Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,851,804 times

Advertisements

Everyone gotta escape reality somewow. With atheists it tends to be a strong faith that government can solve a multitude of problems that government just tends to exacerbate.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:14 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,454,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm gonna go get a beer and some chips and wait to see how the 'believers' explain this.
There's no need to "explain" anything, in the way you seem to mean it. Attempts to disprove what the original post said are no better than the original post. There's no more evidence making the alternate suggestions any more true than the original suggestions.

However, I do question the motivation behind posting disagreements with the original post. I have a feeling if someone posted a list of positive attributes of the black community, that anybody trying to dismiss them would be termed a racist. However, it seems not only acceptable but encouraged to do the same about the religious community.

It illuminates the bigotry of liberals. They are as prejudiced and bigoted as the conservatives they label racists and sexists. They are simply prejudiced against those whose ideas differ from theirs rather than those whose skin color differs.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,465,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault
So because it's invisible to your eyes it therefore doesn't exist?
I'd like to ask you, what do you about Semmelweis and the germ theory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Germs can be seen through a microscope. With what apparatus can God be seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...but you can see germs/bacteria with a microscope and you can prove their existence by the things that they cause and by their eradication with anti-bacterials, antibodies and antibiotics.
I recall reading a short essay in a book about Semmelweis sometime ago. As I recall he presents a good lesson in the history of science, because he was roundly ridiculed by the medical scientists of his time.

Chronologically speaking... germs existed before the invention of any microscopes. The lack of human observation of something does not mean that something does not exist. Many atheist have an alien fetish and even subscribe to their miraculous powers of defying the laws of physics to visit earth just to observe humanity or briefly abduct and abuse individual humans at times, yet no atheist has ever set eyes on an alien. And likely never will.

The concept of God, intellectually, is for many a philosophical one. Some claim to experience God more directly through mystical experiences. And unlike the alien stories of miracles performed in the skies, Christians have an abundance of terrestrial miracles performed across the globe with some verified by medical science. By "miracles" I'm speaking of defying the laws of the universe as described in the sciences of physics and chemistry. Therefore, I think it is fitting to refer to alien visitations to earth as miraculous.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,080,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
You're asking the questions, but you are making no effort whatsoever to find the answers even though they are easy to find and easy to understand. It's like there is some kind of halting action in your mind preventing you from making further and more effective inquiry whenever something comes up that even remotely represents a challenge (perceived or otherwise) to your belief system.

I've said it before and I will say it again, these kinds of belief systems are genuine mental diseases. Not a disease affecting one's neurology, but an actual disease of the mind. There is nothing wrong with them organically but rather the patterns of synapses between neurons that store and compute the information that represents their minds has been distorted, causing them to behave erratically and fail to operate at their full intellectual capacity, whatever that may be.
Blah , blah, blah.. Having faith is a daily everyday action with everyone.. having faith is getting on an airplane having faith in the pilot he can fly the plane.. no great step to have faith.. a little faith in God is better than proclaiming no faith.

One who trusts God is better off than those who say there is no God..
Psalm 14:1
14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,080,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I recall reading a short essay in a book about Semmelweis sometime ago. As I recall he presents a good lesson in the history of science, because he was roundly ridiculed by the medical scientists of his time.

Chronologically speaking... germs existed before the invention of any microscopes. The lack of human observation of something does not mean that something does not exist. Many atheist have an alien fetish and even subscribe to their miraculous powers of defying the laws of physics to visit earth just to observe humanity or briefly abduct and abuse individual humans at times, yet no atheist has ever set eyes on an alien. And likely never will.

The concept of God, intellectually, is for many a philosophical one. Some claim to experience God more directly through mystical experiences. And unlike the alien stories of miracles performed in the skies, Christians have an abundance of terrestrial miracles performed across the globe with some verified by medical science. By "miracles" I'm speaking of defying the laws of the universe as described in the sciences of physics and chemistry. Therefore, I think it is fitting to refer to alien visitations to earth as miraculous.

No one can look upon the face of God for they would die because of his power and glory.

Exodus 33:20-23 Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put theei n a cleft of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,465,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469
Why is not believing in a god nuts and extreme. A sane person doesn't need to believe in an unknown entity. They believe in themselves without a crutch. I do believe in god but I live my own life. I think the weak need to believe in him as a crutch because they aren't strong enough to believe in themselves. This is just my opinion. But please tell me your proof that god exists. Of course you can't tell me because you blindly believe. I can't do that because I am my own person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
God is no crutch.. it is the actual reality here on earth. We can cut ourselves and put a bandaid on it or medicine but it is God that does the healing.. Many doctors believe in God .. they know they are limited with some knowledge.. God has to do the rest.

God gave us knowledge to sow the seeds, water the ground , but it is God that makes it grow. The seed opens up with the force of God in it. The unbelievers can't see the forest for the trees.
I would not take natalie's claim to faith in God seriously. Satan believes in the existence of God too (though lacks a saving faith in Him). Both Satan and natalie pride themselves on their strength of not needing God.

I am weak and I do need God. In fact, I will always need God.

Due to Original Sin which makes me vulnerable to sin, and due to many of my own personal failings, I am not strong enough to defeat Satan or the legions of fallen angels become demons that follow Satan. And I'm not ashamed to say I depend on God, His saints, and the Holy Madonna to be my final protectors from these pernicious enemies of man.

This is not to say I'm absent of sin and vice. I'm enslaved to too many of them is my problem. But in God we trust.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,543,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Megachurch televangelists being among the very worst offenders.
No, that would be the gov't you choose to look to for guidance and worship. Pelosi, Clintons, Gates, Soros. Heard today that Uma has been double if not triple dipping. Obama's are now multi-millionaires.
You should not be pointing your finger at the pious. You are being brainwashed to hate. You don't have to follow this lead.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,142,597 times
Quote:
Blah , blah, blah.. Having faith is a daily everyday action with everyone.. having faith is getting on an airplane having faith in the pilot he can fly the plane.. no great step to have faith.. a little faith in God is better than proclaiming no faith.

One who trusts God is better off than those who say there is no God..
Psalm 14:1
14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
I don't know about you, but I don't have faith in airplanes or their pilots. I know that I am safe on the airplane because the statistics say so. I know the pilot likely has years or even decades of experience possibly in both civilian and military aviation. Therefore I conclude that things are likely to go well. Faith never plays into it, or into anything for me, and I am certainly not capable of ever having faith in something with absolutely no proof that it exists. Believe me, I've tried. It isn't going to happen, now or ever.

Also, your psalm has some factual errors. I am not corrupt, have not done any abominable things, and try my best to act according to the Golden Rule and its corollaries, all the time saying there is no god. As I am also clearly not a fool, your psalm is clearly incorrect.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
Eh, I think that the linked article is someone's opinion based on a random sampling of surveys.

I also found it odd that the article also mentioned that "believer's have more kids" when I remember reading about how people who have children are more depressed and unhappy than those that don't so I find it odd that atheist, who are statistically more educated and have less kids would be more mentally unstable than believers who have more kids and are less educated (and have lower IQs and lower incomes so they would be more stressed out IMO).

But I don't think atheist or believers are mentally ill. I think people respond to our world in the way that they feel is correct. Many people believe in god and need their faith, lean on their faith to get through. Others do not.

I also feel that many atheist and believer's alike can be dogmatic and downright "mean" as is mentioned in the OP and that giving to "charities" does not make one not mean. Many religious people give money to charities that do not really do any good for anyone except make themselves feel better for "giving."

I am not a believer but the rest of my family are and they give lots of money to "charities" (i.e. missionaries who go across the globe and convince people to accept Jesus so they will get medicine or food or money to send their kids to religious schools - any school is better than none to poor families who can't afford it). They also give their money to their churches, who usually don't do anything in local communities other than give people food, which I feel further contributes to people not being able to feed themselves. They should offer free daycare to working parents or mechanical service to working poor who can't afford to get home/auto repairs.

But I don't see any believer as mentally ill just like I don't view atheist as such, even though many staunch atheist are just as annoying with their vitriol as evangelicals.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,223,282 times
Quote:
No one can look upon the face of God for they would die because of his power and glory.

Exodus 33:20-23 Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put theei n a cleft of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.
No one can look upon the face of something that doesn't exist.

I also love how all you have to fall back on is that little book of yours. There's no truth or fact behind it - just the warped political agenda of men over the course of thousands of years.

Stop acting like such a sheep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.