Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

Within the last couple years we have been made aware of the fact that the region of Washington DC is now the richest area in the country.
Wealthiest U.S. counties ring Washington D.C. - Video on NBCNews.com

Now another interesting stat comes out: Washington DC drivers are the worst in the land. Allstate Insurance has their actuaries do an annual report to determine where the safest drivers are. This year Washington DC ranks dead last, the worst in the nation, 194 out of 194.
http://allstate.wieck.com/media/new/Report_2013.pdf

I remember reading somewhere about an academic study that found a high correlation between auto accidents and other problems, such as criminal behavior.
Traffic Overflow: Crime Versus Accidents, and More

This is of course not to say that everyone who has a traffic accident is a criminal. But criminals tend to have accidents at a much higher rate. The obvious linkage is general irresponsibility, poor impulse control, and poor decision-making.

I'm so thrilled that Washington DC, with its general irresponsibility, poor impulse control, and poor decision-making, is now in charge of medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 04:40 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Within the last couple years we have been made aware of the fact that the region of Washington DC is now the richest area in the country.
Wealthiest U.S. counties ring Washington D.C. - Video on NBCNews.com

Now another interesting stat comes out: Washington DC drivers are the worst in the land. Allstate Insurance has their actuaries do an annual report to determine where the safest drivers are. This year Washington DC ranks dead last, the worst in the nation, 194 out of 194.
http://allstate.wieck.com/media/new/Report_2013.pdf

I remember reading somewhere about an academic study that found a high correlation between auto accidents and other problems, such as criminal behavior.
Traffic Overflow: Crime Versus Accidents, and More

This is of course not to say that everyone who has a traffic accident is a criminal. But criminals tend to have accidents at a much higher rate. The obvious linkage is general irresponsibility, poor impulse control, and poor decision-making.

I'm so thrilled that Washington DC, with its general irresponsibility, poor impulse control, and poor decision-making, is now in charge of medicine.
I would gladly trade driving in DC over driving in any area with a high concentration of old blue hairs.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:44 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,778,682 times
What? There are more car accidents in DC because there's a ton of traffic.

The giant leap in logic made in this post is mind boggling.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:46 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post

It's a head-scratcher, isn't it?

Do you think it might be Obama's fault? I'm waiting with bated breath for a chart from World Nut Daily showing a spike in traffic accidents in DC since the beginning of '09. Rick, can you pull that up for us? Thanks, kid.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:52 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,513,065 times
Oh, boo hoo.
We also have among the lowest unemployment in the country, highest incomes, highest education rates, and healthiest population. But please, continue to look upon us with envy. Lately I've seen a huge influx of cars with Washington State license plates here.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
New York City, Denver, and Los Angeles don't have "a ton of traffic"?

Quote:
I'll say it is.

Are you going to correct yourself?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Oh, boo hoo.
We also have among the lowest unemployment in the country, highest incomes, highest education rates, and healthiest population. But please, continue to look upon us with envy. Lately I've seen a huge influx of cars with Washington State license plates here.

Well, thank you for reinforcing my point.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Let's talk fatal car accidents instead of fender benders. And let's make it meaningful and do so per capita.

DC comes in dead last ( pun intended). And no one was more surprised than I to see how the red states fared versus blue:

Traffic Deaths: A Surprising Dimension of the Red State-Blue State Divide | FairWarning

Traffic safety experts generally suggest that a mix of factors accounts for the varying rates. Possible variables include access to top-level trauma centers, weather conditions and how much of a state is rural, because rural residents may drive longer distances on narrow, winding roads. Lower income and education levels may also contribute to higher death rates.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Let's talk fatal car accidents instead of fender benders. And let's make it meaningful and do so per capita.

DC comes in dead last ( pun intended). And no one was more surprised than I to see how the red states fared versus blue:

Traffic Deaths: A Surprising Dimension of the Red State-Blue State Divide | FairWarning

Traffic safety experts generally suggest that a mix of factors accounts for the varying rates. Possible variables include access to top-level trauma centers, weather conditions and how much of a state is rural, because rural residents may drive longer distances on narrow, winding roads. Lower income and education levels may also contribute to higher death rates.

lol Nice counter attack from the left! I'm impressed! But I have google too. If you look at factors related to fatalities in car accidents, many are naturally related to rural, i.e. red areas. Especially speed, and lack of traffic controls.
Factors Involved in Fatal Vehicle Crashes | Bureau of Transportation Statistics

It was covered when the original lefty troll post was advanced:

Red states have more traffic fatalities than blue ones, but why? - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times
Partisans may try to torture a political explanation out of this data. Liberals might argue that friends don't let friends drive conservative. But the facts point toward a more prosaic explanation: Many "red states" offer up higher speed limits, longer drives and greater distances to hospitals and emergency services

Old 08-30-2013, 05:41 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'm so thrilled with the poorly written posts on here. While it is titled the Best Driver's Report, it's not necessarily a measure of the best drivers. Cities that don't experience snow or ice, for instance, will have a lower accident rate. Thus, the report isn't a good test of driving skill by state.

Also, it's sort of sad that your posts shows that you don't know that few politicians actually live in DC now. They typically fly in and fly out and few actually drive themselves anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies