Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,876 times

Advertisements

The people I have an issue with would be retailers selling and profiting from Christmas items, and having a problem with people saying "Merry Christmas."
If you see somebody in your store buying tinsel & garland -- DUH!! (Kind of like, when it's not my birthday, still wish HB to others whose birthday it is that day.)

I'd boycott the joint forever, no matter how much I needed something from there. If they are against it, offended, or so worried about offending people, then don't sell the stuff! Hypocrites!

Last edited by Travel'r; 11-26-2007 at 09:11 PM..

Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
If you really want an answer to that question then why don't you stop by a church one day and find out for yourself?
I believe she wants to know why so many people seem to propose that non-Christians are bad people.

Good people come in all flavors. So do jerks. Growing up in a Southern Baptist home taught me that being a "Christian" doesn't make you a good person.

Living my life in the meantime has taught me that not being a "christian" doesn't make you a bad one.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
I guess I think she should stop by and find out for herself because she could see that not all churches are the same nor are the parishoners. She might find her answers more clearly than getting from many random posters. I would also wager that not all Southern Baptist homes contain "bad" Christians either.

It is easy to find those who say "do as I say but not as I do" but when you truly do find someone who lives up to the true Christian values - you know it and you know it in a good way. They really do stand apart and it's hard to explain how but you know it when you find it.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I believe she wants to know why so many people seem to propose that non-Christians are bad people.

Good people come in all flavors. So do jerks. Growing up in a Southern Baptist home taught me that being a "Christian" doesn't make you a good person.

Living my life in the meantime has taught me that not being a "christian" doesn't make you a bad one.
I don't think anyone on this thread said or implied that non-Chirsitans are bad people. Ms. chielgirl has expressed more hostility to Christians (Or xians as she calls them) than any Christian has expressed to her. I learned the above, too, as well as the reverse through my life experience.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I don't think anyone on this thread said or implied that non-Chirsitans are bad people. Ms. chielgirl has expressed more hostility to Christians (Or xians as she calls them) than any Christian has expressed to her. I learned the above, too, as well as the reverse through my life experience.
Oh, I know it hasn't been generally implied. I was just referring to texas's statement that if Chielgirl wanted an answer to "that question" she could stop by a church. I wasn't sure which question texas was referring to.

I have heard it said and implied that morality cannot truly exist without faith. That's worthy of a whole other thread.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Life is good, and Christmas shall always rein, in the hearts and souls of good people.
This is a direct quote from Summering. It implies that a) only "good people" believe in xmas and b) if you don't believe in xmas, you are not "good".

I don't want to go to your church or any church. I don't want xians telling me anything that I must do or calling me names or playing any of their other games with me.

Do as you want, but leave the rest of us out of it.
The only xians I have animosity towards are the door xians who won't read, listen or look and insist that they want to save me.

I will challenge the EXclusiveness of xianity, the EXclusiveness of sharing the winter solstice with others and the faux insult they feel that the holiday is their holiday alone.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:09 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
The people I have an issue with would be retailers selling and profiting from Christmas items, and having a problem with people saying "Merry Christmas."
If you see somebody in your store buying tinsel & garland -- DUH!! (Kind of like, when it's not my birthday, still wish HB to others whose birthday it is that day.)

I'd boycott the joint forever, no matter how much I needed something from there. If they are against it, offended, or so worried about offending people, then don't sell the stuff! Hypocrites!
Okay, but what if I (a Jew) walk into that same store, and buy some Chanukah cards and supplies? I've done just that at Target, WalMart, Safeway, Hallmark, and many other retail chains... so wouldn't it be hypocritical and linguistically incorrect NOT to call it "Holiday shopping?" Supplies for non-Christmas holidays don't just magically appear, so obviously we buy them somewhere. So here's what I've always believed - if a store, show, etc. is only focused on Christmas, call it Christmas; if any other holidays are represented, call it Holiday. Makes perfect sense to me! It's also just smart business, since I would bypass a store that specifically said "Christmas supplies," as I would assume they had nothing for Chanukah.

P.S. Chanukah starts next week, whereas Christmas is still a month away... thanks to everyone for ignoring us as usual, and dominating even the week before OUR holiday - LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-27-2007 at 02:36 AM..

Old 11-27-2007, 02:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Gizmo, since I'll be on holiday next week, allow me to wish a Happy Chanukah.

I was always a bit sad that the only Chanukah song I knew was dreidel, dreidel, dreidel.
As a child, I did like the idea of so many days of celebration and the candles.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Gizmo, since I'll be on holiday next week, allow me to wish a Happy Chanukah.

I was always a bit sad that the only Chanukah song I knew was dreidel, dreidel, dreidel.
As a child, I did like the idea of so many days of celebration and the candles.
Thanks, chielgirl, and happy early holidays to you. Sucks that dreidel dreidel dreidel is the only song people know, since it's probably one of our STUPIDEST songs! Listen to this, if you want to hear some real/traditional Chanukah hymns...

YouTube - Maoz Tzur Medley - miami boys choir - hanukkah

Old 11-27-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Ooh, what do you play? I have seen my mom sing the Messiah many times since I was a kid. That is some Christmas music I don't mind, since I don't hear it every waking hour for months before Christmas.

I am also a musician, as well as a songwriter, though not professional, but that might be the biggest reason for my contempt of the Christmas season. Hearing the same songs over and over, especially the simpler songs, is like nails scraping on chalkboard for me. I do like it when artists write their own Christmas songs, because it's fresh. I can't stand it when people remake the same old carols we've had blasting in our ears for decades. A couple of years ago, I was on a road trip with a good friend who happens to love Christmas carols and she put the radio on the Christmas station, so I spent the whole drive wanting to climb out of my skin (didn't complain though).

Anyway, yes. I am not religious at all, but I am partial to inclusive culture, so I agree that if one religion is on display, all of the major religions should be as well (that would include buddhism, hinduism, Judaism, Islam, and Christianity.)
I play viola (as well as other instruments), which is always in big demand around the holidays - and the rest of the year, LOL. I also dislike the butchering of certain songs, but the Messiah is thankfully left alone most of the time... beautiful piece of music, even though I'm getting a little sick of playing it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies