Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

"The character of a nation can be measured by the way that nation treats its veterans." - Author unknown.

Another Veterans Day has come and gone, and the far-too-sparsely attended parades and ceremonies are over until next year. As a former Marine and someone who studies illegal immigration and the fact that the president of the United States has refused to secure American borders more than six years after the horror of 9/11, Veterans Day always brings to mind the puzzling system of priorities we have as a nation.

OnlineAthens.com | Opinion | Illegal aliens have a better lobby than U.S. military veterans 11/13/07
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 07:31 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"The character of a nation can be measured by the way that nation treats its veterans." - Author unknown.

Another Veterans Day has come and gone, and the far-too-sparsely attended parades and ceremonies are over until next year. As a former Marine and someone who studies illegal immigration and the fact that the president of the United States has refused to secure American borders more than six years after the horror of 9/11, Veterans Day always brings to mind the puzzling system of priorities we have as a nation.

OnlineAthens.com | Opinion | Illegal aliens have a better lobby than U.S. military veterans 11/13/07
[quote]On Jan. 17, 2003, the Veterans Administration changed its enrollment guidelines and began to ask detailed questions of the U.S. military veterans who apply for their promised medical benefits after that date. Questions like, "What was your income last year?", "How many dependents do you have?" and "Is your need for treatment related to your past military service?"

Vets who earn more than about $34,000 a year without a military-related medical problem are put into "Category 8g" ... and denied the promised free routine health care.

According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, emergency medical care for those formerly in the service of their nation in Category 8g is granted "on a humanitarian emergency basis and (they) are charged the applicable tortuously liable billing rate for services provided."

The illegal aliens who are demanding immunity from the equal application of American border, immigration and employment laws have no problem qualifying for free medical treatment.

No means test, no questions asked. No bills.

In 1986, the year the federal government rewarded about three million illegal aliens with a "one-time" amnesty, it also passed into law the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, which guarantees no-cost medical treatment in American emergency rooms to anyone, regardless of ability to pay or immigration status. Or both.

The fact that the 1986 amnesty was a miserable failure at its promised goal - stopping illegal immigration and illegal employment - is undeniable. EMTALA, however, is enforced and works quite well. Millions of illegal aliens receive taxpayer-funded health care - emergency or not - in America's emergency rooms at the lowest possible charge: Zero.

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...71113028.shtml

I am glad I did not eat breakfast before reading this.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:

It's disgusting, shameful. I was listening to a talk show on the radio last night, and he was saying that Bush and company ought to be impeached for not having the proper equipment for the soldiers in Iraq. One father is pursuing the issue because his son died in a vehicle that was not properly armored.

This ticks me off BIG TIME.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:

Interesting post, John . . . downright DISGUSTING and SHAMEFUL but interesting.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It's disgusting, shameful. I was listening to a talk show on the radio last night, and he was saying that Bush and company ought to be impeached for not having the proper equipment for the soldiers in Iraq. One father is pursuing the issue because his son died in a vehicle that was not properly armored.

The US military isn't the only one doing this; a British soldier was killed after he gave his body armor to another soldier (I think under orders) because there wasn't enough to go around. If he'd been wearing his own armor he would have survived being shot.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

Agreed I have 2 good friends of mine who are officers in the Army, each had to buy their own body armor (near 75lbs of armor) for use in Iraq because they were not given enough protection or it was too old.

They are officers, imagine what they enlisted were given?

Hence we get to the root of all the problems, our government.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:25 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
The main point of the article seems to be the means testing of veterans. The illegal alien part seems to be a contrasting item, not the core issue.

Moved to P&OC because I believe it really is an "other" controversy.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
I am not sure why people need to throw in "illegal alien bashing" to prove our vets are getting screwed. I think the vets getting screwed part is fairly obvious and can stand on its own merit. Always has been that way, always will be. Vets generally don't make enough scratch to get powerful lobbyists in their corner.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM

13 posts, read 61,763 times
As you know there is not one political party that will come out against the illegals, for fear of losing the mexican/hispanic vote.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Its no surprise or mystery. This country has a poor track record in regards to treatment of its vets. Its PC to care more about illegals.
The left dispises the military and its vets. No help there.
The right recognizes that vets tend to be less than vocal about neglect.
So the crusade for illegals will and does get preferential treatment.
What makes it sad is the the service the vets have given should be a loud enough voice for all americans to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies