Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 04:59 AM

23 posts, read 117,502 times

Advertisements

Here is another child of the 60's and each holiday does mean overindulgence, but
Hmm, feeling guilty are we?

Personally, the only problem with celebrating ANYTHING is that the people demanding tolerance really mean that everyone should tolerate them, but they will find fault with whatever others may do. There was a time in America when equal rights was understood. It had been replaced by political correctness and tolerance; had equal rights quietly slipped down the drain.........?

Old 12-02-2007, 02:04 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I agree. I would much rather hear "Happy Holidays" than "Can I see some ID?", or the ever-popular "Is that going be it?"

"Is that going to be it." What the hell am I supposed to say? "No, that's not going to be it." "Something else is going to be it"? How about "No, you're going to be it."

Or "Did you find everything okay?" ("No, I found everything not okay." Or "No, I didn't find everything okay." Or "No, I didn't find everything. Okay?")
That's pretty funny. Sadly, I think the semantic nuances might be lost on most store clerks, especially if they're going nuts with so many customers doing their holiday shopping, muttering in front of displays, etc

Old 12-02-2007, 04:37 PM

240 posts, read 471,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
actually you christians can have the 20% and 50% off Christmas sale, and us non christians can have the 75% off after christmas sale, that is what I am really looking forward to, I need a new pair of jeans and some sneakers,,, a winter jacket to now that I think about it, December 26th cant get here soon enough!

And Larry the Cable guy is a moron, I can honestly watch him and not crack a smile, I dont understand the kind of people who get his humor, and I like some redneck humor, Jeff Foxworthy is funny, but Larry the Cable guy and that other guy who tours with him are not funny in the slightest
You think you can get a decent pair of jeans after x-mas, lol, or coat.
Junk is all that's left after x-mas. You can have the discounted crap. And the good sneakers don't get discounted 75% after x-mas. The retailers play us all, not just the Christians celebrating the holiday. Oh by the way do you not understand the economy gets a great economical boost from all this hub bub. It keeps a lot of employed folks employed. Win Win situation. If someone overspends, then they have a lesson to learn, they will figure it out. What I don't get is all the deep pysho analyzing of this Holiday.
Botton line just enjoy or don't do it, it goes by so fast. Just another excuse for loud mouths to sound off their boring thoughts.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Edited to remove my very sarcastic remark.

Last edited by roseba; 12-04-2007 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-04-2007, 11:50 AM

Everyone I know that celebrates Christmas... not a one of them ever goes to church or talks about religion or Jesus in context of Christmas. As far as I'm concerned, Christmas is a secular holiday. It does not trump other religious holidays except that it gets all the attention because someone can make a bag full of money by doing so.

How come Jesus was born on a different day in Russia anyway?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
chielgirl would allow people to believe what they want without demanding that they adhere to something they don't believe. This is particularly true for those who are very clear about not wanting to be bothered.

I don't want anyone to follow me, I would graciously accept differences and debate them but not insist that people are wrong or lesser because they don't believe (or not) as I do. I would not make comments to purposely offend people who believe other than I do.

Unfortunately, that's not occurring on this thread.

What would be the response to a comment to christians of satan bless you or some other comment that I knew would offend you? I don't say that because it would offend you. Yet, some of the christians on this board choose to offend.

Pittnurse, if I know someone's religion, it's usually the christians, and most of them (the ones whose religious beliefs I do know) do behave in that manner. I'm sure there are many christians who do not foist their religion on others but the self-professed ones seem to enjoy the baiting and superiority. You're probably right about the "some christians" but they are the vocal ones that the entire belief system is judged on.
I agree with much you say. But I bet that the minority vocal one's are the loudest, and seem to make other people notice more and make them numbers seem louder. But, in general, it seems that vocal minorities of religion tend to feel more self-righteous about the prostelyzing then political movements and vocal minorities of other groups and ideologies.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
That's pretty funny. Sadly, I think the semantic nuances might be lost on most store clerks, especially if they're going nuts with so many customers doing their holiday shopping, muttering in front of displays, etc
Oh, I know. My younger son was in retail for a while, and he clued me to the abuse that clerks have to put up with. Especially from potentiallly menacing, borderline geezers like me .

I try to compensate for my grumpiness by being a very generous tipper.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:32 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,892 times
The War on Christmas is over, .....I won. You lost.

To the victor goes the spoils.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Exactly!! I don't care if someone wants to celebrate another holiday besides Christmas but don't tell me I can't celebrate Christmas. As Larry the Cable Guy would say "If you don't want to say Merry Christmas then get the heck out of the stores. 50% off and 20% off is for believers of Jesus only!!" I notice the anti-Christmas crowd has no problem taking Christmas day off of work either. Maybe only Christians should be allowed to have Christmas day off from work.
Can't speak for all non-Christians, but I ALWAYS volunteer to work Christmas, if I'm in a job where it's possible... now I work in a city job, so there's really no option for us. Trust me, I'd gladly work Christmas if we got OUR holidays off in return! Do you know what I had to go through for Passover & the High Holy Days? For starters, I had to either use a sick day or forfeit my salary for the day - that is, if they even let me have it off (they said "we'll see"). Can you imagine if Christians got that treatment when asking for Christmas or Easter off? Oh, heads would roll!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:07 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Just who is telling Christians they can't celebrate Christmas?
That's what I'm trying to figure out too! Christmas is still alive and well, as evidenced by the beautiful lights & displays I saw last night (in my sister's neighborhood - mine is mostly Chinese-Buddhist)... nobody is stopping anyone from celebrating Christmas, especially not in your own homes.

Quote:
Perhaps the "anti-Christmas crowd" is sick of all the fuss.
But I know that some people who do not celebrate the holiday use their time off productively.
Many non-Christians volunteer in hospitals and similar places during Christmas.
Unlike Larry, instead of just *saying* GitRDone, they actually do it. volunteering at Christmas (http://wjz.com/local/2.424739.html - broken link)
Christmas is such a special time; it really makes me sad when I see it flaunted instead of celebrated.
Amen to that. My family would always volunteer on Christmas, as my mother felt it was a good lesson for us... we'd usually go to the local soup kitchen, and serve Christmas dinner to the needy folks there. We also delivered gift/food baskets many times a year (as my mother says, "People aren't just hungry at the holidays!"), and so on. I'm not saying this for kudos, but to prove the point that we're not just sitting around & whining about Christmas - which is more than I can say for some Christians here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies