Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

I guess that is an old, empty ritual, priests thinking people are still so lost without them, they desperately need a priest accompanying them in death, maybe because they need to tell him all the evil stuff they have done But don't worry, son, if you believe in my god, you will be forgiven

Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Wrong. I was dying and not expected to make it. The hospital called a priest to administer the Last Rites. I asked him to leave. Why on earth would I change my mind at the last minute?
...and it would actually be too late to guarantee entrance into the pearly gates since you were a satan worshipping infidel for most of your life anyway.

Seriously, is God that easy to con, when believers actually believe that this guy administering last rites can use his influence to wipe out a lifetime of sin and debauchery with a few holy words?

Is that why bible thumpers are such hypocrites, due to the fact that they have up until the very last moment of their lives to repent? Seems so.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
You liberals believe the world is too populated, so why not just start getting rid of the useless? What purpose do they serve? and think of the money you could save. It would be for the greater good, right? We must put the needs of the planet above all else. You came from nothing, return to nothing, nature restores herself.
Why bother with poisons in vaccines, food, air and water, or more wars? Just line em up and say farewell. Welts loves to give shots, put her in charge.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Sure you do, what is your purpose? You would ask the priest why are you here. I ask you the same thing. If you believe in survival of the fittest, why bother trying to save anyone's life that isn't fit?
My purpose? To live my life. What's your purpose? When I say "Why are you here?" clearly I mean "What is your point? I don't believe in god, please leave". Understand?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This is truly funny.
Most Rs want to remove any support from those who need it most.
Don't play "holier than thou" - it's hypocrisy at the finest.
Yep...the pinnnacle of hypocrsy. Their support of The Ryan Budget Plan was a testament to it.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Frankly, what else is it?

There is no proof of a god thing, so to me, it's an imaginary sky daddy.
I don't believe in your god thingie, remember.

Got some proof?
Show it, you just might change my mind.
I understand that you don't believe and that's fine, but when you purposefully refer to something that millions of Americans deeply revere in an insulting way or refer to the religious as delusional, you're trying to be rude. I'm sure you'd take offense to someone using an accurate, but offensive, term towards someone in a protected class, but have no problem dishing it out to someone you oppose. It's no different -- we're all worthy of respect.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and it would actually be too late to guarantee entrance into the pearly gates since you were a satan worshipping infidel for most of your life anyway.

Seriously, is God that easy to con, when believers actually believe that this guy administering last rites can use his influence to wipe out a lifetime of sin and debauchery with a few holy words?

Is that why bible thumpers are such hypocrites, due to the fact that they have up until the very last moment of their lives to repent? Seems so.
Your thoughts are more powerful than you believe. Pleasant thoughts, asking God's forgiveness for your trespasses is from the heart. The heart is key to a higher consciousness.
Your disdain and ridicule will come back on you.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
You liberals believe the world is too populated, so why not just start getting rid of the useless? What purpose do they serve? and think of the money you could save. It would be for the greater good, right? We must put the needs of the planet above all else. You came from nothing, return to nothing, nature restores herself.
Why bother with poisons in vaccines, food, air and water, or more wars? Just line em up and say farewell. Welts loves to give shots, put her in charge.
Then why do you conservatives have problems with death panels?

1,261 posts, read 2,146,205 times
Quote:
Sure you do, what is your purpose? You would ask the priest why are you here. I ask you the same thing. If you believe in survival of the fittest, why bother trying to save anyone's life that isn't fit?
You are severely distorting and misapplying the mechanism of natural selection. All it means is that over time beneficial traits will be passed on more often and deleterious ones will tend not to be, gradually affecting the genetic makeup and gene expression of a population. It isn't some kind of absolute law that enforces the death of specimens that aren't completely up to par, of or a belief system that any sane person would apply to the running of a society.

As human beings, part of our fitness is being able to empathize and understand one another. We evolved to be good at existing with other humans. Part of this involves caring for one another, even people who might not have "made the grade" in a prehistoric or survival situation. We understand that others are sentient like us and are capable of suffering. Why would we not want to save someone's life? We would hope that others would care for us in our times of need.

And not only that, but one can never be certain just what a person is capable of offering and what they aren't. Even if someone could somehow be verified "unfit to survive" that does not mean they are useless; it is still possible for them to positively affect the lives of those around them, to bring joy and happiness to others and to be happy themselves and live a fulfilling life. This is what it means to be human. We are no longer limited to either survival or death. Our evolutionary path gave us the ability and the desire to choose a third option that can result in a positive outcome for all.

Why save them? For most of us, it is only natural.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 08-21-2013 at 10:54 AM..

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
I may be an atheist, but why do you think I am liberal? I guess I am in the middle politically speaking... Plus, there are also lots of conservative people who will tell you that there are too many humans.

I don't like the way you kind of imply that atheist don't honor human life, that is a gross misunderstanding on your part...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies