Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Sen. Harry Reid: Obamacare 'Absolutely' A Step Toward A Single-Payer System

Well, yesterday on PBS’ Nevada Week In Review, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) was asked whether his goal was to move Obamacare to a single-payer system. His answer? “Yes, yes. Absolutely, yes.”

Reid said he thinks the country has to “work our way past” insurance-based health care during a Friday night appearance on Vegas PBS’ program “Nevada Week in Review.”

“What we’ve done with Obamacare is have a step in the right direction, but we’re far from having something that’s going to work forever,” Reid said.

When then asked by panelist Steve Sebelius whether he meant ultimately the country would have to have a health care system that abandoned insurance as the means of accessing it, Reid said: “Yes, yes. Absolutely, yes.”

Well this is obvious to anyone who follows this.

My problem (well, one of my problems) is that this is not what was promoted - because they knew people in America did not want a single payer system. So Obamacare is just a bait and switch to get to what they really want - which is a monopoly of the health care payment system.

We should have had single payer eons ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does 1/2 the nation which pays no income tax, understand the ramifications of something that has no impact on them and what difference does it make if one pays for health insurance, or taxes, if the amount is the same?
For a feasible single payer system income taxes would not be raised, FICA taxes would. Instead of the low wage workers paying 7.45% in FICA, their taxes would be raised to ~17.3%. What they won't tell you is what the level of care would be. Medicaid is worse than being uninsured, but Medicare is better than being uninsured. Medicare is set to be depleted by 2026 though.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But we were discussing how people being hired are being hired as part timers, and your reply was that Obamacare isnt being defunded.

Why cant you follow a discussion?
We weren't "discussing" anything. You were making baseless claims, I was providing some statistical data on the subject of, Obamacare and the upcoming start of the exchange start up. Oh, and a little RWNJ fodder.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
We weren't "discussing" anything. You were making baseless claims, I was providing some statistical data on the subject of, Obamacare and the upcoming start of the exchange start up. Oh, and a little RWNJ fodder.
If we werent having a discussion, then why did you post this?
I made a claim based upon FACTS, and you ignored those facts that NEW employees are mostly part timers, and of course that was in response to you ignoring basic math that only 1% of the employees are required to lose their private insurance to make up the 1.5M on the exchange extra which we are seeing..

Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They are also the ones that dun tawk liek theeus, like half of Hannity's callers from Ohio and Indiana
Good thing I know that liberals aren't prejudiced, because liberals have told me so - otherwise I might see this as a Grade A example of bigotry.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:33 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Proof? Or is that just a statistic you pulled out of your derrière?

Everyone I know understands the tax issue perfectly. They also understand that it's a tradeoff for the massive amounts of money we spend in unreimbursed health costs every year.
The "tradeof"f isn't paid by them now. It's paid by me.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
We should have had single payer eons ago.
What about the constitution? Which clause allows the government to shut down private insurance companies?

Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Or so he and others thought. But its so screwed up that its likely to mean never getting to that point as they are having a hard time funding it and its only going to get harder in future. that is what happens when the proposers refuse to have any part in fundig it and lok to tax other to plus supposed savings that rarely come about. Max Baucus(D) recently called it a train wreck for a reason.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Right, lets go back to a system that left people with pre-existing conditions to die in bankruptcy. As much as you would like for that to happen it WON'T!
Pre-Medicare, life was considered a pre-existing condition and seniors were generally considered uninsurable, regardless of their physical condition.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
NO!....and you'll be figuring that out some day in the near future....what it's going to take for you to realize that, will probably be when it effects you personally.
Hah. And I guess you were one of the lucky ones who didn't have pre-existing conditions under our prior system. Our healthcare system has effected me personally already and it wasn't good. I am VERY open to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies