Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Why would a bakery deny a wedding cake? Cruel

and stupid.
How is it cruel? They already know that gay marriage isn't yet legal in Oregon. It should be no surprise to them that some people and businesses wouldn't be happy doing work for a gay wedding. They just needed to go find another bakery to make a cake for them. Geesh.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They ought to be glad they refused to make it instead of agreeing to it and then doing like Jesse Jackson used to, and spitting in it. Just order your cake from someone who deserves your money and let those who are jerks suffer the business loss. I don't get the notion of trying to financially reward bigots by forcing them to take your money.

Have to agree. I certainly wouldn't patronize an establishment that didn't want me there.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:17 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think I will. I expect to be served and not discriminated against for my religious beliefs which is also included in Oregon's law.
I'm pretty sure that is a different scenario. You are walking around looking for trouble. If you are wanting to incite anti-social behavior in others then I am pretty sure you can be banned from getting a service. This lesbian couple just wanted their wedding cake. They weren't looking for a scene or drama.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:21 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The chances of your kids being in a public place and seeing the behavior you described are slim to none.

If you know about what people are doing in the privacy of their home it's because you were interested enough to seek out the information. Don't peek.

I have family whose children were accidentally exposed to this gay SICKNESS/DISEASE while driving in San Fransicko. A few of the degenerate and sexually perverted IMMORAL scum were dry humping each other on floats while wearing next to nothing.

Funny thing is this sexual perversion was also a brain child of leading marxism theorists using social marxism methodology to bring it into fruition.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Lesbian couple refused wedding cake files state discrimination complaint | OregonLive.com

What sort of recourse do people in this instance have who are refused service?

First of all, you cannot force a business owner to perform the service. For the government to do that would amount to slavery. Part of the definition of slavery is forcing others to work against their will.

So does a business get administrative penalties, aren't allowed to renew their license, etc? I'm just curious what sort of punishments are levied.

I'm also extremely interested in how the flipside would work. I live in an extremely liberal city and would consider wearing some sort of anti-gay marriage shirt with a bible quote on it to see if I was denied service at a business in one of the more liberal neighborhoods. Like sexual orientation, religion is considered a protected class as well.

Can a gay business owner deny service to someone he/she knows is anti-gay due to religious beliefs?
I like how you pretend to be okay with gay people.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings on the subject. On the one hand, I don't think that most of us would be okay with that if the refusal was due to race, and I've argued here before why it shouldn't be (it promotes division.) On the other hand, I think with something that's currently as touchy as gay marriage, and just how things are structured differently regarding race and sexual orientation, that it's probably better for them to pick their battles and go find a bakery that would be okay with that instead of going the confrontational lawsuit route.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I have family whose children were accidentally exposed to this gay SICKNESS/DISEASE while driving in San Fransicko. A few of the degenerate and sexually perverted IMMORAL scum were dry humping each other on floats while wearing next to nothing.

Funny thing is this sexual perversion was also a brain child of leading marxism theorists using social marxism methodology to bring it into fruition.
Homosexuality is not a disease and in a thriving bustling city like San Francisco you could come across just about anything. And if your family saw this on floats then I am guessing they went during the gay pride parade. I suggest they plan their trips out a little better in the future if there are things they do no want to see.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
THAT, is exactly the point. The hypocrisy of the non-discrimination crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well I am sure you will hear some choice words, how about you take a stroll around Portland like that and let us know hoe it turned out for you.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:20 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Lesbian couple refused wedding cake files state discrimination complaint | OregonLive.com

What sort of recourse do people in this instance have who are refused service?

First of all, you cannot force a business owner to perform the service. For the government to do that would amount to slavery. Part of the definition of slavery is forcing others to work against their will.

So does a business get administrative penalties, aren't allowed to renew their license, etc? I'm just curious what sort of punishments are levied.

I'm also extremely interested in how the flipside would work. I live in an extremely liberal city and would consider wearing some sort of anti-gay marriage shirt with a bible quote on it to see if I was denied service at a business in one of the more liberal neighborhoods. Like sexual orientation, religion is considered a protected class as well.

Can a gay business owner deny service to someone he/she knows is anti-gay due to religious beliefs?

Why do conservatives keep making the same failed argument? Again, the discrimination is freedom argument seriously lost a long time ago. This argument is not going to work in a court of law in America.

Again, racists said the exact same thing about serving black patrons or hiring black employees, hey making me a private citizen running my business serve black customers is an infringement on my freedom, that argument lost.

The problem is that if you run a business then it is a public entity that the state has jurisdiction over. If you as a business owner say I won't serve black people and black people enter your place of business and refuse to leave until served and you call the police, now the racist owner expects the police and thus the government to enforce his/her racism against black people.

This is why businesses are different. This is why the government said no you can't discriminate because inevitably if the government allows this kind of discrimination then that same government will have to ENFORCE the rights of those racists to discriminate against black people.

It will be de-facto state discrimination against black people since such discrimination can only be enforced by the state, which would have been the very system this nation wanted to get away from which was state enforced but discrimination in private businesses.

This same thinking applies to homosexuals. This is a losing argument that has already lost in the courts a long time ago.

Do conservatives learn anything?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post

So you have family who was "accidentally" exposed to a Gay pride parade? Really? I'm sure they are scarred for life! Meanwhile I suggest your relatives check their children's computers and see what other things they have been "exposed" too!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by KS_Referee

I have family whose children were accidentally
exposed to this gay SICKNESS/DISEASE while driving in San Fransicko. A few of
the degenerate and sexually perverted IMMORAL scum were dry humping each other
on floats while wearing next to nothing.
ROTFLMAO!! Your kids were exposed to a slice of life in San Francisco? Oh, the horror! I'm sure they will be scarred forever and need psychiatric care.
I'm going to the Pride Parade here this coming Sunday. It's always a blast! There will be kids there. I wanted to bring my son with me but he's going to racetrack with his gay friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies