Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:42 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Meh, just be a good ambassador for it. I have a Gadsden magnet on my car. I'm not a far right nutjob by any definition of the phrase. If someone wants to judge me prematurely for it, that's their own character flaw, not my problem.

Be not judged, just wear your colors proudly if you're an American.

I had these made up from a t shirt shop out west, and me and the spouse wear them whenever we feel revolting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Its a symbol of soft squishy animals telling the huge combine not to chop it into 10K tiny pieces...

Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
[CENTER]
The bright yellow Gadsden flag, long a symbol of support for civil liberties and disagreement with government, has its beginning deeply rooted in the days of the American Revolution. The rattlesnake, the Gadsden flag’s central feature, had been an emblem of Americans even before the Revolution. The Pennsylvania Gazette published an article in 1751 bitterly protesting the British practice of sending convicts to America where the author suggested that the colonists should return the favor by shipping them “a cargo of rattlesnakes.” Three years later the same newspaper published what is believed to be one of the first political cartoons in America. It was of a snake cut into eight sections with the words “Join, or Die” below. Each section represented a colony and was warning of the dangers of disunity.

The rattlesnake symbol caught on and became a part of several other Revolutionary War flags. Before the departure of the United States Navy’s first mission in 1775, Continental Colonel Christopher Gadsden from South Carolina presented the newly appointed commander with a yellow rattlesnake flag to serve as a standard for his flagship. Accompanying the Navy on its first mission were five companies of Marines carrying yellow drums featuring a snake with 13 rattles and the words “Don’t Tread on Me.” The Navy later adapted the snake emblem and “Don’t Tread on Me” motto into what is now known as the First Navy Jack. Featuring a rattlesnake stretched across 13 red and white stripes with “Don’t Tread on Me” below, the Secretary of the Navy ordered in 2002 that this powerful American symbol will fly on all naval ships for the duration of the War on Terrorism.
[/CENTER]

have seen quite a few of them on upscale houses in No Virginia.
Lots of retired military.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Its a symbol of soft squishy animals telling the huge combine not to chop it into 10K tiny pieces...

Ummmm yea....soft and squishy?! Have you ever caught a snake? Let alone a rattler. They are FAR from soft and squishy. I think that's the point of the flag.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:09 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
To me, it means my 2A rights SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
it seems like they're many different beliefs attached to the flag and was just wondering on what you think it means
nothing to me personally.

When I see someone using that flag, I think of someone who is an insane gun nut militia type who has ties to white supremacist organizations or other extreme right wing groups, and who hates millions of their fellow Americans, and who fantasizes about killing cops, ATF agents, FBI agents, and marauding urban youths and elected officials in their fantasies about government tyranny and a war with the federal government.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:46 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by segwaywheeler View Post
When i see someone fly those flags at their home, I try to keep away from them. They are known to be mentally ill.
Hell, that works for me.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
it seems like they're many different beliefs attached to the flag and was just wondering on what you think it means
Pretty much, leave me the hell alone.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
To me, it means my 2A rights SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
It is definitely associated with the molon labe, gun nutter, Alex Jones crowd. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to your point of view.

One thing you can be sure of is that the person displaying the flag is more likely than not a fan of the Turner Diaries with more than a passing interest in the mechanics of building fertilizer bombs. It has become just a slightly more civilized version of the swastika flag that is also popular among the neo-nazis and skinheads.

It is the banner for the far right militia types that have not yet mustered up the courage to come all the way out of the closet.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:01 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
anything that inspires such instantaneous, mindless, spluttering hatred from the leftwing nutjobs must have something going for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies