Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Are we talking full welfare with cash,food stamps,and housing?

If I understand correctly,a very large number of workers at Walmart receive gov. Benefits like food stamps. Lots of people I know who are working low wage jobs get some type of goverment benefits whether its welfare,Medicaid,or food stamps.

I'm not sure a solution can be made.
Maybe encourage low wage workers to get college degrees and go for better careers?
I guess not,because a large number of low wage employees do have college degrees.
The vast majority of college graduates aren't low income.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
The vast majority of college graduates that have graduated since 2008?
I am willing to bet most are working low wage jobs,because of the type of college degree.

Then again,in my state,$20/hr is a low wage.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
If the private sector pays more less people would be on Welfare. That would theoretically equal a lower Government expense and lower tax burden.
Are you saying the federal government should dictate how much the private sector must pay? That doesn't sound constitutional, does it?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Same page as you and then from page 14 to 29, which are mostly filled with graphs every few pages.

We believe it is proper to include the full package of benefits because at least some recipients in every state do receive them. Of course, no individual or family receives benefits from all 72 programs, but many recipients do receive aid from a number of the programs at any given time.

In 1995, the Cato Institute published a groundbreaking study, The Work vs. Welfare Trade-Off, which estimated the value of the full package of welfare benefits available to a typical recipient in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia. The value of TANF, SNAP, housing assistance, utility assistance, WIC, The Emergency food assistance programs were combined into one package.

Housing has a backlog of 8-10 years and you want me to believe that is "typical"?
The part about the 72 programs is directly from the CATO report - they make it clear that they were not saying that anyone receives "aid" from all these programs. Is your beef with this report that not all of these Welfare recipients get housing "aid"?

We have 72 separate FEDERAL programs that give 'cash' or "in kind" benefits (like food stamps). We have another 126 FEDERAL programs that are specifically targeted to low income people - that doesn't even include the City/County/State welfare programs AND all the "training" programs.

Quote:
In reality, the federal government currently funds 126 separate pro- grams targeted toward low-income people, 72 of which provide either cash or in-kind benefits to individuals. (The remainder fund commu- nitywide programs for low-income neighbor- hoods, but do not provide benefits directly to individual recipients.) State, county, and mu- nicipal governments operate additional welfare programs.
The President is getting ready to give a big speech (his MLK day speech) on how we fail to have sufficient programs for the "poor" ....... bookmark the CATO study, it shows a totally different reality to the coming speech. Read those Stats on how this welfare works out by the hour when compared with the minimum wage in all these States. It's shocking.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The vast majority of college graduates that have graduated since 2008?
I am willing to bet most are working low wage jobs,because of the type of college degree.

Then again,in my state,$20/hr is a low wage.
Well, that's the rub. The median income for a financial engineer is $150K; the starting salary is around $85K. While a philosophy major won't be making much at all.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
What is your definition of economic justice? Equal outcome?
No, not equal outcome. If you are sincerely interested: What's your definition? If I have time and inclination I'll correct what you get wrong.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
But how can the playing field be leveled when employers want degrees, top skills, no training and to pay low wages? It's their market now. And most are exploiting that advantage. What happens when there are no more people on the bottom with money to patronize their businesses? Oh yes, back to the topic: Welfare.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No, not equal outcome. If you are sincerely interested: What's your definition? If I have time and inclination I'll correct what you get wrong.
I can't define a phrase that you brought to the table.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
conservatives are just dishonest. That whole study is a complete mess.

Why do conservatives use the word "welfare" to describe multiple programs that serve multiple populations which carry out multiple services?

To lump everything under the umbrella of "welfare" obscures what programs are being discussed, what they actually do, who gets served, how much it costs, and is it actually considered welfare by most people?

This is the dishonest manner that conservatives go about this topic. It makes having an honest discussion impossible.

conservatives continue to prove that their mortal enemies the ones whom they hate the most are poor people.

conservatives will lie and cheat to hurt poor Americans. They hate them that much.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
I can't define a phrase that you brought to the table.
I want you to do most of the work related to your inquiry because I don't have much confidence your motivations for asking. If that's not going to work for you, then you remaining unaware of what it means is fine with me. Let some other truly interested reader of these threads ask, one that isn't already well-established as convinced of a perspective contrary to the one I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies