Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Not that there hasn't been any former Presidents with foreign-born (and unnaturalized at the time of their birth) parent(s)...
Chester A Arthur. Father was born in Ireland, naturalized years after his birth.

Spiro Agnew - (though a vice president, the VP has the same requirements as POTUS) father was born in Greece. naturalized after Spiro was born.

For candidates:
Michael Dukakis, father and mother were born in Greece (mother didn't naturalize till after his birth)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
How come babies who are born in America when neither of the parents' are U.S. citizens and still become U.S. citizen the babies themselves? I think it is unfair and ridiculous. The baby should become U.S. citizen only if at least one of the parent is U.S. citizen or at least having green card.

I heard quite few people from Asia and Europe who come to the U.S. just to give birth to the child so the child could become U.S. citizen, study in America in the future and could move here if wanted in future. I know they could stay for up to 90 days only, but I cannot believe how airlines could let 6-7 months pregnant women fly (I guess third world nations do not care or know). Indeed, wealthy people from the Middle East is doing this frequently.
I was born in the US when both my parents were not citizens. I'm afforded dual citizenship. That's the only benefit. Later they both became citizens. What's the big deal?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Chester A Arthur. Father was born in Ireland, naturalized years after his birth.
Chester Arthur lied about his family history, including his father's age, etc., and hid his personal credentials from the public even going so far as ordering his personal papers and documents to be burned shortly before his death.

To wit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Chester Arthur's non-eligible status based on his father's non-U.S. citizen status at the time of Chester Arthur's birth was only discovered recently. Chester Arthur repeatedly lied about his background and his family, and never disclosed the fact that his father wasn't a U.S. citizen when he was born. Documented in the book Gentleman Boss: The Life of Chester Alan Arthur.

Furthermore, Chester Arthur refused to ever let anyone see his personal papers, and instead of donating them to the Library of Congress, as do most U.S. Presidents or their heirs, he had them destroyed shortly before his death.
Quote:
"During his lifetime, my father would never let anyone see them—not even me. When they finally came into my possession, I was amazed that there were so few. At my father's funeral in Albany, or rather at the interment of his ashes which took place several months after his death [July 17,1934], I enquired of all the cousins there assembled—the nieces and nephews of my grandfather, as to what had happened to the bulk of the papers. Charles E. McElroy, the son of Mary Arthur McElroy who was my grandfather's First Lady, tells me that the day before he died, my grandfather caused to be burned three large garbage cans, each at least four feet high, full of papers which I am sure would have thrown much light on history.

So wrote Chester A. Arthur III to Dr. Thomas P. Martin, then Acting Chief of the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress, on April 15, 1938."
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/mss/eadxmlmss/eadpdfmss/2009/ms009139.pdf

Quote:
Spiro Agnew - (though a vice president, the VP has the same requirements as POTUS) father was born in Greece. naturalized after Spiro was born.
No. Agnew's father (Theodore S., last name Anagnostopoulos before being shortened to Agnew) had naturalized (na = naturalized, al = alien) by the 1910 Census, before Spiro Agnew's birth:

Quote:
For candidates:
Michael Dukakis, father and mother were born in Greece (mother didn't naturalize till after his birth)
Do you have any proof that M.D.'s mother wasn't naturalized by the time of his birth? She may have naturalized when her family immigrated to Massachusetts. She attended a U.S. university, Bates College in Lewiston, Maine.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 08-21-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Found it. M.D.'s mother (Euterpe) naturalized prior to 1927, before Michael's birth.

"While [teaching high school] at Ashland, Euterpe obtained her U.S. citizenship on her own initiative... In 1927, she took a teaching position at the junior high school in Amsbury, Massachusetts"

Greek Americans: Struggle and Success - Google Books

So we have:

Chester Arthur - Constitutionally ineligible due to being born in the U.S. to an alien father, but lied about it and hid the incriminating info up until his own death bed.
Spiro Agnew - Born in the U.S. to citizen parents. Constitutionally eligible.
Michael Dukakis - Born in the U.S. to citizen parents. Constitutionally eligible.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,282 times
Quote:

Chester Arthur - Constitutionally ineligible due to being born in the U.S. to an alien father, but lied about it and hid the incriminating info up until his own death bed.
Spiro Agnew - Born in the U.S. to citizen parents. Constitutionally eligible.
Michael Dukakis - Born in the U.S. to citizen parents. Constitutionally eligible.

thanks for the correction on Michael Dukakis, but YOU are wrong about Spiro and Chester

According to to the Census Data for Agnew's father, he wasn't a citizen till after Spiro was born. He listed himself as not a citizen. The 1920 Census of Agnew's father listed him as AL (Alien) and the 1930 Census listed him as Na (Naturalized). The issue however is that the 1910 Census, shows a Theodore S. Anagost listed as Naturalized (but there is no confirmation that this was Spiro's father seeing as his full name was Anagnostopoulos).

And as for Chester A Aruthur, you are knowingly lying when you say that it was about his father's citizenship when that is not even the truth. IT was and always about where CHESTER WAS BORN. Arthur P. Hinman suggested that Chester was either born in Ireland and later claimed that he was born in Canada, since Chester's father was born in Ireland and emigrated to Canada. Also that Chester was born in a town that was close to the Canadian border.

The citizenship of his father WAS WELL KNOWN (seeing as Arthur Hinman wrote about his father, prior to Chester's election to POTUS). Arthur Hinman even says that Chester's father was born in Ireland in his book : "How a British Subject became President of the United States".

the only thing that Chester is "guilty" of changing, was the year of his birth, as noted and respected biographer Thomas C Reeves reasoned, out of vanity (Chester wanted to appear "younger"). Reeve's has claimed that Hinman's claim about the birthplace of Chester is unfounded, and that the Arthur's family bible (held at the Library of Congress) lists Chester's birth as 1829 in Vermont ( Gentleman Boss: The Life of Chester Alan Arthur ([Signature series book]): Thomas C. Reeves: 9780945707035: Amazon.com: Books )

so do we believe the claims of a person who worked for Chester's political rival to drum up distrust of Chester A Arthur (who had absolutely no support for this claims) during a time when both politicians were vying to be a candidate for POTUS, or do we believe the writings of Arthur's family, who kept records of births and deaths in their family bible, which is housed at the Library of Congress?

Quote:
ST. ALBANS, Vt., Dec. 21.–”A stranger arrived here a few days ago, and registered at the American House as A. P. Hinman, of New-York. Since then he has been very busy in the adjoining town of Fairfield, ostensibly collecting materials for a biography of Vice-President-elect Arthur. He has privately stated to leading Democratic citizens, however, that he is employed by the Democratic National Committee to obtain evidence to show that Gen. Arthur is an unnaturalized foreigner. He claims to have discovered that Gen. Arthur was born in Canada, instead of Fairfield; that his name is Chester Allen instead of Chester Abell [sic]; that he was 50 years old in July instead of October, as has been stated, and generally that he is an alien and ineligible to the office of Vice-President.

The New York Times, 1880
Even The New York Times chronicled the smear campaign that Hinman was doing.

Hmmm. decisions....

Last edited by Arus; 08-21-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Realistically, if no one knows they exist because they are undocumented, how is it determined that illegal aliens are actually registered?

And don't make us laugh... they're in the U.S. illegally but for some odd reason decide they're going to comply with federal law on just this one thing?

Jurisdiction isn't about a person's choice to comply or not. It's about the law applying to THEM. They are required by law to do something. That's an assertion of jurisdiction by the government.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
No. They aren't required to register for Selective Service.
But they are required to comply with the laws of the United States, and with the laws of the state they reside in. That's an assertion of jurisdiction.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
So if they never attempt to naturalize (we do after all have 11 million illegal aliens in the U.S.), no one would know they never registered for Selective Service.
So what?

If you rob a bank, and don't get caught, that doesn't mean that the state laws against bank robbery don't apply to you. Jurisdiction is saying that the laws do apply to you. You might still get away with breaking the law.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
In order to be considered “natural born”, the person must be born on American soil and to 2 American citizens. This term “natural born citizen’ is extremely important qualification, as it demonstrates complete allegiance. one born with a parent of another country will have a tainted birth.

Every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the language of the Constitution itself.
Oh, phooey. My mother was born on American soil. Her father was an immigrant from Ireland who was denied entry to the United States, went to Canada instead, met and eloped with my Canadian grandmother to Vermont where they were married. There has NEVER been any question that my mother was a natural-born American citizen, even though her father wasn't naturalized at the time of her birth, and my grandmother didn't naturalize until the 1980's. This "tainted" birth meme is exceedingly offensive.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
It doesnt need amended... just interpreted correctly.. whats with people and their lascivious nature? balls on the brain
I agree. I would think something along that this was, like so many other things, done while being guilty of breaking the laws of the US. If you have to break the law to do it, then what comes after becomes illegal too. Working illegally, having children become citizens, driving illegally, voting illegally...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies