Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Indeed. It's comparing a 2nd Amendment right to a... well... nothing actually.

But I digressed by responding to a poster's off topic tangent. Back on topic...
Um, where is the 2nd Amendment issue?

And it's comparing discrimination against a person based upon the ownership of a thing to discrimination against a person based upon an innate, biological characteristic. That's the apples to Cadillacs failed analogy.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
They're the same issue, actually,
Not at all. Sexual preference is not a race despite you desperately wanting it to be one. The homosexual was never considered property, sold as slaves, made to sit in the back of a bus, or drink from a separate water fountain.

This is yet another incidence of homosexual bullying to force the business to go against their core religious belief just because they say so. There are plenty of other bakeries for these disgruntled malcontents to go to. Why insist on bullying a business who clearly wants nothing to do with you when there are plenty of other establishments available?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Not at all. Sexual preference is not a race despite you desperately wanting it to be one. The homosexual was never considered property, sold as slaves, made to sit in the back of a bus, or drink from a separate water fountain.

This is yet another incidence of homosexual bullying to force the business to go against their core religious belief just because they say so. There are plenty of other bakeries for these disgruntled malcontents to go to. Why insist on bullying a business who clearly wants nothing to do with you when there are plenty of other establishments available?
Indeed. At the end of the day, even if the abominations tantrum their way, these miscreants will still be reprobate and persona non grata.

Morality is not magically equivalent to legislation or case law. That's a huge fallacy of Liberalism -- Liberals believe otherwise.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Not at all. Sexual preference is not a race despite you desperately wanting it to be one.
But they are both innate, biological characteristics. Biological sex is not race, yet we treat them the same when it comes to anti-discrimination laws. National origin is not race, yet we treat them the same when it comes to anti-discrimination laws. Religion is not race, yet we treat them the same when it comes to anti-discrimination laws (despite religion being a 100% choice and not an innate characteristic).
Quote:
The homosexual was never considered property, sold as slaves, made to sit in the back of a bus, or drink from a separate water fountain.
True. During the slavery period in this country, the homosexual was not considered property - he instead was considered criminal and subject to arrest and execution (and the US most certainly did execute people for being gay - the last state to do so being California).

During the Jim Crow days we no longer faced execution, we simply faced the potential of being sent to prison for a term as long as a life sentence or alternatively being involuntary committed to a mental institution where we were routinely castrated and lobotomized.

Quote:
This is yet another incidence of homosexual bullying to force the business to go against their core religious belief just because they say so.
Baking a cake to sell for profit is in no way whatsoever a religious act; it's a commercial act.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
So if I walked into a gay bakery with my chic fil a shirt, or my Adam and Eve (not Steve) shirt, would they be forced to serve me? If not, could I sue?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
So if I walked into a gay bakery with my chic fil a shirt, or my Adam and Eve (not Steve) shirt, would they be forced to serve me? If not, could I sue?
It would depend why they refused to serve you.

If they said we are not serving you because you are a man or because you're white, then they cannot legally deny you service. They can, however, deny you service because of your speech.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It would depend why they refused to serve you.

If they said we are not serving you because you are a man or because you're white, then they cannot legally deny you service. They can, however, deny you service because of your speech.
Absolutely.

And the mere fact that the question was even posed indicates the poster doesn't have a clue about what they're talking about.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times
Quote:
Baking a cake to sell for profit is in no way whatsoever a religious act; it's a commercial act.
Yet in doing so in this particular circumstance violates the bakery owner's right to freedom of his religious beliefs. What is most perplexing about this cake issue is why on earth would these lesbians, or anybody for that matter, want a food product prepared for them by someone that clearly does not want their business? Would they really have no concern at all that the food may have been surreptitiously tampered with or otherwise contaminated?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yet in doing so violates the bakery owner's right to freedom of his religious beliefs.
This argument has never made any sense to me. It holds no water. Selling a thing is not religious. Selling things is commerce.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
But they are both innate, biological characteristics. Biological sex is not race, yet we treat them the same when it comes to anti-discrimination laws. National origin is not race, yet we treat them the same when it comes to anti-discrimination laws. Religion is not race, yet we treat them the same when it comes to anti-discrimination laws (despite religion being a 100% choice and not an innate characteristic).

True. During the slavery period in this country, the homosexual was not considered property - he instead was considered criminal and subject to arrest and execution (and the US most certainly did execute people for being gay - the last state to do so being California).

During the Jim Crow days we no longer faced execution, we simply faced the potential of being sent to prison for a term as long as a life sentence or alternatively being involuntary committed to a mental institution where we were routinely castrated and lobotomized.

The SCOTUS has not deemed homosexuals a protected class. It is simply not deemed immutable, as is race and gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies