Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
TL;DR. Wrong. I never specifically said I wanted homosexuals to get all kinds of perks or to be treated differently.
I'm not arguing that you specifically said it. I was arguing that you indeed hinted and inferred it, contrary to your claim that you didn't to NJBest, and I gave specific examples of you hinting and inferring it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That wasn't your only claim though, you also said you didn't hint, infer, or clue it either. Your words, not mine. You seem to have a problem having ownership of your own words and ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador
Sorry, but you don't get to talk for me and I never once said, hinted, inferred, clued, or any other annotation say that I want homosexuals to get preferential treatment.
To any person reading your posts it is clear that you advocate special privileges for homosexual service members. You appear to believe this is due to being owed it for past inequality. I don't agree with that philosophy, not even for gender or race which is to my benefit to embrace, so it should come as no surprise that I feel that way about sexual orientation too, which doesn't impact me. I have less issue with your belief that it is okay than your refusal to acknowledge that that is what you are advocating. Your deliberate dishonesty about your own words is very telling.
Are you trying to claim that wasn't your posting? Is there a second adiosToreador out there? Or has someone broke into your account and written words under your name?

Quote:
If you ever decided to use your brain for once, you'd realize this policy makes a lot of sense.
I'm not arguing about the policy's intent, I'm arguing that it is not right to grant uncharged leave to only one demographic group and deny it to other demographic groups that are in the same circumstances.

Quote:
Where can heterosexuals get married? Anywhere in the United States.
Not true for all heterosexuals. Those wishing to marry first cousin can only do so unrestricted in 19 states and DC and those wishing to marry pregnant 16 year olds can only do so in 2 states. These are marriages that are legal in some American states but not necessarily within 100 miles of the service member's current duty station.
Quote:
Where can homosexuals get married? Only in about 20 or so states of the Union.
I believe it is 12 and DC.

Quote:
Your crocodile tears do not fool me.
Whose crying? I am trying to have an intellectual discussion. I am advocating for a policy that does not involve disparate treatment based on demographic group membership. You are the one advocating disparate treatment.

On another note, in regards to the repeated "crocodile tears" comment, I have done the best I could to remain respectful to you and your views without resorting to juvenile tactics. I may not agree with your thinking process or views but that doesn't mean what you say doesn't deserve consideration and an intelligent response. It would be nice if you could at least try to do the same.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:59 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Why do liberals support preferential treatment for gay people?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Oldhag - So why do you care?
In the 40's President Truman made it legal for blacks to have equality in the military.
Later, women were given a somewhat equal standing.
Now, it's the turn of the homosexuals to have their equality.

That's what is known as progress - something that conservatives often have a problem with.
When cancer tumors grow an Oncologist calls it progress

Old 08-21-2013, 04:52 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
That's fine, I have no problem with them serving in the military or getting some benefits. But why can't gay people just keep it to themselves? Why do they have to let everyone know they are gay? It's like they want everyone to give them attention and celebrate it.

Like who cares? Get over yourselves.
Why can't straight people just keep it to themselves? They are always holding hands, hugging, talking about weekend plans, having weddings, etc.

Why do they have to let everyone know they are straight? It's like they want attention and to celebrate it.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why do liberals support preferential treatment for gay people?
When we can get married in all 50 states, then there will be no need for special leave for military personnel.

Why do you want preferential treatment for straight people?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:14 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,382 times
Again, I am glad I got out. Just in time. Women on subs, more political correctness, gays openly allowed, etc. I would not want to be in todays military.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:18 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
I have no issue with that. None. What I have an issue with is designating a special leave that can only be used for one demographic group. That is desperate treatment, which is specifically not allowed by DoD policy. Have the same policy - just word it differently so it does not apply to only one group. That is ALL I am asking. I seriously do not get how people say "I want to end discrimination against group A so I think the best solution is to discriminate against group B, even though there is a perfectly good solution that would discriminate against neither and fix the problem". That's what you're all arguing.
I get what you're saying, but who are the groups you believe are being left out? The only examples you could give earlier for other "demographic groups" were 1) someone needing to travel to one of the 27 states that allows first cousins to marry (seriously--how often do first cousins get married? One in a couple of thousand marriages?) or travel to the two states where a pregnant minor child can get married without parental permission. Giving a soldier special leave expressly for the purpose of taking a minor child across state lines so he can marry his underage girlfriend without her parent's consent (teenagers can get married in all 50 states WITH parental consent) is a bag of worms that NO agency is going to step into--it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. It sounds like the DoD policy was restricted to gay marriages (which involves consenting adults) for a reason.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-21-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Oldhag - So why do you care?
In the 40's President Truman made it legal for blacks to have equality in the military.
Later, women were given a somewhat equal standing.
Now, it's the turn of the homosexuals to have their equality.

That's what is known as progress - something that conservatives often have a problem with.
The difference is having black skin is not a sin against nature. Being a woman is not a sin against nature. Two men in a sexual relationship is a sin against nature and God. Big difference.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why can't straight people just keep it to themselves? They are always holding hands, hugging, talking about weekend plans, having weddings, etc.

Why do they have to let everyone know they are straight? It's like they want attention and to celebrate it.
Because it is normal behavior... same sex sexual behavior is abnormal and also immoral.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:43 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
This is something that has never been granted to their heterosexual counterparts, and will continue to not be granted to them. So much for equality. The theory is that this will allow them to travel to states where the marriages are legal. However, the service has never granted uncharged leave to those seeking to travel to one of the 20 states that allow marriage to first cousins when stationed a place that doesn't allow it. And in before someone comments on it - I personally know two couples the first cousin issue applied to.

Military to allow leave for gay weddings - latimes.com
We will have equality when same-marriages take place in all of the United States. It's time off for the sake of inconvenience. Why doth thou protest too much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies