Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives are just dishonest. That whole study is a complete mess.

Why do conservatives use the word "welfare" to describe multiple programs that serve multiple populations which carry out multiple services?

To lump everything under the umbrella of "welfare" obscures what programs are being discussed, what they actually do, who gets served, how much it costs, and is it actually considered welfare by most people?

This is the dishonest manner that conservatives go about this topic. It makes having an honest discussion impossible.

conservatives continue to prove that their mortal enemies the ones whom they hate the most are poor people.

conservatives will lie and cheat to hurt poor Americans. They hate them that much.
liberals love poor people. they get them addicted to leeching off of other people's money so they will never have to fend for themselves. that's unconditional love, they way they exploit the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
liberals love poor people. they get them addicted to leeching off of other people's money so they will never have to fend for themselves. that's unconditional love, they way they exploit the poor.
How dumb. The vast majority of poor people work. And ALL Americans leech off of other people's money that comes from the federal and state governments.

conservatives ignore this reality to rail only about the benefits that they perceive poor people receive.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times
What I've said all along. Minimum Wage should be HIGHER than welfare benefits. Want more money, go work for it.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Study: Welfare pays better | Boston Herald

It fit in the title but It just points out that there are too many low wage jobs out there and our Welfare system may still be a bit too generous.

I think most conservatives would argue there can never be "too may" low-wage jobs.

On the other hand, many conservatives in my neighborhood have argued there is "too much" rental housing in the neighborhood.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Really?
CATO Institute Study on Work vs Welfare
On Page 3 ......

Perhaps you can post the part of the new CATO report that says the "vast majority of welfare people aren't eligible for the maximum benefits "...... because I've not read that yet.

??? Did you casually assume that everyone on welfare gets the maximum Section 8 rental subsidy?

Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Study: Welfare pays better | Boston Herald

It fit in the title but It just points out that there are too many low wage jobs out there and our Welfare system may still be a bit too generous.
I wonder how many, are too many?

After government in all forms, retail and food services are the nations top employers. These are historically low wage part time jobs.

This is a drastically different employment environment than it was in the 50's when automakers, steel producers and oil were the big employers. Unions pulled people into the middle class. It was swell while it lasted. Competition and technology changed the global employment picture, forever. A few bubbles and wars made it less obvious to the most casual observer.

There has been a steady trend towards the hollowing out of mid-range jobs.

The sector that has lost the most jobs since the recession has been government in all forms.
Home building lost nearly 1 million jobs since the start of 2008, while the auto industry shed 300,000 manufacturing jobs due to plant closings. The finance and real estate sectors lost more than 500,000 jobs. How likely is it that these jobs will come back, regardless of who is president or holds the majority in Congress?

So many seem to find it more convenient to blame rather than retrain and relocate.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The part about the 72 programs is directly from the CATO report - they make it clear that they were not saying that anyone receives "aid" from all these programs. Is your beef with this report that not all of these Welfare recipients get housing "aid"?

We have 72 separate FEDERAL programs that give 'cash' or "in kind" benefits (like food stamps). We have another 126 FEDERAL programs that are specifically targeted to low income people - that doesn't even include the City/County/State welfare programs AND all the "training" programs.

The President is getting ready to give a big speech (his MLK day speech) on how we fail to have sufficient programs for the "poor" ....... bookmark the CATO study, it shows a totally different reality to the coming speech. Read those Stats on how this welfare works out by the hour when compared with the minimum wage in all these States. It's shocking.

Targeted to low-income people, my freaking ***. One of the programs is Community Development block Grants (CDBG) which is really a way for local governments to take federal dollars in the name of "low and moderate income" residents, and divert those dollars to the benefit of the middle class majority.

Locals decide how CDBG funds are spent, and typical uses include homeownership assistance (grants, loans, rehab) and street maintenance. So CDBG dollars are spent to help a very few people buy and improve their homes - often the sort of middle class or connected people able to game the system (like Sen D'Amato's pals on Long Island) to the benefit of government and middle class homeowners, and to the detriment of low-income renters who face rising rents and get priced out in the process. And since money is fungible, dollars spent on roads in low-income neighborhoods merely free up general fund dollars - which would ordinarily be spent in those low income neighborhoods - to spend those local dollars on the non-poor.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I wonder how many, are too many?

After government in all forms, retail and food services are the nations top employers. These are historically low wage part time jobs.

This is a drastically different employment environment than it was in the 50's when automakers, steel producers and oil were the big employers. Unions pulled people into the middle class. It was swell while it lasted. Competition and technology changed the global employment picture, forever. A few bubbles and wars made it less obvious to the most casual observer.

There has been a steady trend towards the hollowing out of mid-range jobs.

The sector that has lost the most jobs since the recession has been government in all forms.
Home building lost nearly 1 million jobs since the start of 2008, while the auto industry shed 300,000 manufacturing jobs due to plant closings. The finance and real estate sectors lost more than 500,000 jobs. How likely is it that these jobs will come back, regardless of who is president or holds the majority in Congress?

So many seem to find it more convenient to blame rather than retrain and relocate.

I'd love to retrain where do I sign up?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 AM

109 posts, read 168,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Public assistance should cover the basic needs: Safe, clean housing; serviceable clothing that a prospective employer would find acceptable; three square meals a day that a nutritionist would approve of; healthcare to keep one healthy, productive, and physically capable; secondary education for children and teens (effectively handled); transportation to jobs and job opportunities - enough to cover the costs of living and work one's way out of poverty. Nothing more than that. Jobs should pay more than that covers. Jobs that don't are exploitative.
What I find amusing, is I work full time and I don't get any of these things! My deductible is so high I can't go to the doctor, and my wage is so low I can't eat there square meals a day-something wrong with this picture???

Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny72 View Post
What I find amusing, is I work full time and I don't get any of these things!
You don't buy food with the money you have? ???

I think the problem you're having is that you're not understanding the nature of human decency. It essentially establishes a floor. If you're already three inches above the floor then having the floor isn't going to benefit you but decency isn't about necessary everything benefiting you personally. It is about being better than wild animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny72 View Post
My deductible is so high I can't go to the doctor, and my wage is so low I can't eat there square meals a day-something wrong with this picture???
Definitely. One of the biggest problems with our economy is how employers have been able to exploit extraordinary power to devalue work. Over the last ten years, especially, we've seen wages flat (really: real wages have declined) while productivity leading to higher profit has skyrocketed by comparison. It isn't the only problem, and it isn't even necessarily the most critical problem (because matters of life and death matter more than matters of fairness), but it is a big problem and needs to be remedied also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies