Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Given that in this case it involved two women, I think you are confused.
I didn't feel the post required a response. "Banging someone in the butt", already isn't illegal, no one is fighting for that right. Straight couples do that. Marriage isn't about sex.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Why would a bakery deny a wedding cake? Cruel

and stupid.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Lesbian couple refused wedding cake files state discrimination complaint | OregonLive.com

What sort of recourse do people in this instance have who are refused service?

First of all, you cannot force a business owner to perform the service. For the government to do that would amount to slavery. Part of the definition of slavery is forcing others to work against their will.

So does a business get administrative penalties, aren't allowed to renew their license, etc? I'm just curious what sort of punishments are levied.

I'm also extremely interested in how the flipside would work. I live in an extremely liberal city and would consider wearing some sort of anti-gay marriage shirt with a bible quote on it to see if I was denied service at a business in one of the more liberal neighborhoods. Like sexual orientation, religion is considered a protected class as well.

Can a gay business owner deny service to someone he/she knows is anti-gay due to religious beliefs?
Old news, this came out in JANUARY. It's news again because now there is a discrimination complaint? As if they didn't complain before and contact the state attorney general's office?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
There aren't any gay bakery owners in Oregon to give the business to?
Then open one, sounds like a business opportunity to me...

Old 08-15-2013, 08:52 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Cruel and stupid? I think its ridiculous one cant run their own business the way they want. Why should others views be imposed on them. Just move onto another bakery that will do it, its as simple as that. IN the end everyone will be happy....word of mouth will spread the word that they dont make cakes for gays....the gays will go to other bakerys and the this particular bakery wont have to deal with gays asking for cakes anymore....simple as that.

Everyone just wants to make a big deal out of every little thing. Would you hire a fat person to serve as a personal trainer at your gym? Would you hire a guy as a waiter in Hooters? Would you hire an ugly girl in your beauty salon? Its all about the clients you want to attract.

Maybe this bakery would refuse a cake to someone with tatoos all over his face...shouldnt they have a right as business owner to choose who they want to serve? If I owned a bakery I would make the cake, as I dont see it as a big deal, but id like the right to choose.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Why would a bakery deny a wedding cake? Cruel

and stupid.
Most likely, by baking a wedding cake for a gay couple they are contributing to a wedding that conflicts with their religious beliefs. The problem with issues like this, both sides have justification for their stance -- the gay couple is discriminated against if the bakery refuses and the bakers are discriminated against if they're forced to violate their religious freedom.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
This is how I would handle it....

Wedding Cake ........ $250.
Gay theme .............$750.
Delivery and set up ..$300

That way I didn't refuse their business, but they were going to pay for my suffering.
In my business, if I have a client come in and I can see they are going to be "one of those", I quote them so high, they go elsewhere. I have had a few go with it and it paid to put up with their BS.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Wedding Cake ........ $250.
Gay theme .............$750.
Delivery and set up ..$300

That way I didn't refuse their business, but they were going to pay for my suffering.
Pretty sure that is much worse than just refusing. Shows you aren't willing to stand behind your beliefs at any price. Shows a direct extra cost based on sexual-orientation. As firm of a believer as I am in people not being forced to do something that violates their long-standing, deeply held religious beliefs, I am totally against different groups of people being charged different prices based solely on their membership in that group.

Nice to know your deeply held religious beliefs are worth a mere $750.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If Obama was in a lesbian relationship...
FFS...does someone have to say a phrase like this for every single topic, no matter what it is? Originality is obviously not the strong point of this forum.

As for my thoughts on the subject: yes, a business owner can decide to do whatever they want in most places. And yes, the market can sort it out, as many claim. Isn't that exactly what this is? People informing others of what happens to them so that others can decide if they want to patronize or avoid this business? Isn't putting out a story about such things actually the market at work? Or should everyone just stay quiet any time something like this happens, and let it keep happening to others? I, for one, am glad to see business owners called out on their crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

In my business, if I have a client come in and I can see they are going to be "one of those", I quote them so high, they go elsewhere. I have had a few go with it and it paid to put up with their BS.
So all gay people are "those"?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Pretty sure that is much worse than just refusing. Shows you aren't willing to stand behind your beliefs at any price. Shows a direct extra cost based on sexual-orientation. As firm of a believer as I am in people not being forced to do something that violates their long-standing, deeply held religious beliefs, I am totally against different groups of people being charged different prices based solely on their membership in that group.

Nice to know your deeply held religious beliefs are worth a mere $750.

"one of those" does not mean Gay, in my line of business. Gays pay damn good.
It is my "instant ass hole" charge.

I'm just saying, those all hell bent on refusing service to people, for some odd reason who knows why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies