Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Through college and most of my 20's, religion became a less important part of my life and I was definitely a more self-centered person. In my 30's, my faith became more important once again, largely due to the challenges to religion brought up by the new Atheists. During this time, I've gone back and reexamined the teachings of Jesus, which inspired me to be a more selfless person.

In a nutshell, my faith has made me a better person, not that I was ever bad to begin with. Except for that time I killed a hooker while on a coke bender.
I think what you describe is simply nothing more than growing up. We all get there at some point in our life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My husband would say yes we are.. Altho im still working on if he means being mentally ill from being atheist or I am just in general, that part is still murky on my end .. Either way he married me so be likes the abuse:-) . We even created a little mini us to carry on the insanity.. Muuahh haaa haa
At least you are married. Wait a minute, could this be double abuse of your mini one? If both you and your husband are atheists (which I assume you are from what you wrote) then who is going to teach the mini one about those important religions?

I'm doomed to eternal damnation in hell for being a single atheist parent who raised my son to think as I do.
I'm afraid some might put me in that "bad" 99% group.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Amazing! 634 posts debating nonsense.
I agree.

But, a good excuse for me to play some tunes on the subject matter

I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day--Casting Crowns with lyrics - YouTube

As an atheist, I believe in PEACE on earth and GOODWILL to men -
one thing the religious and non religious can agree

World Hunger - YouTube
As an atheist, I want to end the suffering of the world -
another thing the religious and non religious agree

As an atheist, I believe mankind's actions breed mental illness

The Temptations "Ball of Confusion" - YouTube
As an atheist, I believe mankind's religions breed mental illness

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmExfn1bbQg] /guy Sebastian - Get Along (Lyrics)

Really, can't we all just get along..

PEACE AND GOODWILL TO MEN

Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Moreover, it is a vicious lie to suggest that I, as an atheist, lack empathy.

I have empathy for young gay people kicked out of their homes and disowned by "religious" parents. I have empathy for the victims of sexual abuse by priests. And I have empathy for the countless victims of religious violence around the world, including (but not limited to) Christians being murdered in Egypt, Muslims being murdered in India and Burma, and gays being murdered in Russia.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Blow jobs, mustache rides and cream pies, didn't god create those too?
If only to boost his own ego. He was slick, he had us call out to him when receiving one!!!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:25 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
I'd bet my house, that an atheist wrote this. Cowardly and hateful. Psychotic sociopathic behavior is the new normal.

» Neighbor’s Letter to Family of Autistic Teen Sparks Outrage Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I think what you describe is simply nothing more than growing up. We all get there at some point in our life.

At least you are married. Wait a minute, could this be double abuse of your mini one? If both you and your husband are atheists (which I assume you are from what you wrote) then who is going to teach the mini one about those important religions?

I'm doomed to eternal damnation in hell for being a single atheist parent who raised my son to think as I do.
I'm afraid some might put me in that "bad" 99% group.
Actually my husband is catholic (yikers right).. When we were first started dating (17 years old) he was a say ur Hail Mary and cross urself before bed every night kinda guy. As we've gotten older hes stopped, opened his eyes and become what I call a "liberal catholic" the belief is there but nothing else with it. No more church, Hail Marys or crosses. He's not even sure if he believes the bible. In reality he's more agnostic than anything else but I like to harp in him a bit bout the Catholicism.. Keeps him on his toes after 14 years .. I was clear our daughter wouldn't be brainwashed in church or be baptized and he surprisingly agreed and was in board. I got lucky.

Btw good for u , being a single parent is hard! Harder as an atheist because we don't have that blind "god will make it alright" attitude. We live in reality and know sometimes crap just ain't okay and no ones gonna take care of it but us! Btw I just read a book called Raising Freethinkers A practical guide for Parenting Beyond Belief. I don't know how old ur baby is but worth a read!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I'd bet my house, that an atheist wrote this. Cowardly and hateful.
I hope you were kidding, right?

But I'll agree with the father's assessment:

“A person that’s that crazy or demented who would fabricate something like that…it leads me to believe that they’re very dangerous,” Jim Begley stated, adding, “and right now I’m scared for my son’s safety.”

Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I'd bet my house, that an atheist wrote this. Cowardly and hateful. Psychotic sociopathic behavior is the new normal.

» Neighbor’s Letter to Family of Autistic Teen Sparks Outrage Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
And I'd bet mine it wasn't. Simply going by my own deductions of the most peaceful/accepting countries in the world are also the most atheist (Netherlands, Sweden. Swiss) and some of the most war/violence non accepting torn are highly religious. Unfortunately the US doesn't fall in the first category. We should also note that most of the prison population is of some religion and a very small amount are Atheist. So there's that. Not an official study but yah know if we're gonna point fingers without facts...

Old 08-20-2013, 05:02 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
And I'd bet mine it wasn't. Simply going by my own deductions of the most peaceful/accepting countries in the world are also the most atheist (Netherlands, Sweden. Swiss) and some of the most war/violence non accepting torn are highly religious. Unfortunately the US doesn't fall in the first category. We should also note that most of the prison population is of some religion and a very small amount are Atheist. So there's that. Not an official study but yah know if we're gonna point fingers without facts...
Are Nazi's god-fearing? How about Mou Zedong or any other worlds top mass murderers? I think not. They worshipped self and the power of human authority over all else. They all probably thought they were moral and acting for the greater good.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Here's a paradox of American society: One person says, "Gay marriage violates God's will". Another person response with, "Really? Okay, prove to me there even is a god." The first person is merely stating a religious belief, meanwhile the second person is showing intolerance towards that person's religious belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies