Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 05:10 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Apparently you don't. You see atheists spend a lot of time ridiculing and trying to prove there is no God which they don't even believe in to begin with so what is the point?

I don't believe in ghosts or vampires or frankenstien and I don't spend time trying prove they aren't real. Atheists devote hours of time and write books trying to disprove God. Now why is that?
Because schools and government don't open with with oaths to vampires, our money doesn't say "In Ghosts We Trust", elected officials don't pray for Frankenstien's blessings, and nobody claims that America was built on Draculian principles.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Then:
John 10:17-18

King James Version (KJV)

17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

and many other easily searched biblical quotes are just so much poppycock?
Why would you quote from a bible you don't even believe in? That makes no sense and proves the writers contention that atheists have some sort of mental problems.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If atheists are truly mentally ill, then it appears the author of this thread is suggesting that it's okay to discriminate against them. This is so typical of today's conservative/Republican. They want to treat atheists like lepers, just like they do with the gay groups at conservative conventions like CPAC.
Where did you come up with this nonsense unless you think the ADA doesn't protect the mentally handicapped your atheist buddies will be just fine.

The definition of disability in the ADA includes people with mental illness who meet one of these three definitions:
  1. A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of an individual
  2. A record of such an impairment
  3. Being regarded as having such an impairment
A mental impairment is defined by the ADA as "any mental or psychological disorder, such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities."

Old 08-17-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Personally my belief is only agnostics are being truthful with themselves and therefore most mentally healthy.
To either believe or not believe in something which cannot be proved is hardly rational. The only rational position is that you do not know.
Best point made thus far.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I don't know if there are unicorns, I don't know if there is a Flying Spaghetti Monster, I don't know if there are fairies, I don't know if the world is only 6,000 years old, I don't know if Vishnu exists, I don't know if Tlazolteotl exists, I don't know if there is a Santa Claus, I don't know if there are buxom Amazon Women on Mars, and I don't know if there is an all powerful God who can read my mind and punish me for wrong thoughts. OK, got it.
Tooth fairy and santa was actually your parents. I hope I didn't spoil it for you.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Because schools and government don't open with with oaths to vampires, our money doesn't say "In Ghosts We Trust", elected officials don't pray for Frankenstien's blessings, and nobody claims that America was built on Draculian principles.
So the founding fathers were religious as are most people in this world. Actually there are some who worship vampires. I don't go around screaming about how there aren't really vampires and insult folks who think there are.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:20 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
wasn't the bible written like thousands of years ago? is christ getting royalties?
As much as the atheists who wrote books trying to disprove God in the Christ's time.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 PM

Actually the Vatican was busted laundering money so they get plenty.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:23 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why would you quote from a bible you don't even believe in? That makes no sense and proves the writers contention that atheists have some sort of mental problems.
Because the poster I responded to alleged the Christ of the Bible DID NOT die for man's sins yet that very same Bible has verses quoting Christ as saying he did so of his own volition.

Are you really that dense or do you just enjoy acting so?

BTW, YOU don't have a friggin' clue as to what I do or don't believe in so stop your lying BS implication that you do.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:23 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, I don't want to discuss the existence or lack of existence of a god/gods.

What this study primarily focuses on, is the emotional well-being of people who are religious or who are atheists. The study concludes that people who are religious tend to have greater emotional well-being than those who are atheists.

Which really, makes absolute sense. I mean, isn't the argument for why religion exists in the first place, is that it gives comfort to the weary?
Some say it gives comfort to the weak, since the atheists have no need for a god-thingy to comfort them or ease their natural fears of death. Basically, religion was invented to explain that which cannot be explained (which was a LOT more back then than now), and to convince people they no longer had to fear death - also to put the "fear of G-d" in everyone, as an attempt to stop them from doing bad things. And we can see how well that worked, when you consider the fact that most prisoners claim to be religious.

For the record, I am a practicing Reform Jew... so I have no contempt for religion, but also no delusions as to its purpose. I don't believe there is some man sitting on the clouds, I just enjoy the cultural and spiritual aspects of it all.

Quote:
I want to add that, I have noticed a considerable number of atheists, who are seemingly angry at the world. And part of their motivation for rejecting the existence of a god, is because they effectively reject everything. It call comes down to their general contempt for anything and everything.
Riiiiight... because it's always the Atheists standing outside of health clinics, pride parades, etc, shouting and turning red in the face over what other people do with their bodies & minds. Yep, those angry atheists!!!

I've noticed there are angry religious people, nice religious people, angry atheists, and nice atheists. To draw any other conclusions is not only silly, but highly dishonest of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies