Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 AM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Got lots of gun control laws on the books all over the country and those found guilty of violating those laws are prosecuted.
Hmm, it would be interesting to see data on exactly who is getting prosecuted.
...probably the same segment of society that is more likely to be criminalized than another segment.

...which goes back to the heart of what is meant by the aphorism quoted by the thread starter.
Differences in outcomes experienced by different groups in society in encounters with our so-called justice system actually begin with the way people think and feel.

All the attacks have been about the level of criminal activity in the black community - or the typical run of the mill judgmental comments about blacks in general. However, what is meant by the distinction between 'Whites commit crimes' and 'Black Males are criminals' is not about the level of criminal activity in one group or the other, it is about mentality and perception and how it gets manifested in the language people use - it's a semantics argument or sorts.

So if your mentality has a bent toward judging and demonizing blacks in general than your mentality is going to lead to to have a disparity in how you express yourself and ultimately in the way you prosecute (which is paradoxically close to persecute).

Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That would be hard to take. I can't even imagine telling someone they are so articulate unless they are a small child. I do think a lot of white people aren't really racist, just not used to being around black people. I live in a very diverse community, but my sister lives in a mostly white community. She's not racist at all, but she'd probably be the one to think you are so articulate because her only exposure to black people is from the media, and let's face it, that's not always positive. So, try not to be offended. They mean well, and exposure to you is a good way for them to learn how stupid their assumptions are.
There is something you have to understand. I've gotten the "oh, you're articulate for a Black guy" comments. I've had the "you act White" comments. And to me, it assumes that because I'm Black, I can't be "articulate". To me, the way I talk is normal. It is normal to me to to use Ebonics. The assumptions might be stupid, but I don't like it when some people make assumptions about me.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Can't stand the "why do you talk like that?" or, "you talk white" comments.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:37 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Can't stand the "why do you talk like that?" or, "you talk white" comments.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I hate it too. My little sister was exposed to such maltreatment, by other Black girls when she was in middle school. It had a horrible impact on her. From what I've been told, it is part of the reason she doesn't hang out with any Black people. It is sad and disgusting.

I got the "you act White" comments, not only from Black kids. I got it from White kids too. It even happened from a few college students. One guy(a middle-upper class White guy) used to call me "Carlton"(think about Fresh Prince of Bel-Air's Carlton Banks), and ask me to "do the Carlton dance". This same guy made this joke about me:

That kid: Do you know your daddy?
Me: Yes.
That kid: Does he live with you.
Me: Yes.
That kid: Then you're White.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
I've gotten a few of these comments too even from some of my family members (particularly those on my Dad's side). I have one aunt who is just tickled pink every time I speak because I typically don't use ebonics. I'm no prude, I'm just rather soft spoken so using too much slang just comes across as fake if I do it. I also don't wear my pants where my boxers start and I don't blast rap music. The "you act white" or "you are the whitest black guy I every met", the "oreo" comments do kind of come across as offensive b/c the way I interpret that is that you think that I think I'm too good for my own race, though that could not be further from the truth. I've even had family members say "your gonna marry a white girl" as if it's some big deal. Most black women don't find me black enough and it kind of saddens me. I'm very down to earth, I try to get along w/ most ppl, however don't tell me that I "act white" unless I really am "acting white" and that would be by bashing my own race. I do anything but that.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:49 AM

937 posts, read 1,135,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Most black women don't find me black enough and it kind of saddens me. I'm very down to earth, I try to get along w/ most ppl, however don't tell me that I "act white" unless I really am "acting white" and that would be by bashing my own race. I do anything but that.
This is interesting, since there are more college educated black women in the U.S., than equally educated black men.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
This is interesting, since there are more college educated black women in the U.S., than equally educated black men.
It's even more noticeable at the higher end of the income scale with 6 black women making $100K for every 1 black man at that income level.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
I should have said generally the black women that I encounter. I live in a relatively small metropolitan area in Louisiana.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It's even more noticeable at the higher end of the income scale with 6 black women making $100K for every 1 black man at that income level.
Sadly, that margin is growing wider, due to the overall increase in H.S. drop out rates for black boys throughout the nation.

Black Male Graduation Rates – The Urgency of Now

Old 08-18-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I should have said generally the black women that I encounter. I live in a relatively small metropolitan area in Louisiana.
I don't live in your town, but I'm willing to bet that you probably experienced far greater levels of disdain from other black males than from any other group. It's relatively common (especially in low income urban areas) for black boys to beat up on other black boys for being studious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies