Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 11:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The worst atrocities of the 20th century happened in the absence of religion, not because of it.

I never once said that I hated Atheists. What I have a problem with are those who spew a constant stream of hatred, insult and condescension towards the religious majority and act surprised when people consider Atheists to be untrustworthy and unlikable.

I don't hate anyone. It's a contradiction of my religion
Quote:
That's where we differ, I believe everyone and their beliefs deserve respect, as long as they're not hurting anyone else. I know, there are people who use their faith to justify their bigotry -- they're doing it wrong.

But keep up the insults. It's attitudes like yours that make people distrustful and spiteful towards all Atheists.
Yeah, distrustful and spiteful.
That looks so much different from hateful.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You don't wanna play anymore, because you refuse to look at the consequences of your actions. Typical.
Typical of what?
I look at the consequences of my actions, probably more than most religious.
Don't most humans?

Oh noes, christians are so much better than everyone else.
Even their jebus (of whom there is no record) would agree.

Arrogance and pride.
Isn't pride a capital sin?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Ruler of the Universe is a bit much, considering it is probably infinite. Since I am (well, was in this case) human I will settle for ruler of earth.

I have no interest in "getting rid" of anyone's beliefs. I'd rather take the J.C. Denton/Helios route. Nanotechnologically augment everyone to make them truly equal in both body and mind, and to give them the ability to directly share their minds and feelings with others at will. There would probably be a marked transition period of turmoil, but I believe in the long run such direct communication would allow people to have a level of understanding of others minds' that is many orders of magnitude higher than it is now. We would find out that others really aren't so different. All the ambiguities and misunderstandings caused by the use of mere words would vanish. Combined with proper education that focuses on empathy, compassion and understanding toward one's fellow human beings, I believe everything would work itself out peacefully in due time.
Pretty nice thought.
Oh, claud, here's an answer for you.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Ruler of the Universe is a bit much, considering it is probably infinite. Since I am (well, was in this case) human I will settle for ruler of earth.

I have no interest in "getting rid" of anyone's beliefs. I'd rather take the J.C. Denton/Helios route. Nanotechnologically augment everyone to make them truly equal in both body and mind, and to give them the ability to directly share their minds and feelings with others at will. Combined with proper education that focuses on empathy, compassion and understanding toward one's fellow human beings, I believe everything would work itself out peacefully in due time.
In a perfect world where there is also stewardship for the planet and greed is not neccesary and looked upon as the vice that it is and not diguised as free market Capitalism. Religious fanatics do not get that this would be the closest thing to being "God-like" that they can ever hope to achieve.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, distrustful and spiteful.
That looks so much different from hateful.
I wasn't referring to myself, but the studies that show Atheists in the US are widely unliked and untrusted. Your most vocal advocates spit in the face of the masses and are surprised when they have an unfavorable public image.

As I've said before, Atheists like yourselves go out of your way to be rude. You have a huge PR problem and it's not helped out when your most vocal fringe is the most mean-spirited. Christians also have a loud and obnoxious fringe, but they have enough room to have a fringe. When you're barely 1% of the population, the room between the moderate and the fringe is razor thin. Meanwhile, there's a world of difference between the crazy fringe Westboro Baptists and the Christian ladies in my neighborhood who operate a non-profit thrift store on their own dime.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I wasn't referring to myself, but the studies that show Atheists in the US are widely unliked and untrusted. Your most vocal advocates spit in the face of the masses and are surprised when they have an unfavorable public image.

As I've said before, Atheists like yourselves go out of your way to be rude. You have a huge PR problem and it's not helped out when your most vocal fringe is the most mean-spirited. Christians also have a loud and obnoxious fringe, but they have enough room to have a fringe. When you're barely 1% of the population, the room between the moderate and the fringe is razor thin. Meanwhile, there's a world of difference between the crazy fringe Westboro Baptists and the Christian ladies in my neighborhood who operate a non-profit thrift store on their own dime.
You're not very clear with your language, are you?

Yet you're complaining about the unfavorable public image christians and other religious have.
Yeah, I've dealt with mean-spirited christian jerks for decades... how's it feel?

Nope, delusion of invisible sky daddy belief is simply delusion.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:51 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Pretty nice thought.
Oh, claud, here's an answer for you.
yes, he believes it will all work out in due time. Believes! Assuming facts not in evidence.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
With your confusing atheists with liberals and their supposed properties you don't like, you are destroying this thread as this has nothing to do with the topic.

To get back to topic, even if atheists were declared mentally ill by some obscure standards, what would it change? Nothing, they will continue to be atheist, just like gay people continue to be gay regardless of whether religious ones hate them...

Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
It says we know nothing, can assume nothing, and it's presumptuos of you to believe you can reject anything - because you just don't know. So then we have to look at what is best for a free society of individuals. The soverignty of the individual as opposed to the sovereignty of the state or nation. Christians believe we are accountable for our actions as individuals, not as a collective.

Now, what if we replace the Ten Commandments with the Atheist Commandments.
Thou shalt never expose the secrets of the U.S. gov't, or there will be hell to pay.
Thou shalt serve gov't, above all else.
Instead of honoring thy parents, we honor the gov't.
Thou shalt not kill replaced with gov't shall decide who to kill and who not to kill and will make a list.
Thou shalt not steal, unless it's for the greater good.

wanna play?
Are you hijacking this thread now for a particular reason? Your reply to my post has zero to do with the contents of my post....clearly.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,723 times
Quote:
It says we know nothing, can assume nothing, and it's presumptuos of you to believe you can reject anything - because you just don't know. So then we have to look at what is best for a free society of individuals. The soverignty of the individual as opposed to the sovereignty of the state or nation. Christians believe we are accountable for our actions as individuals, not as a collective.

Now, what if we replace the Ten Commandments with the Atheist Commandments.
Thou shalt never expose the secrets of the U.S. gov't, or there will be hell to pay.
Thou shalt serve gov't, above all else.
Instead of honoring thy parents, we honor the gov't.
Thou shalt not kill replaced with gov't shall decide who to kill and who not to kill and will make a list.
Thou shalt not steal, unless it's for the greater good.

wanna play?
It is clear that this person has no intention of being reasonable or playing fair. Seriously, atheist commandments? I'm sorry, but those exist only in your mind, my friend.

The only document we have that even comes close to such a thing is this: Humanist Manifesto III

Now read through all of that and tell me, what is so bad about it?

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 08-21-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies