Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:23 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
ROFLMAO Yeah, the laws in NY and "surrounding states" are working soooo well that those in the areas are buying them on a black-market. Wonder if they are the law-abiding citizen who meekly obeys gun control laws or the criminal who never will? Gawd, you people never add 2 plus 2, do you? ...

"
The logic is easy, criminals for the most part can't get guns from other states like the Carolinas with weak gun laws. Speaking of putting 2 and 2 together, did you miss that part where they came from outside NY City..

Hopefully they will prosecute the gun shops and gun owners that were complicit in this illegal trade to the maximum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The logic is easy, criminals for the most part can't get guns from other states like the Carolinas with weak gun laws. Speaking of putting 2 and 2 together, did you miss that part where they came from outside NY City..
Did I miss it? No, not at all. In fact, did you miss that that is my central point? That gun control laws don't work because it creates a black-market that only (or at least mostly) the criminals will participate in? If they don't come in from other states? Then they will come in another way. Or at least be available and someone will make a killing (no pun intended) off of it.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever fired a gun in your life (not counting any time you might have served in the military)? Do you know what a simple piece of machinery it really is? Someone with rudimentary knowledge can make one in their garage machine shop. And they do and will.

Anyway, so you say they came from outside NY City? Then apparently someone in NY City wants guns, right? So your solution is to force other states to restrict the rights of their own citizens in order to plug the holes in what yours can't do.

Quote:
Hopefully they will prosecute the gun shops and gun owners that were complicit in this illegal trade to the maximum.
And I would agree on lots of levels. But here is the kicker. If there was not a market for the illegal guns in NY City? Then there would be no market for illegal gun trade across state lines. If gun control laws worked? Then there would be no market for them. How am I wrong on this?

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-20-2013 at 06:50 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
So sad that the first thing that comes to mind with the anti-gun people is to blame the weapon used.

But anyway, what "gun culture"? What are you talking about? What exactly does that mean? No weasel words, but please explain the term in plain language and using real people to illustrate. Not a bunch of emotive gobble-dee-****.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
These guns came all the way from the Carolinas, not or NJ, PA or CT that have relatively strict laws, seems like a logical solution would be to have stricter laws in some states.
Don't go sullying the fine state of PA's name by lumping them in with those states when talking about gun laws, especially NY and NJ. The gun laws in PA are fairly nonrestrictive and that's the way a majority of residents want it to stay.

Quote:
This means that gun laws in NY City and the surrounding states are working relatively well, not so much for some of the southern states.
How that working for the legal firearms owners?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,593,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How that working for the legal firearms owners?
Very well.
Law-abiding people can still own arms in NYS.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Very well.
Law-abiding people can still own arms in NYS.
Go tell that to the people that own or want to own firearms.

For NYC:
Quote:

NYPD - Permits

How do I apply for a handgun license?

Applicants must personally appear and submit a signed application to the License Division when applying. Fees may be paid by credit card or with two money orders. The application fee is $340.00. Effective March 19, 2012, the fingerprint fee is $91.50. If you are paying with money orders, the money orders should be made payable to the “New York City Police Department.”

What are some of the reasons that may cause my application to be disapproved?
Your application may be disapproved for any of the following reasons:
A history of arrest or conviction, depending upon the severity of the charges and the amount of time that has elapsed since your last arrest or conviction.
Your failure to disclose your full criminal history, including sealed arrests, on your application;
A history of domestic violence incidents;
A history of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI, DWI, DWAI);
Your failure to cooperate with the investigation of your application;
A poor DMV history, including moving violations, failure to appear and answer summonses or failure to pay fines.

This is not a complete list. If your investigation results in a determination that you lack character and fitness for a license or permit, your application will be denied.
This is just to own the weapon. That fee is non refundable if you're denied for something like running a stop sign 10 years ago.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,593,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For NYC:
This is just to own the weapon. That fee is non refundable if you're denied for something like running a stop sign 10 years ago.
And so what?
People with a history of violence and use of drugs should be allowed to own guns?
Maybe in redneckistan, not in a civilized place

Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I can always count on Little Thing to make my point.

Guns for all! Even for criminals! Because guns don't kill people, people kill people! Oh, wait ... criminals are, um, people ...
1. Conservatives are not for breaking the law.

2. I can understand a sarcastic remark when I read one, and the point that was made is actually fairly accurate, the guns themselves weren't illegal, just the method of buying/selling.

3. It' too bad that the article looks like it was written by a child without a clue about the weapons, or their descriptions.

Last, what an epic fail. Guns for all would probably be the best thing that could happen. I remind people, yet again, Kennesaw Georgia. They passed a law requiring every head of household to be armed, (and yes there were exceptions). The papers crowed about gun town USA. and that there would be gunfights, and murders in the street, etc etc. What really happened was, one of the lowest violent crime rates in the U.S. Over 25 years murder free. Ranked one of the 10 best places to live. Rapid growth, more so that many other small towns.

Don't you understand, passing gun laws affects ONLY law abiding citizens, they do NOTHING to prevent a criminal from breaking the law.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
And so what?
People with a history of violence and use of drugs should be allowed to own guns?

You missed the thing I highlighted, you can be denied based on "moving violations". That's speeding tickets, stop sign violations etc.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:17 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Did I miss it? No, not at all. In fact, did you miss that that is my central point? That gun control laws don't work because it creates a black-market that only (or at least mostly) the criminals will participate in? If they don't come in from other states? Then they will come in another way. Or at least be available and someone will make a killing (no pun intended) off of it.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever fired a gun in your life (not counting any time you might have served in the military)? Do you know what a simple piece of machinery it really is? Someone with rudimentary knowledge can make one in their garage machine shop. And they do and will.

Anyway, so you say they came from outside NY City? Then apparently someone in NY City wants guns, right? So your solution is to force other states to restrict the rights of their own citizens in order to plug the holes in what yours can't do.

And I would agree on lots of levels. But here is the kicker. If there was not a market for the illegal guns in NY City? Then there would be no market for illegal gun trade across state lines. If gun control laws worked? Then there would be no market for them. How am I wrong on this?
There isn't a law on the books that doesn't create a black market for something, that doesn't mean we should do away with any law. The Carolinas should be worried about how easy it is to get guns for their own selfish reasons, there is something wrong with the oversight and enforcement in their states.

I have fired pretty many different types of guns inside and outside the military, that doesn't make me any more or less an expert than someone who never touched one. I have heard all the arguments about how easy it is to make one in the garage, that isn't even remotely close to being a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies