Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Wut? Most of the budgetary problems in Chicago are related to unions and the underfunded pensions, not museums or zoos.
I know but they should prioritize funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
That's not true. Stop and Frisk has been in place for at least 10 or 20 years.

Here's the stop and frisk timeline.

Timeline | The City's Use of Stop-and-Frisk - WNYC
I disagree and stand by my previous post.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
hey knowing you might get shot trying to mug someone might make them think twice, or get them shot, either way a great thing..as for the last bit apples and oranges. I mean a crip is nothing like a Suicide bomber.
Being armed gives someone the illusion of being safe, just like airport security checkpoints give people the illusion that they work.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
There are plenty of people like myself who don't want to carry a gun, ever. Just because guns are legal doesn't mean we all will carry them.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-15-2013, 12:22 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I disagree and stand by my previous post.
Why would Al Sharpton threaten to sue in 2007 if stop and frisk wasn't implemented until 2010?

Frost Illustrated: Sharpton launches anti?stop-and-frisk class-action lawsuit

Maybe Urbanlife can clarify if NYC adopted stop and frisk in 2010.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Why would Al Sharpton threaten to sue in 2007 if stop and frisk wasn't implemented until 2010?

Frost Illustrated: Sharpton launches anti?stop-and-frisk class-action lawsuit

Maybe Urbanlife can clarify if NYC adopted stop and frisk in 2010.
I cannot, I only moved there a little over a year ago, I am guessing the timeline of stop and frisk is true but I don't know for sure.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 AM

18 posts, read 26,475 times
According to Chicago police stats, there were 29 percent fewer homicides (184 in total) through the first six months of 2013. There were 260 in 2012 through July. Not since 1965 had the city seen such a stark decline in murders. While more than 200 murders are nothing to celebrate, there is progress being made.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella2 View Post
According to Chicago police stats, there were 29 percent fewer homicides (184 in total) through the first six months of 2013. There were 260 in 2012 through July. Not since 1965 had the city seen such a stark decline in murders. While more than 200 murders are nothing to celebrate, there is progress being made.
The cops are putting in alot of overtime to achieve that decline.

Chicago Homicides Down So Far This Year, But Police Overtime Dollars Are Drying Up

Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
I am not trying to down play murder or violence in the city of Chicago. There are way to many murders, and because I live in what is known as the Chicagoland area, I understand that this whole area's economic fate is tied to the city of Chicago.

And violence or the perception that the city is violent has devastating effects on the people living in Chicago, and businesses, and people thinking about moving to Chicago, etc.

But I grew up in the Chicagoland area, and as a teen especially I remember violence was much worse in the past. Many more murders, a lot more open drug selling in certain neighborhoods. All of those things are demonstrably better.

In fact, if you would have asked people back in the mid to late 80's and early 90's my teenage years, how they'd feel if the number of murders were cut in half, they would have said it is a miracle.

Well the number of murders from when I was a teen to now have been cut in half or even more then half. A lot of progress has been made.

I think it is important to have some kind of perspective even the most dangerous neighborhoods are less dangerous then they used to be by comparison to the past.

That is cold comfort for people who are dealing with violence on a daily basis, but it is the objective truth.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Funeral director says Chicago gun violence destroying city
August 14, 2013 7:44 PM
By Danielle Nottingham

(CBS News) CHICAGO -- The Leak and Sons funeral home has been on Chicago's South Side for 80 years. Spencer Leak Sr. arranges 2,000 funerals a year. More and more, they are for shooting victims.

Leak says he's arranged about 45 gun-violence-related funerals so far this year.

That's about the number of murders last year in Seattle and Tampa, combined.

"A significant portion of my day is spent trying to counsel with mothers who have lost sons through gun violence," Leak says. "I saw three mothers over the weekend. I'm waiting to see a mother today, possibly another."

"My heart goes out to her, because I know what's happening to her ... I just can't turn her down or away," he says.

Leak says the hardest part of his job is "the age of the young people."

"The fact that they are victims of just rage, rampant violence, not necessarily directed toward them," he says.
One was Jonylah Watkins. She was hit by a bullet meant for her father.

"I buried this little baby -- six months old -- the most beautiful baby you would ever see," Leak says. "A baby girl killed in her father's lap. That just goes all through me -- it makes my stomach turn to have to do that. I'm angry, I'm sad."

"I just worry about my grandchildren having to live in a city that's so divided that we're destroying ourselves," he says.

Funeral director says Chicago gun violence destroying city - CBS News

Way back when, if the gangs of outlaws got too big for the sheriff to handle, the posse was rounded up and the US Marshall was notified. If it was too bad, the US Calvary was called in to round up the gang members and restore peace in the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies