Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Conservatives don't have a problem with electric vehicles or hybrids.

They have a problem with the government using tax money to subsidize them.

You should at least know what you are arguing against before you start arguing.
Isn't it amazing how such a simple fact can be so hard for empty liberal heads to grasp!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Oil still holds a near monopoly on the transportation fuel market, but as soon as electric vehicles started coming out, there was a lot of complaint from the right. But there is a new threat to the oil monopoly, Natural Gas. Natural gas vehicle sales tiny, but picking up they may become a bigger force than electric. Will oil-loving right wingers start attacking NG cars?
You seem to forget that Boone Pickens a republican presidential candidate supported and predeicted it long ago. Its also the same industry that has made this possible despite democratic opposition to drilling for natural gas. Despite any energy policy not being in place we can think the oil and gas industry making what every president since carter has promised; energy independence in near future.Another free market private enterprise success story.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
"They already have, just like they continue to attack hybrids"

"Will conservatives declare natural gas vehicles are evil? "

Who in their most partisan moment could come up with such a statement and really believe it.

It must be lonely in that room.

Good ideas are like a fetus......they arrive when its time and are embraced by all.

Only a simpleton would pretend that premature alternate technology should instantly replace established sources without regard to the economy..... and anyone who proceeds with caution is a troglodite and an enemy of the 'people'.

If you were serious and wanted to make a significant impact with alternate technology you would go after lawn mowers and small engines. A practical success there would give credibility to alternate technology and gain more supporters.

"Reports about those noxious fumes emitted from gasoline lawn mowers are indeed true. A Swedish study conducted in 2001 concluded, “Air pollution from cutting grass for an hour with a gasoline powered lawn mower is about the same as that from a 100-mile automobile ride.” Meanwhile, the 54 million Americans mowing their lawns each weekend with gas-powered mowers may be contributing as much as five percent of the nation’s air pollution, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). "

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Oil still holds a near monopoly on the transportation fuel market, but as soon as electric vehicles started coming out, there was a lot of complaint from the right. But there is a new threat to the oil monopoly, Natural Gas. Natural gas vehicle sales tiny, but picking up they may become a bigger force than electric. Will oil-loving right wingers start attacking NG cars?
It's not just the Republicans, it's also the Democrats equally. The EPA is corrupt & both parties love it that way because lobbyists (Oil & Auto Industry mostly) give them money to restrict progress. The Auto Industry doesn't want you simply converting your existing vehicle over to for $1,000 with only the cost of a kit & installation! They want to a monopoly on the technology itself & they want you to buy a new vehicle from them with that technology already installed. So they lobby Congress & the EPA to make it damn near impossible to get certified to do the conversions (Outside of corporate fleets). Simple huh? Sure, you can convert your vehicle, but only if a certified shop does the conversion & we won't certify anyone Like wise the Oil Industry doesn't want you buying your fuel from someone other than them. So go ahead & buy that Alt-Fuel vehicle, but good luck finding a fueling station! They've lobbied your Congressmen & the EPA so that it's damn near impossible to run an Alt-Fuel, fueling station.

Having run my vehicles on both LPG & CNG systems for 10 years (In other countries), I can tell you they are cleaner burning, better for your vehicle & vastly less expensive in terms of fuel costs.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You seem to forget that Boone Pickens a republican presidential candidate supported and predeicted it long ago. Its also the same industry that has made this possible despite democratic opposition to drilling for natural gas. Despite any energy policy not being in place we can think the oil and gas industry making what every president since carter has promised; energy independence in near future.Another free market private enterprise success story.
T Boone also supported wind energy until he didn't get his way with the states paying for his transmission lines. He also at the same time tried to claim rights to the Ollagalla Aquifier and wanted to pump water to texas from there. Same issues arose. Now he's onto nat gas. I don't trust that guy as far as I could throw his wallet.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:12 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No pollution... ZERO.
The by product of burnt NG, is H2O
You're not very good at basic chemistry, are you?

I assure you the product of CH4 + 02 is not just H2O. Now, the product of Hydrogen gas plus O2 is but we're not talking about hydrogen gas here.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
They already have, just like they continue to attack hybrids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Conservatives don't have a problem with electric vehicles or hybrids.

They have a problem with the government using tax money to subsidize them.

You should at least know what you are arguing against before you start arguing.
ohiohrules is right. conservatives have no issues with electric cars, or hybrids per say, but we do have an issue with them being subsidized by the government. if someone wants a hybrid, why should they get $7,000-10,000 just for buying the car? i also have no issue with CNG, or most other alternative fuels being used either. i do have an issue with some of the tanks being used, and the location where the tanks are located, but as to the fuel itself, no problem here, in fact i ADVOCATE for alternative fuels.

one more thing, i do warn that it wont be cheap to build the infrastructure needed to handle the alternative fuels, and it will take a fair amount of time before these fuels hit the market is a big way.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Compressed Natural Gas = A Bomb Waiting to Happen.

Anyone who is opposed to consuming oil for fuel, should be even more concerned with consuming natural gas for fuel. Using natural gas as a combustible would release large amounts of methane into the atmosphere, which is 25 times worse than CO2 as a "greenhouse gas."
Pretty much a myth based post.
Thailand has been using LPG and CNG without issue. Then again they also offer more choices in fuels and even perish the thought have a lot of diesel engine pickups.
Both LPG and CNG would go far to helping this nation become independent from foreign oil.
Americans are great inventors and innovators it is ironic that we also tend to resist change.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
It's not just the Republicans, it's also the Democrats equally. The EPA is corrupt & both parties love it that way because lobbyists (Oil & Auto Industry mostly) give them money to restrict progress. The Auto Industry doesn't want you simply converting your existing vehicle over to for $1,000 with only the cost of a kit & installation! They want to a monopoly on the technology itself & they want you to buy a new vehicle from them with that technology already installed. So they lobby Congress & the EPA to make it damn near impossible to get certified to do the conversions (Outside of corporate fleets). Simple huh? Sure, you can convert your vehicle, but only if a certified shop does the conversion & we won't certify anyone Like wise the Oil Industry doesn't want you buying your fuel from someone other than them. So go ahead & buy that Alt-Fuel vehicle, but good luck finding a fueling station! They've lobbied your Congressmen & the EPA so that it's damn near impossible to run an Alt-Fuel, fueling station.

Having run my vehicles on both LPG & CNG systems for 10 years (In other countries), I can tell you they are cleaner burning, better for your vehicle & vastly less expensive in terms of fuel costs.
that's a tragedy for job growth, isn't it?

and we wouldn't have to go to the mideast to get supplied.

if the government had used that "stimulus money" building alt fuel stations and alt fuel vehicles, we would have a booming economy right now.

of course, there is one hopeful sign on the horizon-from a republican governor, no less:

In a bold and sort of unexpected move, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell has signed an executive order calling for widespread use of natural gas, electric or other alternative-fueled vehicles throughout the Commonwealth.

The Virginia Office of Fleet Management Services, which oversees approximately 4,000 passenger-type vehicles used by some 175 state agencies and institutions, will be tasked with replacing much of its fleet with alternative-fuel vehicles.

Effective immediately, Virginia is to, “pursue all practicable and cost-effective options to promote the use of alternative fuel vehicles.” Increased use of alternative fuel vehicles holds, according to Governor McDonnel, the potential to, “reduce our dependence on foreign oil, support the expansion of private-sector businesses and create new jobs here in the Commonwealth.”

Governor McDonnell says the state’s “all fuel approach” provides the Commonwealth with the best opportunity to meet its goals.

that's the way we like it.

...although you can bet that special interests will be going after him.

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-19-2013 at 06:29 AM..

Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post

Talk about eating the line, along with the bait....

Look, I'm all for drill baby drill. It is making me not have to work as hard in my later years. They sank 2 new wells almost a year ago and refracked an old well on my property in Cost Tx.

In the 80's I got all the mineral rights to the wells on my property. Now, with the new oil boom, I have to share my wealth with my neighbors. They have no wells, but they say I must let them have a % of the oil drawn up from my wells.

Now with that said, the only way we become "oil independent" is if the oil industry is taken over by the federal government, 100%. It's getting there.... slowly

Oil is traded on the stock market. There is no independence in a traded commodity.

They are lying to us, to keep us ignorant, while the oil lobby makes off with the prize.
With wells pumping, you would think I would want oil to go up and up in price.
Thing is, I have to buy refined oil to fill the machinery, which is a big hit in the pocket for the other businesses I have to run.

World supply and demand, will never let oil be independent, in a free market USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies