Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Perhaps you should explain to me how I am obligated, in any way, to "explain" anything to you? I have outlined my views, plainly, and cannot speak to the views you ask me to. They are not mine, so WHY (I hate tbis word in this context, and it is used to emphasize my point) do you ask me to even comment on tbem?

What someone else sees in this flag may or may not gell with my own take. My heartburn with this lies in the desacration of our HISTORY. And with the memory of the people who first hoisted it and what they fought and died for.

I sure as Hell feel no obligation to help you feed an agenda by commenting on views not my own. Nice try. Bait someone else.
In other words, you can't explain why all of a sudden people felt the urge to fly this flag in protest. If you are really worried about the dishonor shown to the history of this flag, it seems to me that you would first need to be able to articulate why it is currently being used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Since you claim to love this flag so much, maybe you can explain the reasons that people have decided to display it recently as some form of protest. What specific actions of the government are you or they protesting? In what tangible way is the current government "treading on you"?

If this flag is so special and is such an important symbol surely you can explain what specific grievances it is being used to protest, right?

Jesus H Christ have you been asleep at the wheel?

*How about BS nanny state laws, in telling people what they can and cannot consume.
*The Patriot Act, NDAA.
*The IRS overstepping it's bounds.
*Corporate cronyism.
*Stealing money from taxpayers to give to those who won't get off of their a** to get a job, (and no I'm not talking about the working poor, or those who have certain disabilities that hinder them from working).
*Stealing from taxpayers to bailout large corporations for their p***poor mistakes, while continuing to fleece the middle class.
*Stealing from taxpayers to fund BS wars in countries that pose no threat to the shores of this country.

That good enough for you?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Jesus H Christ have you been asleep at the wheel?

*How about BS nanny state laws, in telling people what they can and cannot consume.
Are you referring to the drug war? Is that a recent development? Why weren't people flying this flag back in the 80s?

*The Patriot Act, NDAA.
How many people were flying this flag while Bush/Cheney and the GOP were in charge? You know the people actually responsible for passing the Patriot Act.
*The IRS overstepping it's bounds.
Please provide more information, in what specific ways has the IRS overstepped its bounds?

*Corporate cronyism.
Again, is this something that just started happening recently? This really got going back in the 80s while Reagan was President, I don't remember people marching around waving Gadsden flags though.

*Stealing money from taxpayers to give to those who won't get off of their a** to get a job, (and no I'm not talking about the working poor, or those who have certain disabilities that hinder them from working).
*Stealing from taxpayers to bailout large corporations for their p***poor mistakes, while continuing to fleece the middle class.
*Stealing from taxpayers to fund BS wars in countries that pose no threat to the shores of this country.

What is your definition of stealing from taxpayers? Do you define any form of taxation as theft? And once again, why all of a sudden does the Gadsden flag make an appearance? The income tax is not something new is it?

That good enough for you?
No, not good enough at all. You provided a list of vague reasons, but none of them offer any explanation for what has changed in the last few years to make people display this flag.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
In other words, you can't explain why all of a sudden people felt the urge to fly this flag in protest. If you are really worried about the dishonor shown to the history of this flag, it seems to me that you would first need to be able to articulate why it is currently being used.
Sure, I can see and have opinions as to why it's a eing used in certain ways by certain people. And it sickens me to see it used thus. In certain cases, though an overstatement IMO, perhaps it is appropriate, in others, not so much. I fail to see your agenda is drawing me into specifics, beyond what I have made plain, are MY views.

Other than you wish to try and trap me into a statement that can be twisted, or otherwise used, to try and prove me to be some goose stepping baboon in a remote compound somewhere. No joy. Anyone can use any symbol as a banner to their cause. And you know what many of the "causes" that are rallying using tbe Gadsden are, as do I. What does that have to do with MY position, or yours, now. I'm not going to be drawn into talking about beliefs that I don't adhere to, as my own. It's pointless.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 AM

863 posts, read 1,196,661 times
One of the things I think of when I see a household flying this flag is the irony that the "new right" has adopted it as their symbol. The very same people that laughed at the hippies using the flag back in the '70's as a form of protest.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
And what was it that I intended to do? Since you're so all knowing, do enlighten us. Explain exactly how I'm seeking to demean or marginalize others? The ideals of freedom, liberty, individualism and personal accountability are what was the basis of what founded this nation! How is that demeaning anyone? And then you turn around and try and compare the Gadsden Flag to that of a swastika? How on God's green Earth did you come up with that assertion? The swastika is a symbol of oppression, and bigotry. The other is the complete opposite.
I'm not the swastika poster.

As for the rest of your questions, your posts speak for themselves.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
No, not good enough at all. You provided a list of vague reasons, but none of them offer any explanation for what has changed in the last few years to make people display this flag.
Why are you upset that maybe finally people are waking up to the realities those vague reasons are based on?

I doubt at this point the election of a Republican will send these flags to the garbage.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:

*The failed drug war is one reason sure. Stupid laws such as regulating the size of a soda being another. Or the government getting into the marriage business.
*Couldn't stand Bush/Cheney, either. Obama is no different than Bush, and if you think otherwise, I have swampland in Arizona for sale.
*It certainly may have started in the 80s, but it's on steroids now.
*Why should my hard earned money be taken from me to support those who won't work? Why should my money be taken from me to support poor business practices by the big banks and Wall Street? And why should my taxes go to fund wars, or nation building that I don't support, nor agree with?

I think the reason we may see an increase in flying this flag, is because some Americans have had enough of an over expansive government, and would like to see this country and it's elected officials get back to upholding the Constitution, and what the Founding Fathers of this nation had in mind.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I'm not the swastika poster.

As for the rest of your questions, your posts speak for themselves.

Kindly explain. I'd love to hear your ASSumptions of what you THINK that I mean.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Sco

Quote:
*The failed drug war is one reason sure. Stupid laws such as regulating the size of a soda being another. Or the government getting into the marriage business.
*Couldn't stand Bush/Cheney, either. Obama is no different than Bush, and if you think otherwise, I have swampland in Arizona for sale.
*It certainly may have started in the 80s, but it's on steroids now.
*Why should my hard earned money be taken from me to support those who won't work? Why should my money be taken from me to support poor business practices by the big banks and Wall Street? And why should my taxes go to fund wars, or nation building that I don't support, nor agree with?

I think the reason we may see an increase in flying this flag, is because some Americans have had enough of an over expansive government, and would like to see this country and it's elected officials get back to upholding the Constitution, and what the Founding Fathers of this nation had in mind.
I am so sick of the vague platitudes about upholding the Constitution or the original intent of the founding fathers. What do those statements actually mean? What makes you such an expert in those topics?

Also, please explain how the government taking steps to expand equality in the form of the right to get married is an example of the government treading on you. As far as I am concerned striking down discriminatory practices like DADT and DOMA is the type of things that flag is supposed to be used to support. I guess we just have far different versions of what the words freedom and liberty actually mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies