Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Why can’t the homosexual respect the religious rights of others and act accordingly?
Like I said, you keep framing the selling of a thing as religious. It's not. No religious rights are violated when you place a regulation on a commercial business saying that it can't discriminate against a person because he or she is gay.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:33 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Um, where is the 2nd Amendment issue?

And it's comparing discrimination against a person based upon the ownership of a thing to discrimination against a person based upon an innate, biological characteristic. That's the apples to Cadillacs failed analogy.
Speech (verbalized thoughts) isn't innate or biological and is protected. You lose.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:35 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you couldn't be more wrong.... business thrives out west...
Doh!

By region the West has the highest employee burden costs by percent than any other region in the US. And this is why businesses are relocating away from the Left Coast in droves.

Anyone with a semblance of real world basic business experience knows this.

The BLS confirms it: Table 1. Employer Costs for Employee Compensation and associated relative standard error in private industry in the United States and by geographic region, census division, and locality, March 2009

Old 08-15-2013, 10:35 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Speech (verbalized thoughts) isn't innate or biological and is protected. You lose.
What do you mean by "speech ... is protected"? How is it protected when it comes to anti-discrimination laws in the realm of businesses and public accommodation?

And why are you bringing up "speech" in reference to the post of mine you quoted? How is either owning a gun or being gay (the two things that were being compared) speech?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Wow, who invited the genius. You are right, I don't know the answer, which is why I asked a question. Do you understand how this process typically works? Clearly someone so intellectually superior should know. Someone asks a question - it typically means the person who asked does not know the answer - or as you claim, have no idea what I'm talking about. Congrats, you know more about gay rights than me.
Take a civics class.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Doh!

By region the West has the highest employee burden costs by percent than any other region in the US. And this is why businesses are relocating away from the Left Coast in droves.

Anyone with a semblance of real world basic business experience knows this.

The BLS confirms it: Table 1. Employer Costs for Employee Compensation and associated relative standard error in private industry in the United States and by geographic region, census division, and locality, March 2009
All that chart shows is that people in the West Coast have higher wages. We do, it's pretty awesome. And we use those great wages to shop and dine at great local businesses.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Lesbian couple refused wedding cake files state discrimination complaint | OregonLive.com

What sort of recourse do people in this instance have who are refused service?

First of all, you cannot force a business owner to perform the service. For the government to do that would amount to slavery. Part of the definition of slavery is forcing others to work against their will.

So does a business get administrative penalties, aren't allowed to renew their license, etc? I'm just curious what sort of punishments are levied.

I'm also extremely interested in how the flipside would work. I live in an extremely liberal city and would consider wearing some sort of anti-gay marriage shirt with a bible quote on it to see if I was denied service at a business in one of the more liberal neighborhoods. Like sexual orientation, religion is considered a protected class as well.

Can a gay business owner deny service to someone he/she knows is anti-gay due to religious beliefs?

I really like to see this, all gays want is to be "treated like everyone else" yet when someone refuses service to them they file a lawsuit because they have been discriminated against.

Actually, a business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone (or should) so in essence they were actually "treated like everyone else" and didn't like it.

Then I like hearing how no one who lives a different lifestyle wants to have any unnecessary attention however, post after post on this very thread asks "Where is the most gay friendly neighborhood in...".
If you do not want the attention then do not seek it and do not complain when you are actually treated like everyone else who is refused service for whatever reason.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Like I said, you keep framing the selling of a thing as religious. It's not. No religious rights are violated when you place a regulation on a commercial business saying that it can't discriminate against a person because he or she is gay.
False. If the law violates the Establishment Clause, it is unconstitutional.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
False. If the law violates the Establishment Clause, it is unconstitutional.
When has that ever stopped the government?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
All that chart shows is that people in the West Coast have higher wages. We do, it's pretty awesome. And we use those great wages to shop and dine at great local businesses.
You obviously don't know what burdens mean. Never mind, like talking business to a basket weaver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies