Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
WTF does that have to do with these gun free shooting galleries called public schools that *******s and idiot repugs have mandated?
Someone suggested that we have "armed " guards in the schools. This would save a kid the trouble of smuggling a gun into school and it would give a child access to a gun if mommy and daddy don`t have one at home. Stupid idea indeed! A week doesn`t go by that an "armed" cop isn`t gunned down. Does this help?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
The second most numerouse way that guns make their way on the streets is LEGAL gun sellers illegally selling them. Most guns on the street are NOT stolen guns, but were purchased from legal gun stores and shops.

frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS

The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers. Several recent reports back up Wachtel's own studies about this, and make the case that illegal activity by those licensed to sell guns, known as Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), is a huge source of crime guns and greatly surpasses the sale of guns stolen from John Q. Citizen.

Gun sellers see $$$$$. They don't care what the end result is.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
We managed to cut down on the number of drunken driving incidents...but no one ever thought that adding more alcohol would help.
Who said anything about adding more alcohol, my suggestion is adding more checkpoints and patrols. One does not stop crazies with guns with buzzers on doors, force is stopped by equal or greater force, has always been so and always will be.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Someone suggested that we have "armed " guards in the schools. This would save a kid the trouble of smuggling a gun into school and it would give a child access to a gun if mommy and daddy don`t have one at home. Stupid idea indeed! A week doesn`t go by that an "armed" cop isn`t gunned down. Does this help?
Yes I suggested it, because it will work. I am sure getting a gun away from a trained security gaurd, especially an ex-military guard, will be real easy, especially by those tough fourth graders. Yes, cops do die in the Line of duty, so I guess you answer would be to put an end to that idea also. Your brilliance is very enlightening. So, what is YOUR solution, do you have one?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I don't regard myself as conservative or liberal and I don't like either of the two parties in the U.S.

I prefer gun rights but I acknowledge you can do far more physical damage (at greater distances too) with firearms than you can than say... with a steak knife... to far more victims.

I also acknowledge the City I live in is far more violent and murderous than when I was a small child (in which shootings rarely happened--and out of close to 700,000 people only about 7 gun murders per year occurred).

But I'm curious... one of your fellow liberals had this to say in the Bored Kids Kill for Fun thread:

Quote:
By cometclear:

Violent crime has been falling steadily for years. We are safer than we have ever been, which is why it's curious that our right-wing specimens are increasingly paranoid and convinced they are under greater threat.
So, since American adults and children are "safer" than they have ever been in the history of this nation, why all the paranoia over people owning guns and mass shootings in schools etc.?

Or do liberals and conservatives conveniently pull out horse s__t to support their own agendas when they want to.

Consider it's not just guns? Consider its not just moral corruption in the U.S.? Consider its maybe both of them combined?

Maybe the problems or causes are more complex than that. Maybe. But there have always been lots of gun owners in the U.S. too but not always did the U.S. have such a high frequency of mass shootings. Not always did you have gangs (excepted rival organized crime gangs made up of adults) gunning each other down. Or as in Milwaukee its not longer gangs but the average Joe and Jane gun each other down over petty disputes.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
This story was all over the news here. Luckily it didn't get much national attention because no one was hurt or killed, which I am grateful for. This happened down the street from a relative of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
According to the report, the shooter is a convicted felon.

There are serious laws in place against felons possessing firearms. They involve long sentences.

Wonder why they don't work? Could it be the case that criminals tend to ignore those laws and strict limits on gun ownership would only serve to disarm the law-abiding public?
I think in this situation, the perpetuator probably had access to guns via a relative similar to the Sandy Hook shooter. I doubt that he was the legal gun owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Why did you summarize the article by describing the guy as a gun nut?

Wouldn't it be more accurate and compelling to reference this as a failure of justice as he was charged two weeks prior with "terroristic threats and acts"? The failed justice sytem is the story that should compete for the headline.

The largest percent of crime is committed downstream od drugs and gangs and other career criminals.

This article offers clues that the guy was mentally unstable.

"Gun nut", as used in the OP, is taken as an assault on gun fanciers to diminish the reputation of all gunowners and prejudicially suggest anyone who uses or collects firearms is standing in line behind behind Michael Hill awaiting their turn to shoot up a school.

Loaded with this caliber of prejudice holstered on your hip, your bias can be turned on any one group of people at anytime and is far more dangeropus than a firearm.
I would agree that this man is mentally unstable. But I think that he wasn't treated as harshly by the criminal justice system because he is white and white males are not treated as harshly as black or Hispanic males with similar backgrounds and charges. I doubt this guy would have been on the street if he had been black so I do think it was the failure of our system that caused this man to be able to go to an elementary school with an AK-47.

I would hope that you and others will take your own advice in regards to prejudice and not judge individuals as being a representative of an entire group of people who share a similarities with the criminal in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Time to start stopping and frisking all white males for guns.

:sarcasm:
This was funny lol!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Yeah but it's so easy to get a gun that's why the streets are flooded with them. When I was in high school a kid bought a gun on our school bus that he purchased for $5. He planned to kill another student but was turned in by someone else. The fact that guns are so easy for anyone to get should be a major concern for folks.
For the law abiding, firearms are NOT easy to get. Especially handguns. You can't just generically state "guns are easy to get" , the caveat is illegally they might be but not legally.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
For the law abiding, firearms are NOT easy to get. Especially handguns. You can't just generically state "guns are easy to get" , the caveat is illegally they might be but not legally.
In a state like GA YES, they are easy to get both legally and illegally. In a place like DC not so much.

The problem is it's mainly legal gun dealers who are illegally selling them.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Yeah but it's so easy to get a gun that's why the streets are flooded with them. When I was in high school a kid bought a gun on our school bus that he purchased for $5. He planned to kill another student but was turned in by someone else. The fact that guns are so easy for anyone to get should be a major concern for folks.
Yes, a gun is easy to get, ILLEGALLY. The legal process for buying a gun is much more complicated. Every purchase from a gun shop goes through local, state, and federal criminal records check on the buyer. In many locations, it gets WAY more complicated, and expensive. A criminal just calls a source, pays his money, and jets. The laws don't matter. All the laws, such as NY has put on tbe books, has done, is drive illegal gun prices up. Illegal weapons are worth a FORTUNE, in NYC. But, the drug dealers and gangs can afford the price. Easy. John Q Public? SOL.

Ol' Bloomy has set the stage for a serious boost to criminal revenue. If the whole "diversity" country was like NYC, illegal gunrunning would be right tbere with drugs on the profit/risk. Sheesh, u der laws like that the gangs can ould declare fiefdom. The only armed resistance to them running totally amock would be the military.

If everyone totally complied with the gun laws many leftists want, excluding the bad guys, well, those same bad guys get a carte blanche. Uh huh, so when the South Central gangs move into Beverly Hills and declare it "their turf" rest assured, a Marine Expeditionary Force will re establish order. The rest of us lowly ones, outside of swanky potitical contributors land, pull back burner duty.

Its economics at its simplest, boys n girls. Guns are power. Power means money. If you have all of these lined up, skys the limit. Gangs and drug cartels have all this, and much more.

If the US citizenry were effectively disarmed, which many think we should be, a strong piece of our national defense is gone. And a law enforcement tool as well. If our population can't protect itself, at least as a fall back tactic, we are wide open to all kinds of opression. Not by the government, but by the well funded and armed criminal elements. Relying, solely, on the government bearing arms, in our name, is an idiotic approach. Keep tbe 2A strong, encourage responsible and well trained firearms ownership for honest citizens. The bad guys need to know, we are as effectively armed, and more proficient than you! Don't mess with our communities and our families, and we shoot back. Accurately.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes I suggested it, because it will work. I am sure getting a gun away from a trained security gaurd, especially an ex-military guard, will be real easy, especially by those tough fourth graders. Yes, cops do die in the Line of duty, so I guess you answer would be to put an end to that idea also. Your brilliance is very enlightening. So, what is YOUR solution, do you have one?
I hate to say it but I`m with Richard Nixon on this one. Stop selling handguns. In a few decades we`ll begin to resemble a civilized country. Btw,there are kids in jr. high that are bigger and badder than your superhero ex-military guard. The guard who can walk around a corner in the school hallway and be knocked silly and then disarmed. That`s the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies