earth -- the energy from those particles.

I don't want to mislead anyone, so I'll say that the bulk or vast overwhelming majority of those particles are non-ionizing UV radiation (that's why you get a sun-tan or sun-burn). The remainder of those particles, the ionizing radiation consisting of gammas, X-rays, protons and neutrons make up the solar component of the Natural Background Radiation that exists on Earth (the terrestrial component being ionizing particles from the decay of radio-isotopes in the Earth's crust and those in your home --- like the Radon in you basement, and all of the polonium and radioactive potassium and such in your paint, your counter tops, your furniture, your masonry, your coffee etc etc etc. That is much more dangerous than the Funkymama reactors in Japan, but most of you don't understand that, or insist upon being willfully ignorant and you run around like a raped ape whenever you hear "radiation."

Occasionally, the Sun will kick off a larger number of particles that wreck havoc with your communications systems.

And infrequently, the Sun will kick off a massive X-ray storm also accompanied by a massive proton storm, just like in 1859 when the Carrington Event occurred.

Such an event will happen again, and when it does, you'll be in the Stone Age and 300 Million out of 312 Million Americans will be dead within 1 year.

You should put that into perspective with your global warming nonsense.

Anyway, the exact location of the magnetic north pole determines where those particles are reflected, scattered and shunted on Earth, and that is to the greatest extent what drives your weather.

Maybe that's a better graphic representation.

The location of magnetic north affects the levels of energy in the atmosphere which in turn affects your weather and epsecially the jet streams:

This one is probably the best representation.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you think the fossil fuel industry is costing you money you haven't seen nothing yet. The fossil fuel industry dominates becsue it's cheap, what other conclusion could you expect other than it costing you more without them?
I have been paying more for eco-friendly products for years and will gladly continue to do so.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you would like to continue to debate this study lets have at it becsue I'm very familiar with it.
I only debate actual controversies.

AGW is not one.

NCSE | National Center for Science Education - Defending the Teaching of Evolution in Public Schools.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,022 times
You clearly are far, far, far from knowledgable if you believe this nonsense.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You clearly are far, far, far from knowledgable if you believe this nonsense.
...and clearly the propaganda machine of the Koch Bros/Big Oil has doubled down recently because there has been an inordinate amount of denier threads lately.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't the government and EPA fund the research? Of course there is an agenda and quite frankly, I approve of it. I certainly am not stupid enough to support the polluters that have everything to lose, which is a pretty strange thing to say considering that they already have a the money in the world.. the greedy piggish reptiles that they are.
Which is why you demand appeals to authority and dismiss those who question the validity of the supporting research. You, like them, have an agenda and can not be trusted to be honest or objective about the topic. It is why CAGW supporters resort to fallacious tactics. They are not concerned about the facts, they are concerned about their "agenda" being seen to fruition.

I hope you know, you have just verified (at least for yourself), that anything you say should be disregarded due to your self admitted agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies