Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If someone used the word "Tar-baby" around you, would you be offended?
Yes, I would be offended or uncomfortable 7 41.18%
No, I would be just fine using that word around me/my friends 8 47.06%
(please read below first) I don't know/don't care 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

Real good to have you posting, Rufus Roosevelt; just want to gently remind you we here have some rules about posting, and one is no name calling. Talk your talk; walk with pride and share away, but no personal attacks. Okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Roosevelt View Post
You white folks get so messed up with language you pretend to understnd. If a man clls a man a n...ger, it don't matter what he says its how he said it. A little true. The funny thig for this ole black man is girlish talk about obvious things. I was born in 1925. I raised 11 children, one is a doctor. I worked a farm for fifty years and made my boss man money and in return I have wonderful successful children. My daughter taught me to type and turn on a computer. I taught myself to read and write and type fifty year ago. I have more quality time at the supper table than most of you have on life. Is tar baby offensive? Are democrats lyin hippocrits? Tha onli negrose I knos is tha negrose that follows lyin democrats around like ignorant mice runnin after the pied pied peiper. Tar Baby,huh,every man that has posted here I bet it all is a democrat. Independent people have too much class. Even ole n..ers like me got more class than that.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I am the offender, I guess. What can I say? I'm old. I remember when such expressions were not meant as racial slurs, but in reference to the characters in the Uncle Remus stories (specifically Br'er Rabbit). In that context, I used it to refer to a nemesis which is difficult to discard, and not in some racist fashion.

But I got negative reps, and a scolding from the Mod, all because someone applied politically correct false outrage to the characterizations of someone who was young when their parents were not yet born. In short, I got gotcha'ed. That sort of thing passes for ethical vindication these days.

Maybe ths whole thread should be subsumed into the PC conversation.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:10 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Gracious response, Yeledaf and I thank you for it.

I think it is best not to incorporate this into PC-talk, but rather put it to bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I am the offender, I guess. What can I say? I'm old. I remember when such expressions were not meant as racial slurs, but in reference to the characters in the Uncle Remus stories (specifically Br'er Rabbit). In that context, I used it to refer to a nemesis which is difficult to discard, and not in some racist fashion.

But I got negative reps, and a scolding from the Mod, all because someone applied politically correct false outrage to the characterizations of someone who was young when their parents were not yet born. In short, I got gotcha'ed. That sort of thing passes for ethical vindication these days.

Maybe ths whole thread should be subsumed into the PC conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies