Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
news isn't supposed to entertain you.
You've obviously never seen "Naked News" from Canada.

Naked News - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
You'd be better off to stick with RT, who is independent of their gov't.

Quote:
As the Qatari government launches the American version of their news outlet Al-Jazeera, they face accusations of attempting to foment citizen outrage by allegedly airing hoax videos of Muslim Brotherhood protesters suffering faked injuries.
» Al Jazeera, Muslim Brotherhood Caught Producing Fake Videos? Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

There are lots of excellent alternative news sites, including globalresearch.ca and of course, infowars.com.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You'd be better off to stick with RT, who is independent of their gov't.

» Al Jazeera, Muslim Brotherhood Caught Producing Fake Videos? Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

There are lots of excellent alternative news sites, including globalresearch.ca and of course, infowars.com.
Alex Jones is insane that just spews nothing but ridiculous tinfoil conspiracy crap.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:38 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It can.
CNN isn't news. It's personalities that need to get ratings and if they don't they are fired. FOX takes this to the extreme. I happened to watch the Bill O'reilly show one night where he spent his whole show ranting against people that had said mean things about him. This is not news. It's not something a real news organization would put on the air. FOX does it because having a narcissist on the air is good for ratings. MSNBC realized this with Keith Olbermann.

But back to CNN. Every one of their shows is named after the personality that hosts it: Erin Burnett OutFront, The Lead with Jake Tapper, Wolf Blitzer, Anderson Cooper, Piers Morgan. I think a 24hr cable news channel should have one or two of these style programs where the host asks guests questions. That's the only reason I would see for naming a program after a host. The BBC has a show called "Question Time" where the host interviews guests. Right now it's hosted by David Dimbleby. So it's "Question Time with David Dimbebly." But when BBC is broadcasting the actual news they don't title the program after the news readers. Why don't they do this? Because its about giving the audience news. Not giving the audience personalities. And this is what real news organizations do. And this is why CNN is not a real news channel.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Mainstream news outlets are catered to today's no attention span ADD audience. I usually watch Washington Journal on cspan or listen to John Batchelor for news and issues

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
US News is garbage.

An overview of the news I've encountered on my travels (bolded are often aired internationally):

BBC News: Domestically (in the UK), it's nothing special. It is competing for ratings on the British Market.

BBC International: Excellent. Informative, reports on a wide variety of issues, interesting specials. No one screams. I've converted a deal of the family due to the lack of scream-fights and the accent. It's criticised for being left-leaning. I'd describe it as neutral.

RTE: Irish news. Generally focused on Irish national news. It's surprising what makes national news there.

RT: Russian. It's openly biased, and generally focuses on issues which portray Russia favourably. Needless to say, their coverage of the Snowden affair was interesting.

CNN International: Slightly less vapid than the domestic version, but still loaded with fluff pieces and celebrity news. Definitely caters to Americans abroad.

CCTV: Chinese Central Television. Multiple channels are broadcast in Chinese and English. The English language edition generally airs shows of three categories: 1) News, often told in such a way as to make the government seem efficacious and capable. 2) Cultural programs. The most neutral offerings highlighting aspects of Chinese history or culture. 3) Documentaries highlighting China's socio-technological progress.

Bloomberg: The international financial news channel. Much less...annoying than CNBC.

Sky News: British; Murdoch owned. The UK's version of Fox, complete with the overdone, over-polished graphical effects.

Euronews: Pan-European. It focuses on chiefly on European news in brief snippets. A good option for those pressed for time.

Al-Jazeera: Qatari; particularly good reporting on Middle Eastern affairs (obviously). A project of the recently retired Emir. I find it to be one of the best. They're often willing to deal with issues/perspectives/people that others won't touch or can't be bothered with. It's also a fascinating case study of public diplomacy.

ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation: Basically an Aussie BBC.

Hillary Clinton's commentary on Al-Jazeera:

Quote:
“In fact viewership of Al Jazeera is going up in the United States because it’s real news,” Clinton said. “You may not agree with it, but you feel like you’re getting real news around the clock instead of a million commercials and, you know, arguments between talking heads and the kind of stuff that we do on our news which, you know, is not particularly informative to us, let alone foreigners.”
Regardless of what you think of Ms Clinton, she's right. US news coverage consists on talking heads, commercials, celebrity news/fluff pieces, and petty hyper-partisan political bickering.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
CNN isn't news. It's personalities that need to get ratings and if they don't they are fired. FOX takes this to the extreme. I happened to watch the Bill O'reilly show one night where he spent his whole show ranting against people that had said mean things about him. This is not news. It's not something a real news organization would put on the air. FOX does it because having a narcissist on the air is good for ratings. MSNBC realized this with Keith Olbermann.

But back to CNN. Every one of their shows is named after the personality that hosts it: Erin Burnett OutFront, The Lead with Jake Tapper, Wolf Blitzer, Anderson Cooper, Piers Morgan. I think a 24hr cable news channel should have one or two of these style programs where the host asks guests questions. That's the only reason I would see for naming a program after a host. The BBC has a show called "Question Time" where the host interviews guests. Right now it's hosted by David Dimbleby. So it's "Question Time with David Dimbebly." But when BBC is broadcasting the actual news they don't title the program after the news readers. Why don't they do this? Because its about giving the audience news. Not giving the audience personalities. And this is what real news organizations do. And this is why CNN is not a real news channel.
CNN has 16 Hours of Programming, you only named 5 hours worth. While the shows you named do have their host in the title(except for the situation room as Wolf's name is not actually in the title), they are not necessarily named after them but simply displaying who is hosting them. The other 11 hours of programming do not have anyone's name in the title of the show.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
CNN has 16 Hours of Programming, you only named 5 hours worth. While the shows you named do have their host in the title(except for the situation room as Wolf's name is not actually in the title), they are not necessarily named after them but simply displaying who is hosting them. The other 11 hours of programming do not have anyone's name in the title of the show.
Yes, it is the Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer. That is the title of the show. Oh, and I left out Legal View with Ashliegh Banfielf and Stromboulopolis.

Even with CNN programming that doesn't have the host name in the title, they present it as personality driven. It's obvious in how they advertise themselves. I just saw an advert where it was CNN Newsroom with Suzanne Malveaux.

CNN Programs - Today on CNN

compare that to BBC. No mention of news readers or personalities.

BBC News Channel - Schedules, Wednesday 21 August 2013

Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
They such. They started out with an interview of a Jewish basher. So much for unbiased middle of the road news

Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Hmmm. Apparently, you have to pay extra for Al J. I'm not going to do that. Perhaps they need to work that out with the various carriers. They will never get off the ground if people are forced to pay extra for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies