Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Only an insecure person would feel the need to announce their "educational achievements" completed many years ago from a less than notable college. Yeah, you have bragging rights for being Phi Beta Kappa.
Even the most secure person can be expected to respond to an unwarranted insult as I did. (Oh, and by the way, Phi Beta Kappa chooses only to have chapters in universities which meet their standards of excellence. No, the University of Utah is not an Ivy League school, but a degree there is nothing to be ashamed of either.)

Quote:
I've traveled through the west, and I can honestly say there is nothing about it that attracts me. I will probably spend the remainder of my life east of the Mississippi river, or at least no farther west than Minneapolis.
A lot of people prefer the east. I love how green everything is east of the Mississippi. And I positively love the energy and vibe of New York City -- which is about as far-removed in every way from Salt Lake City as you can get. But I also love Utah and I don't really have a lot of patience when people make stupid remarks about it.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-18-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We just had a thread that talked about "liberal" vs "conservative" cities, and SLC came up. SLC has had a Dem. mayor for decades, so maybe some of you guys' ideas about conservative Utahns are incorrect!
You're right. Salt Lake City has had democratic mayors for the last 37 years. As a matter of fact, in the last national election, Romney obviously garnered a lot of support throughout Utah and beat Obama by a landslide here. In the prior election, though, Salt Lake City's residents voted for Obama over McCain.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-18-2013 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Couldn't have summed it up better myself, who wants to live in a desert?
You're right. And not very many of Utah's population does live in the part of the state that is a desert. Salt Lake City, on the other hand, is truly a beautiful city. I work (i.e volunteer) in tourism and I can't count the number of times I've heard people say that. It happens constantly.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:00 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're right. And not very many of Utah's population does live in the part of the state that is a desert. Salt Lake City, on the other hand, is truly a beautiful city. I work (i.e volunteer) in tourism and I can't count the number of times I've heard people say that. It happens constantly.
I could live and die in Bryce Canyon

Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
But do you realize what the topography of Utah is? Probably two-thirds of the state is a desert. We have no underground water and get a grand total of 16 inches of rainfall a year. We simply don't have the natural resources to support a huge population. I guess for people who like being crammed 1200 people per square mile (like New Jersey) living in a place like Utah would be a huge drawback. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I live in Nevada. I certainly appreciate the parameter. And in Las Vegas the Cedar City and nearby is considered a highly desirable place for a summer home. My closest neighbor in fact has one.

On the other side of the coin SLC has that stinky garbage pit knows as the Great Salt Lake and some of the worst municipal air pollution in the US.

Any gentile living in high majority LDS country may well find it very uncomfortable. There are areas in Las Vegas where I would be sure to warn a person that the area is LDS - well not quite true...I would push them to understand the ethnic and religious population of the area until they find it for themselves. I would certainly not suggest that they not move there...but I would want them to understand the pressures on a family who are in a small minority situation in an LDS community.

Even at our home we get a bit of it. The quarter section in which we live is majority LDS. Some good sides...when we need certain tasks done the missionaries are glad to volunteer.

The LDS are good people and most useful in a mixed society. A couple of my favorite politician including one I financially support and work for are LDS. I think the are not so good in a heavy majority situation. Not sure though I would want to live anywhere 90% RC either.

Last edited by lvoc; 08-18-2013 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 01:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Indeed, more than probable. And it'd be typical Liberal hypocrisy too.

Liberals despise religion; God is the higher authority unanswerable to their control-freakism. And hence their disgust and bigotry towards the devoutly faithful of Christianity, Judaism, and Mormonism in the U.S. The devoutly faithful are outside their orbit of control.
Yes, it's pretty plain that liberal "principles" are pretty much whatever leads to them having more power. They're all for the religious rights of Muslims - people who execute women and gays, why decrying Christianity's treatment of women and gays. Getting an abortion, which isn't mentioned in the constitution, must be an absolute right - something which discourages establishing committed relationships, while owning a gun which is explicitly protected by a constitution has to be controlled - and coincidentally owning a gun gives people a measure of self protection instead of relying on the state for protection. They're all for improving education - but certainly not by giving families the choice of which school to attend, it's much better to instead increase the funding and power of the state run schools. We absolutely have to put a stop to corruption - when it occurs in the private sector by evil bankers. When it occurs in government, then it's a "phony scandal". The oil industry is powerful and evil - and controlled by market forces and the private sector. Green energy is healthy for the planet and what any intelligent person should want - and we'll use government cap and trade regulations and government subsidies to control it. Rural communities are full of ignorant racist redneck hicks - and coincidentally usually are tight knit communities that prefer government at the local level. We should be promoting diversity as one of our highest values - and large diverse urban communities just happen to be statistically shown to produce fractured communities where individuals rely on government services more than their neighbors for support. We need to address crime and poverty - but encouraging personal responsibility and family values is just an evil attempt to legislate morality. The solution is obviously to provide assistance programs to these people - run by the government.

It's interesting how all the noble compassionate liberal values always end up increasing their own power. But all they really want is individual freedom and tolerance, right?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Even the most secure person can be expected to respond to an unwarranted insult as I did. (Oh, and by the way, Phi Beta Kappa chooses only to have chapters in universities which meet their standards of excellence. No, the University of Utah is not an Ivy League school, but a degree there is nothing to be ashamed of either.)

A lot of people prefer the east. I love how green everything is east of the Mississippi. And I positively love the energy and vibe of New York City -- which is about as far-removed in every way from Salt Lake City as you can get. But I also love Utah and I don't really have a lot of patience when people make stupid remarks about it.
Alright, I'll come to terms with you. I've lived in Illinois, Indiana, North Carolina, Florida, and Mississippi. I've come to realize the common misconceptions, stereotypes, and general ideology people have about states is often misplaced. While Utah was not a state I traveled through, I have been through many of the western states some years ago and saw a lot of empty land full of dirt. The dry barren land, huge change of scenery, sparsely populated states with few major metros, and so far as the maps say, spotty cellphone coverage are some of my biggest deterrents to the west.

As people like to say, different strokes for different folks, or not quite my cup of tea. Utah and other western states work for people, especially if you're born there and that's all you've grown up with. But for me, the eastern half of the United States is home, lush green grass and forests, acres upon acres of cornfields, major metros along the interstates every two hours, etc. Not saying Utah is a bad state, it obviously has made some waves in the water and is more or less on the map than a lot of other states, just undesirable to myself.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Are there any Hebrew temples of worship in Utah? Just curious.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Are there any Hebrew temples of worship in Utah? Just curious.
There is a synagog in Salt Lake City.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:50 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There is a synagog in Salt Lake City.
Thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies