Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Who was arguing? There is a big difference between "suddely renouncing" something and claiming that something "stopped making sense" since you have no idea what amount of time lapsed which caused the person to come to the conclusion.

I am arguing, but you are...what...debating?
He's making it sound like I woke up one morning and decided to be an atheist. To be a hipster and all.....

Old 08-20-2013, 12:37 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
He's making it sound like I woke up one morning and decided to be an atheist. To be a hipster and all.....
Now you're confusing me with someone else. Did I say "hipster" anywhere?
Two can play this game.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Now you're confusing me with someone else. Did I say "hipster" anywhere?
Two can play this game.
No, someone else is claiming atheists are doing it to be hip. That doesn't take away from the fact that you assumed it was sudden.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
No, someone else is claiming atheists are doing it to be hip. That doesn't take away from the fact that you assumed it was sudden.

Sudden or not, my assertion stands. Take offense if you want. Most on the left side of things generally do.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Sudden or not, my assertion stands. Take offense if you want. Most on the left side of things generally do.
That I was never that religious to begin with? Your assertion can stand all it wants but it's still wrong.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
That I was never that religious to begin with? Your assertion can stand all it wants but it's still wrong.
Not that you were religious. Anyone can be religious. Satanists are religious in their way.
I say you were never a Christian (i.e. - truly accepted Jesus Christ as personal saviour and the one who atoned for your sins).
Indeed, you very well may have been religious. That's not up for debate.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
I can certainly relate. The realization of the bogus parts of religion is a progresssion that comes with life experience and open mindendness. I considered myself agnostic for quite awhle, but lately, I am more than convinced that the dogma and fairty tales are relics belonging to another age.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:53 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Some parents glory in having incest. Some parents are happy not ever going to teacher-parent conferences. Some parents have no remorse committing adultery and breaking up their homes.

I would not smile and post a thumbs up of guiding my child on a path to eternal damnation in hell. Whether or not I or you believe in the existence of prisons or HIV is neither here nor there. More important are do they exist. Likewise with both hell and the road to perdition.

Perhaps the worse thing a parent can do is guide their child to hell. Plenty of parents that worship Satan do that. Which is worse than your lack of faith. For you don't believe. Parents that are Satanic and worship Satan actually believe in Satan and hell and intentionally give and promise their child to Satan.

But as I said before... I would not associate atheists with good people, because only about 1% of them are, the 99% seem to be bad people and some of them even are worse than bad an are evil.
That is your opinion. It is not mine. Nor is it my son's.

We don't believe in god or satan and we don't believe in heaven or hell. We think heaven and hell are right here on this very Earth we live on, not in some imaginary place beneath our feet or above our heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Luckily, hell doesn't actually exist. What a horrible thing to say to a parent, that they are damning their kids to hell. Just another example of christian cruelty and superiority complex.

I'd also like to know how you figured out that only one percent of atheists are good people, since you seem to keep saying it over and over again. What was your testing methodology? What was your sample size? What kind of questions did you ask and what kind of factors did you account for? Because am seriously fed up with lowlifes telling me and others like me that we're the scum of the effing earth, when the vast majority of us have never and never plan to do wrong to anyone.
Thanks for defending me.

And, I second this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
How does a so called "smart person" explain our existence?

Not just our planet or our Galaxy or even our Universe?

How can an "intelligent" person believe that all that we see just popped into existence?

I believe in science. I believe in evolution. I believe in the Big Bang theory, whether it was a singularity or membrane theory.

But where did the stuff that we're made of come from? What caused this tremendous amount of energy?
I don't have to further explain how or what my son thinks. He is not the subject of discussion.

Good questions. Let us know when you find the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I believe in myself and what is wrong with that. I don't pray to god to give me a direction or answers. And it has nothing to do with material things. If you have to rely on an unknown identity to give you guidance then you have no confidence in yourself. Unlike you, I have confidence to make the right decision for myself. I'm sorry but this satanic stuff is nonsense
I know. It makes me sit here and laugh at some of the things that are being said. If said posters think they are hurting my "widdle feelers" then they are so wrong. It's nothing I haven't heard before.

I live my live for others. However, I live first for me and my own abilities that allow me to do for others.

I just can't see where this behavior is so destructive that I will be sentenced to "eternal damnation in hell".

Quote:
Yeah, we have clubhouses and secret decoder rings. Not to mention the secret handshake.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Not that you were religious. Anyone can be religious. Satanists are religious in their way.
I say you were never a Christian (i.e. - truly accepted Jesus Christ as personal saviour and the one who atoned for your sins).
Indeed, you very well may have been religious. That's not up for debate.
Oh, you mean the Born Again version of Christianity. Russian Orthodoxy doesn't do the personal saviour bit. I guess it's not good enough to be religious; it has to be a certain brand of religion and a certain type of Christianity.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 08-20-2013 at 01:08 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Oh, you mean the Born Again version of Christianity. Russian Orthodoxy doesn't do the personal saviour bit. I guess it's not good enough to be religious; it has to be a certain brand of religioun and a certain type of Christianity.
No, it just involves a little thing called the Bible. Not some traditions of men trying to work their way to Heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies