Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,747,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I guess theyll just have to ban guns.....
Yep. Clearly, Chicago doesn't have enough anti-gun laws, and hasn't had enough for many years.

Making more is the solution. It's never been tried before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,933,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I see this is just another thread against gun control, if only everyone in Chicago had a gun, then everyone would be safer....forgetting the fact that most gang members are shooting at other armed gang members. Clearly being armed doesn't prevent gun violence.

Call me crazy urban, but in having common sense, if I knew that people could potentially be armed, I'd be less likely to want to start some bulls*** with them, (such as attempting to rob their place of business, home, or attempt to mug someone) because there is a good chance that I could end up dead in the process.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 AM

18 posts, read 26,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The problem is that most of the innocent people are shot by stray bullets and not directly by some thug with a gun. Easing access to guns will reduce the crime rate, but not by much. As it currently stands the CPD only clears about 33% of homicide cases.

This isn't to say that Chicago's crime problem shouldn't be addressed - it should. As Illinois and Chicago pension and debt obligations continue to mount there is going to be less money available to even fight crime. There was a recent article that stated crime is down this year, but the cops had to put in a lot of overtime to achieve that reduction.

Where do you think the stray bullets come from? Directly from thugs with guns. Guns don't load and fire themselves.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,218,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella2 View Post
Where do you think the stray bullets come from? Directly from thugs with guns. Guns don't load and fire themselves.
Yes, I believe I said that.
What's your point?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,747,138 times
Quote:
if only everyone in Chicago had a gun,
Quote:
So you want children to be armed with guns?
Quote:
So gang members would disappear if people were armed
I see little urbanlife78 is still telling the same fibs about what sensible people say about guns and the solutions to crime problems.

It seems to be a common leftist tactic. If you can't refute what someone says, pretend he said something else, lie about it, and then "refute" your own lies instead.

No wonder they can't solve the problems. Not only do their own "solutions" not work, they don't dare try normal people's solutions either, they're too busy spinning and demagoguing them.

The web of deceit these people spin defies all belief sometimes. What is the point?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,847,236 times
Quote:
I see this is just another thread against gun control, if only everyone in Chicago had a gun, then everyone would be safer....forgetting the fact that most gang members are shooting at other armed gang members. Clearly being armed doesn't prevent gun violence.
So,,,, how is this problem?

Those people chose the life they wanted to live. I don't feel the least bit sorry for them, or for their mothers for that matter. Living in Chicago with children should be considered child abuse. They should have made better choices and given their children better lives. I'd wager most of them are waiting for the government to do that for them, though.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 PM

11,069 posts, read 10,629,624 times
Quote:
So you want children to be armed with guns? That doesn't solve any problems because it is obvious gang members have no problem shooting at people that have guns on them.

Also while we are googling things, you should google NYC vs Chicago crime rate.
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but isn't that about 3,000 times now that you have deliberately misconstrued what another poster has said in order to make your point?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:34 PM

18 posts, read 26,238 times
Would stop and frisk work in Chicago? I know a judge recently ruled that it was racial profiling and unconstitutional. But something has to be done to remove weapons from the hands of juveniles, mentally ill and violent criminals. Choices: constitutional rights v safety and security.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 PM

23,343 posts, read 17,025,195 times
Stupid is as stupid does....keep focusing on the gun violence as the source of the problem to ensure the problem never ever gets better of goes away.

Profoundly stupid politicians care not to address the real problem that would reduce GV to a level no one would even notice.

In Nj if you rode herd over a city where more than a murder a month occured since the 60s, the electorate would make you a senator. Don't think guns are the problem.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:41 PM

77,799 posts, read 59,963,843 times
The city isn't being destroyed.

Lincoln Park, the gold coast etc. have a murder rate of about 1 per 100,000 which is lower than Canada.

Other parts of Chicago have a rate 40x higher.

You know why?

It's because the vast vast majority of murder victims are black male gang members and it's cheaper to let them kill each other off and tighly police the good areas than to invest in diversion programs etc. THEY DON'T CARE.

The city gets away with this policy because:
1) They blame guns to divert public anger.
2) Their political affilation makes them immune to charges of racism and complaints by black leaders are muted because if they make too big of a fuss they get in trouble and can lose their seat at the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies