Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:17 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
HOW would you neutralise the threat?

What sort of justification are you wanting,perhaps if the moron with the hairbrush actually HAD a gun???

Either people here live in some La-la land where everyone knows what everyone else is thinking or people simply aren't thinking very clearly...

and I ask,if the guy DID have a gun,would you be as shocked that he was shot at so many times?
Spot on. Just like in armed robberies. If the robber implies he has a gun, but doesn't actually have one, its still considered armed robbery. It was implied this guy had a gun. You get 5 officers at the scene, each fire 3 shots, theres your 15 rounds. You're talking as if the cops emptied 12 rounds, then reloaded and kept shooting (Guywithacause)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 02:19 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
If every officer shoots until the threat is neautralized, which they would have a right to do, you can get to 15 shots very easily. They are not going to go through the coordination of ready, aim, fire. They perceived the threat and fired. They do not have the luxury to stopping to assess after each shot.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
It was reported and assumed that the suspect was armed so their response of using deadly force is on the table, although not necessarily justified if they realized he in fact did not havea gun..but that is moot as the evidence suggests (thusfar) that the suspect was reported as armed.

I am a reasonable person, and as such I do not expect a roudntable discussion before the dispatch, or a conference call, or any such silliness. However, I do expect an organized and coordinated response, whatever that may be and not just reactionary shooting and chaos. I understand that these situations are in and of itself chaotic...but they are TRAINED for this and should be able to respond like an organized, trained unit.

15 shots my have been justified, but nobody in fact knows if it was or not. We are all speculating....it is more important to expect accountability than to just allow anyone a free pass on the assumption that they are right. Nothing more.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I tell you what... me and you walk into a dark room... I tell you already I have a gun and I have threatened you, whether I have a gun or not, you don't know.... I come charging at you... what are you going to do? Shoot me one time?? Two times?? Three times?? Shoot me until I am dead?? Does it matter how many shots when one is enough to kill? Cause if you shoot me once and I go down, you be lucky if I don't try to kill when you shot me only once... and thats the truth of the matter. One shot still kills as much as 15 shots... Accountability for what exactly?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:42 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
I'm curious as to what "an organized and coordinated response, whatever that may be and not just reactionary shooting and chaos" would look like?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm curious as to what "an organized and coordinated response, whatever that may be and not just reactionary shooting and chaos" would look like?
You and me both. To him, its all a game of "what if?" !!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I tell you what... me and you walk into a dark room... I tell you already I have a gun and I have threatened you, whether I have a gun or not, you don't know.... I come charging at you... what are you going to do? Shoot me one time?? Two times?? Three times?? Shoot me until I am dead?? Does it matter how many shots when one is enough to kill? Cause if you shoot me once and I go down, you be lucky if I don't try to kill when you shot me only once... and thats the truth of the matter. One shot still kills as much as 15 shots... Accountability for what exactly?
I'm glad to see some people here can think rationally!!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:50 PM

RGGR: It looks like everyother successful response to these sorts of situations...the ones that DON'T make the news. The vast majority of these situations occur without ever making the news, and do not end in someone's death. The police in most cases handle them exceptionally well considering the circumstances of working in this city. This case was one of the exceptions, and should be given the attention necessary to assure that the response was appropriate, and what improvements/adjustments, if any, can be made so that they can better handle this situation in the future.

Nobody is perfect..but we should question, learn, and hold accountable those for their actions, whether they are right or wrong.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
what happened b4 the hairbrush? i just wana know. what happened?
i mean so these guys were hiding in the bushes looking for an unarmed innocent child to murder? is that what really happened? is that really the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you .....
in your experience has any police officer ever arrested detained shot or clubed anybody that should have been, i mean ever? let me know.
the sky is cryin
(sing it)

Old 11-13-2007, 03:00 PM

There are numerous cases of proven serious abuse and murder within the ranks of those that are sworn to protect and serve, and supposedly "NY's Finest." But these are the exceptions and I believe that the vast majority TRY to do the right thing and play as fairly as they can.

But they are human, and are representative of all of us...the racists, the power trips, the wife beaters, child molesters...you get the picture. So yes there are bad seeds...but I believe the vast majority do the right thing. But to answer your question, of course there are times when officers do the wrong thing..they are human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies