Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The difference being THEY WEREN'T PROPERTY - and they could leave if they wanted - and their children COULDN'T BE TAKEN FROM THEM AND SOLD.

EVERYONE works for "food and shelter" - but only slaves are PROPERTY.

Ken
That's all very true.

I have this thing about time. I have come to the conclusion that the only value a human being has to the rest of society is his time. The more you can offer with the time you give, the more valuable you are.
Up until slavery was repealed, the slave's time belonged to the master.
Once they were freed, they had a choice. Their time was their own to spend as they needed, not as the master needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Since lincoln himself suspended the constitution, he would be looking up from hell smiling on his protoge obama.
Do you seriously believe Lincoln is in hell Frank DeForrest? I'm curious to know where do you think Thurgood Marshall, MLK and Booker T Washington preside in the after-life?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Do you seriously believe Lincoln is in hell Frank DeForrest? I'm curious to know where do you think Thurgood Marshall, MLK and Booker T Washington preside in the after-life?
You really did nail a piece of psych. spooky.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Secession was over the protection of slavery. Read Apostles of Disunion or any book by a scholarly person..
I take that to mean anyone from the North who justified the North's agression.
Quote:
Read South Carolina's own words as they discussed secession.

Read the south's newspapers, political speeches, minister sermons.

The south broke off to protect their peculiar institution.
You are obviously ignorant of the facts. Declarations of Causes of Secession and the Ordinances of Secession that were issued by the first seven states of the Confederacy, one finds that there were several reasons these states wanted to be independent and that some of the reasons had nothing to do with slavery. For example, the Georgia and Texas Declarations of Causes of Secession included economic complaints, in addition to concerns relating to slavery. The Texas declaration complained that unfair federal legislation was enriching the North at the expense of the Southern states. The Georgia declaration complained about federal protectionism and subsidies for Northern business interests.

The South’s long-standing opposition to the federal tariff was another factor that led to secession. The South’s concern over the tariff was nothing new. South Carolina and the federal government nearly went to war over the tariff in 1832-1833. In the session of Congress before Lincoln’s inauguration, the House of Representatives passed a huge increase in the tariff, over the loud objections of Southern congressmen. Naturally, this alarmed Southern statesmen at all levels, since the South was always hit hardest by the tariff.

Quote:
Please cite the terrorists actions within the Republican platform....besides stopping the expansion of slavery westward...if you want to call that terrorism..
John Brown was probably the best know northern terrorists of the time his adoption of bloody force in the interests of freeing slaves and his raid on Harpers Ferry.
In Kansas, John Brown and his four sons grabbed five pro-slavery settlers in the middle of the night from their homes in Pottawatomie Creek and brutality murdered them in front of their families.
There were also;
Gabriel Prosser's rebellion
1831: Nat Turner's revolt
The Underground Railroad
There were also attempts to create insurection among the slaves by distributing phamphlets encouraging rising up and killing their owners.

Quote:
Wait a minute. Lee freed his slaves after they were technically already freed. The Union Army occupied and controlled Arlington. The Emancipation Proclamation was issued September 22, 1862 to take effect on January 1st, 1863.

Lee freed his slaves on December 29th, 1862.

Could Lee remove his slaves from Arlington? No. The Union army wouldn't have allowed it.

So Lee's slaves were technically already freed, just waiting for it to be official...when Lee sped up the process by a mere 3 days..

In fact, the process to free these slaves (who were not his) started 5 years before... here is a factual account.
General Lee and the Family Slaves

Quote:
The only known evidence that Grant owned slaves was evidence that he freed one before the war. The slaves you cite were owned by his father in law and lent to his daughter, Grant's wife...while Grant was away. .
Before the war grant was an overseer of slaves on his wealthy father-in-law’s 850 acre plantation known as White Haven in Missouri. These slaves were owned by Grant and his father-in-law until 1865.
In 1858 he [Grant] hired two slaves from their owners and borrowed one, William Jones, from his father-in-law. Jones, he subsequently bought.
Grant was known to be a racist, and in December 1862, Grant issued General Order # 11, which expelled all Jews from the three states of Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi.

Quote:

Not quite what you are saying is it?.
Actually it is not quite what you are saying...

Quote:
Except Grant never said that. There is no document or historical record of Grant ever having said that or something similar to it. In fact many documents with Grant saying perhaps the opposite..
Grant was an oportuinst, he had little in the way of morals, even when he was sober, which was not often.
Here is the entire passage...In the summer of 1861 General Grant, then Colonel of the Twenty-first Illinois Regiment of Infantry, was stationed in Mexico [Missouri], on the North Missouri Railroad, and had command of the post . . . . Ulysses the Silent was then Ulysses the Garrulous, and embraced every fair opportunity which came his way to express his sentiments and opinions in regard to political affairs. One of these declarations we distinctly remember. In a public conversation in Ringo's banking-house, a sterling Union man put this question to him: 'What do you honestly think was the real object of this war on the part of the Federal Government?'
"'Sir,' said Grant, 'I have no doubt in the world that the sole object is the restoration of the Union. I will say further, though, that I am a Democrat--every man in my regiment is a Democrat--and whenever I shall be convinced that this war has for its object anything else that what I have mentioned or that the Government designs using its soldiers to execute the purposes of the abolitionists, I pledge you on my honor as a man and a soldier that I will not only resign my commission, but will carry my sword to the other side, and cast my lot with that people.'"

He also said..
Ulysses S. Grant - “The issue of slavery provoked little moral indignation in General Grant, and in the first days following the attack on Fort Sumter, he seems to have believed that the North shared his indifference to abolition 'In all this I can but see the doom of Slavery. The North do not want, nor will they want, to interfere with the institution. But they will refuse for all time to give it protection unless the South shall return soon to their allegiance, and then too this disturbance will give such an impetus to the production of their staple, cotton, in other parts of the world that they can never recover the controll of the market again for that comodity. This will reduce the value of negroes so much that they will never be worth fighting over again.'â€
Ulysses S. Grant - “I never was an Abolitionest, not even what could be called anti slavery...

Grants presedency was also racked with scandals, including Crédit Mobilier, a scheme to siphon off the profits made in building the transcontinental railroad. Also the pay of President was doubled during Grants term to $50,000.

Read more: The scandals - Ulysses S. Grant - war, election, second

Quote:
Lincoln was smart...he couldn't upset the border states. Plus he had no legal authority to unilaterally free those slaves anyways - he did have that power in the rebel areas. Lincoln's top priority was to preserve the union. .
He never gave a damn about the slaves and said so...

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."

-Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858 (The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln)

The civil war was fought over the wealth and control of the countries resources, and was an act of aggression as the war with Mexico was before that.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:02 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post

You are obviously ignorant of the facts. Declarations of Causes of Secession and the Ordinances of Secession that were issued by the first seven states of the Confederacy, one finds that there were several reasons these states wanted to be independent and that some of the reasons had nothing to do with slavery.
Even through the computer everyone can smell that BS.

Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM

26,460 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
The book is written by a southerner that was active in the SCV and believed it was over states rights until he actually studied and put down the lost cause propaganda that you have bought. You have repeatedly posted fabrications invented to perpetuate the lost cause myth with no interest in discerning the truth.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Since lincoln himself suspended the constitution, he would be looking up from hell smiling on his protoge obama.
Interesting they used Lincoln.
Martial law - Wikipedia

quote:

Ex parte Milligan

On September 15, 1863 President Lincoln imposed Congressionally authorized martial law.[citation needed] The authorizing act allowed the President to suspend habeas corpus throughout the entire United States (which he had already done under his own authority on April 27, 1861). Lincoln imposed the suspension on "prisoners of war, spies, or aiders and abettors of the enemy," as well as on other classes of people, such as draft dodgers. The President's proclamation was challenged in Ex parte Milligan, 71 US 2 [1866]). The Supreme Court ruled that Lincoln's imposition of martial law (by way of suspension of habeas corpus) was unconstitutional in areas where the local courts were still in session.

Another article on ML and Lincoln.
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jala/262...;view=fulltext

Last edited by CDusr; 08-20-2013 at 04:21 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Did you even read your own link?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Did you even read your own link?
Yes, I did.

The contention above was that the South's rebellion had nothing to do with slavery. The linked document [Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union] says otherwise.

One complaint was that runaway slaves weren't being returned:

Quote:
The Constitution of the United States, in its fourth Article, provides as follows: "No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due." ...

But an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery, has led to a disregard of their obligations...
and the general right to own slaves:

Quote:
These ends it endeavored to accomplish by a Federal Government, in which each State was recognized as an equal, and had separate control over its own institutions. The right of property in slaves was recognized by giving to free persons distinct political rights, by giving them the right to represent, and burthening them with direct taxes for three-fifths of their slaves; by authorizing the importation of slaves for twenty years; and by stipulating for the rendition of fugitives from labor.

We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States.
Thus, the main reason for secession was slavery. In fact, the entire document makes it clear that when it refers to "rights" it means the right to own another person, thus making slavery the sole issue of contention.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Talking pull-EEZ!

Quote:
Great article - really shows the president's lack of respect for the constitution in regards to Obamacare and his unilateral delays.

The author forgets to mention that past presidents when they have not enforced a law, they do so under the guise of it being unconstitutional. For the first time ever, we have a president saying the law is constitutional, but that he will just enforce the law as he chooses despite the law's specific requirements - in effect rewriting the requirements and deadlines - legislating from the White House.

Here is a snippet:

Nicholas Quinn Rosenkranz: Obama Suspends the Law. What Would Lincoln Say? - WSJ.com

Holy crap, Batman!

A right wing publication prints an opinion piece slagging on Obama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies