U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 PM
 
13,710 posts, read 9,087,519 times
Reputation: 6589

Advertisements

Apparently it is a bad thing for public officials to compromise and engage in bipartisanship because the tea party is telling Alexander it is time for him to go. What I don't understand is the great irony of tea party folks and right-wingers. We hear them talk a lot about family values, compromise is a key family value that keeps families together. We also hear them talk about how government should be run like a business, compromise is a key trait at keeping a business up and running. To me it seems really childish to think that compromise and bipartisanship is somehow a bad thing.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...romising/?_r=0
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
9,282 posts, read 6,444,884 times
Reputation: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Apparently it is a bad thing for public officials to compromise and engage in bipartisanship because the tea party is telling Alexander it is time for him to go. What I don't understand is the great irony of tea party folks and right-wingers. We hear them talk a lot about family values, compromise is a key family value that keeps families together. We also hear them talk about how government should be run like a business, compromise is a key trait at keeping a business up and running. To me it seems really childish to think that compromise and bipartisanship is somehow a bad thing.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...romising/?_r=0
when you get nothing and the other side get everything, is the compromise?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM
 
20,186 posts, read 22,601,588 times
Reputation: 9268
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
when you get nothing and the other side get everything, is the compromise?
That's what liberals call compromise and why Republicans can't work with them...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 PM
 
13,710 posts, read 9,087,519 times
Reputation: 6589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
when you get nothing and the other side get everything, is the compromise?
You just described the tea party's idea of governing. That's not how the real world works.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,370 posts, read 9,242,006 times
Reputation: 6653
The meaning of a compromise has been lost to the liberal side. They speak in terms of US and THEM. They draw lines, and then move them. They deflect and belittle every valid argument. Their door only swings one way. Conservatives may have lost their way, but progressive liberals are volunteering to derail this republic.

Why should the tea party "compromise" with people that have labeled them racists?

You can't compromise with uncompromising people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
You just described the tea party's idea of governing. That's not how the real world works.
I rest my case!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
9,282 posts, read 6,444,884 times
Reputation: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
You just described the tea party's idea of governing. That's not how the real world works.
so its ok when the liberals do it, not ok when anyone else does it? you must be a liberal if you believe their is one set of rules for you, and one for everyone else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,038 posts, read 2,406,034 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Apparently it is a bad thing for public officials to compromise and engage in bipartisanship because the tea party is telling Alexander it is time for him to go. What I don't understand is the great irony of tea party folks and right-wingers. We hear them talk a lot about family values, compromise is a key family value that keeps families together. We also hear them talk about how government should be run like a business, compromise is a key trait at keeping a business up and running. To me it seems really childish to think that compromise and bipartisanship is somehow a bad thing.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...romising/?_r=0

Uh yeah, when a family compromises it doesn't pass a law forcing you to do as they say. Same with a corporation.

See the difference?

Voluntary socialism (families, corporations, civic groups) work great because they are voluntary. People are acting of their own free will. Forced socialism (government laws) don't work. If they were so great and effective they wouldn't force you to comply with threats of jail and/or fines. People are acting against their own free will.

That's how the real world has always worked. Get it? I doubt it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM
 
13,710 posts, read 9,087,519 times
Reputation: 6589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
so its ok when the liberals do it, not ok when anyone else does it? you must be a liberal if you believe their is one set of rules for you, and one for everyone else.
Did I say that or do you have trouble with reading comprehension?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 PM
 
13,710 posts, read 9,087,519 times
Reputation: 6589
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The meaning of a compromise has been lost to the liberal side. They speak in terms of US and THEM. They draw lines, and then move them. They deflect and belittle every valid argument. Their door only swings one way. Conservatives may have lost their way, but progressive liberals are volunteering to derail this republic.

Why should the tea party "compromise" with people that have labeled them racists?

You can't compromise with uncompromising people.



I rest my case!
You rest what case? You just made the case for not compromising.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM
 
2,289 posts, read 2,192,836 times
Reputation: 2656
The way I see it, both parties are being controlled by their respective fringes, thus the gridlock. Now, Dems will be along in short order to say it is only the Reps, but if that were the case, Harry Reid would not be on record saying X bill is DOA at the Senate, and his chamber might have passed a budget in the last 4 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top