Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:15 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times

Advertisements

If you're ever traveling through Utah, don't stop in one place for very long as someone will sneak up and baptize you.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-17-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 02:22 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
They worship the right God, have the correct interpretation of the Bible, and follow the prophet John Smith. All Christians should obviously convert to this religion.
"John Smith"?? I think perhaps you should do just a leeetle bit of research before posting!
Look it up!

My first ex-wife was a Mormon.
We won't discuss that relationship.
I was baptized into the church, then about 25 years later requested that I be dropped from the rolls. In other words, voluntary excommunication. The local bishop wasn't happy about it, but he allowed it.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,460,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"John Smith"?? I think perhaps you should do just a leeetle bit of research before posting!
Look it up!

My first ex-wife was a Mormon.
OK Joesph Smith, excuuuse me for getting close but the wrong first name of your ex-wife's messiah. Just keep her off my lawn.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
One question = Aside from the fact that LDS runs a world class welfare operation how do you figure they are doing well?

Nevada is about the same size and kind of the antithesis of Utah. But it is also Southwestern US.

Nevada wins on GPD per capita, on personal income, Utah wins on household income but also has a 25% larger household...more LDS stuff. Utah wins on unemployment rate.

On balance then Nevada actually has the more successful economy. And it is only 63% white not Hispanic to Utah's 80%.

One might speculate that Utah is in fact damaged by the amount of money removed from the society by the LDS and used for charitable purposes.
Did you read the article I linked? The stats speak for themselves. Interesting to note though Nevada has a high percentage of Mormons as well.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:11 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Utah, where buying alchol is akin to buying marijuana in other states

Give me a break
Doh!

Not quite sure the purpose of that post. Marijuana and alcohol is apples and bananas.

Even if purchasing alcohol was forbidden in the state, you do realize that if Utah so decided to ban it, it would be entirely the prerogative of Utah's citizens, and Constitutional, per Section 2 of the 21st Amendment, yes?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
At the end of the day you have to live in Utah to enjoy these benefits.

Repeat: You have to live in Utah.
LMAO....best post in the thread.

No way in hell...

Old 08-17-2013, 04:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Utah is sounding better and better.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Did you read the article I linked? The stats speak for themselves. Interesting to note though Nevada has a high percentage of Mormons as well.
Sorry. You are biting a puff piece. What you are quoting is the impact of the LDS.

What you are missing is that overall they don't do very well.

The strata rise numbers are basically driven by very flat strata. Nobody does bad and nobody does great...so it is easy to move between layers...$20 a week does it?

The basic economic performance number do not indicate great success.

Nevada has a substantial Mormon population but the equivalent to the LDS is the RC church. and it has only half the percentage of the Mormons in Utah.

I suspect the Mormons buy peace and tranquility at the cost of performance.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
...I never said Utah didn't have beer, I said it lacked good beer because by law they only allow weak beer in their state.
Actually, you're wrong. There really is Good Utah Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Ask any evangelical christian and they will tell you the Mormons are a cult.
Of course they will. Evangelical Christians believe everybody except themselves is bound for Hell. Real Christians attitude if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Beehives are run pretty efficiently, too. They don't call Utah "The Beehive State" for nothing.
No, they don't call it the Beehive State for nothing, but it has nothing to do with the efficiency of their beehives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
OK Joesph Smith, excuuuse me for getting close but the wrong first name of your ex-wife's messiah.
If his ex-wife was Mormon, her Messiah was Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Interesting to note though Nevada has a high percentage of Mormons as well.
Depends on what you consider "high." 6 - 7%.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
What do you mean how do we explain Utah?

Are you arguing that Utah is conservative because they simple vote republican ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies