Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
So that was ALL you had?

Congress VOTED....including a majority of Democrats for the war.

France, Germany, Russia and others didn't want their involvement in violating the oil embargo exposed so it's no surprise they opposed it.

What's your reason to attempt to rewrite history anyhow? Unwilling to admit that people you'll be voting for in the next few years made the same decision as Bush?

Posted with TapaTalk
"The Democrats for the war," is the biggest zombie lie of the 2000's. There was no "vote for the war." There was the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002. The resolution authorized to seek a diplomatic resolution but also authorized President Bush to use the Armed Forces of the United States "as he determines to be necessary and appropriate" in order to "defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq. the problem was that Iraq was not a threat the the United States but the president immediately used the resolution to invade.

This is Senator Byrd's impassioned speech arguing why the Congress should require the President to come back and ask for authorization to invade:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How would Saddam know an invasion was imminent, 7 years before it actually happened? And furthermore, why would he keep weapons that were deemed illegal during war, let alone times of peace?
So in your narrative, he was a ruthless, terrorist sponsoring dictator who scoffed at international law...except this one time he wasn't. Sure, I guess that would explain giving your most powerful weapons away when youre about to be invaded...Uhhhhh...

So you're asserting that he was determined to take a knife to a gunfight.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:43 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
"The Democrats for the war," is the biggest zombie lie of the 2000's. There was no "vote for the war." There was the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002. The resolution authorized to seek a diplomatic resolution but also authorized President Bush to use the Armed Forces of the United States "as he determines to be necessary and appropriate" in order to "defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq. the problem was that Iraq was not a threat the the United States but the president immediately used the resolution to invade.

This is Senator Byrd's impassioned speech arguing why the Congress should require the President to come back and ask for authorization to invade:
Lol........note the TITLE of the resolution!

Now Democrats are so anxious to rewrite history they want to plead ignorance about what they actually voted for!?

Typical...no backbone no core beliefs....just follow the way the wind happens to be blowing today.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
So that was ALL you had?
Yes, thats all these liberal kooks have, but watch the discussion turn to Obama, and they flip flop like a fish out of water blaming not only Congress, but only those Republicans in Congress..

Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
It really doesn't matter if he had the WMD or not at the point of war.....he would still have been taking a knife to a gunfight.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
So in your narrative, he was a ruthless, terrorist sponsoring dictator who scoffed at international law...except this one time he wasn't. Sure, I guess that would explain giving your most powerful weapons away when youre about to be invaded...Uhhhhh....
If he wasnt scoffing at international laws, then why did the international community issue sanctions against him and reprimands?
Quote:
Are you now confessing that not only did he had WMD's, but suggesting he should have used them during this "gunfight, despite it being illegal, even during wartime?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:59 PM

What amazes and disgusts me is how the very moment Obama got elected the anti-war wing of liberals (basically the entire Democrat party) suddenly and quite conspicuously shut up.

It proved to me that their ONLY objective wasn't the wars themselves, but a political club against a Republican.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
If he wasnt scoffing at international laws, then why did the international community issue sanctions against him and reprimands?
Um, you're the one saying "And furthermore, why would he keep weapons that were deemed illegal during war, let alone times of peace?" So make up your mind. Did he care about what was legal or not? Or did he only care about the law in the one instance that conveniently validates your ridiculous narrative that he gave his weapons away on the eve of getting his ass kicked?

Quote:
Are you now confessing that not only did he had WMD's, but suggesting he should have used them during this "gunfight, despite it being illegal, even during wartime?
What a stupid statement on your part. The only thing I'm "confessing" is that your scenario makes no sense to anyone who isn't suffering from a chronic case of confirmation bias.
There were no weapons to ship to Syria, and if Saddam had actually possessed them, he most certainly would have held on to them since the threat of war with the US was imminent, and we have no reason to believe he wouldn't have used them if he actually had them.

Now, where in that statement do you extrapolate that I believe that he should have used them? (since i dont believe he even had them to use at that point)?
Either you're projecting, or you don't know the difference between "would" and "should"

Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
What amazes and disgusts me is how the very moment Obama got elected the anti-war wing of liberals (basically the entire Democrat party) suddenly and quite conspicuously shut up.

It proved to me that their ONLY objective wasn't the wars themselves, but a political club against a Republican.

Posted with TapaTalk

For credibility's sake, please list the wars started by Obama.

Go.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Um, you're the one saying "And furthermore, why would he keep weapons that were deemed illegal during war, let alone times of peace?" So make up your mind. Did he care about what was legal or not? Or did he only care about the law in the one instance that conveniently validates your ridiculous narrative that he gave his weapons away on the eve of getting his ass kicked?

What a stupid statement on your part. The only thing I'm "confessing" is that your scenario makes no sense to anyone who isn't suffering from a chronic case of confirmation bias.
There were no weapons to ship to Syria, and if Saddam had actually possessed them, he most certainly would have held on to them since the threat of war with the US was imminent, and we have no reason to believe he wouldn't have used them if he actually had them.

Now, where in that statement do you extrapolate that I believe that he should have used them? (since i dont believe he even had them to use at that point)?
Either you're projecting, or you don't know the difference between "would" and "should"
You DO realize that there is NO question that Saddam had WMD at one time. The only question is when he got rid of them.

In 2002 leading up to the actual war, I specifically remember Bill Clinton appearing on Larry King Live and saying he was convinced Saddam still had the weapons. Even he believed that only war could remove the threat.

People forget the mood of practically all Americans at that time were unified and determined to eliminate such threats.

Even Al Gore and Hillary spoke passionately about ridding the world of Saddam and his WMD.

Personally....I still believe that ousting Saddam was a good thing.

The "Arab Spring", although completely mis-managed by the present administration, was a direct result of the ousting of Saddam and Arabs seeing Iraqis and Afghans voting.

Posted with TapaTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies