Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Guns are allowed in preschools/kindergartens now, in some states.
And I'm glad to know the little ones will have a semblance of chance if a maniac tries to infiltrate those schools and harm them, rather than be sitting ducks like what has happened over and over in "gun free" zones.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post

To oppose a fundamental Right guaranteed by the Constitution -- the 2nd Amendment --is indeed un-American; no one would even assert otherwise if the Amendment in question was the 1st, 4th, 5th, or most indeed, the 13th and 14th Amendments.
Most opponents of gun ownership as it stands have a different interpretation of the 2nd Amendment than you, indeed I venture to say that Congress and the courts do as well. That makes for a great many Americans being "un American". Do you see the contradiction there? Just how many Americans have to believe in something you consider un American before it becomes American?

Anyway this un American thing is just a tactic to draw attention away from the merits of an issue, to make such discussion a case of civic blasphemy.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
The U.S. Constitution is the longest lasting, most successful, most enviable, and most imitated constitution man has ever known. The United States Constitution has secured an unprecedented degree of human freedom, upholding the rule of law, securing the blessings of liberty, and providing the framework for the people of America to build a great, prosperous, and just nation unlike any other in the world.

To oppose a fundamental Right guaranteed by the Constitution -- the 2nd Amendment --is indeed un-American; no one would even assert otherwise if the Amendment in question was the 1st, 4th, 5th, or most indeed, the 13th and 14th Amendments.
Actually, the british constitution is is more imitated than the US constitution. But that's of little importance in general. It's important to note that newer constitutions that are based off of the US constitutions make significant modifications in order to modernize the laws and remove much of the archaic details. Something the US has been slow to do.

The US Constitution is great, but not perfect by any means. The US does not rank #1 in human freedom, liberty, or prosperity.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Most opponents of gun ownership as it stands have a different interpretation of the 2nd Amendment than you, indeed I venture to say that Congress and the courts do as well. That makes for a great many Americans being "un American". Do you see the contradiction there? Just how many Americans have to believe in something you consider un American before it becomes American?

Anyway this un American thing is just a tactic to draw attention away from the merits of an issue, to make such discussion a case of civic blasphemy.
Opposers like Feinstein and Pelosi are indeed unAmerican.

The courts possess a different view? Are you kidding? You might want to brush up on SCOTUS rulings.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Default No Guns at Starbucks Day

It is staggeringly obscene that the events at Newtown, and other communities across America, have created the threshold for MORE, rather than fewer, guns! The NRA has accomplished a staggering feat by ensuring that their dollars got to the right pockets in Washington, and instead of having a discussion about fewer guns, we ended up having a discussion about how to 'capably' arm teachers, librarians, and school administrators. You have to hand it to the NRA for this incredible accomplishment.

This Saturday, a group has asked patrons to avoid drinking their morning joe at Starbucks, whose open carry policies have made the store a refuge for gun toters hiding behind the second amendment to the Constitution. That they wouldn't be understanding enough to know that fewer guns equates to fewer gun deaths, the gun gang has been singled out for recognition by asking folks to avoid Starbucks this weekend. Mom-based gun control group calls for Starbucks boycott - NY Daily News

Perhaps if each of us can carry forth this message, a small dent will be made in encouraging one of America's favorite watering holes to rethink their policy of encouraging gun owners to swagger into these family stores with their six shooters firmly clenched to their bellies. The only way to stop gun violence is to eliminate guns. And the only way to eliminate guns, in the absence of a sensible populous, is to distinguish those groups who would disregard the tragedies brought on by America's senseless arsenal of guns. Perhaps the folks in Newtown, and across America, can deliver that message to Starbucks this Saturday by refusing to patronize their local (gun toting?) barista for one day.

If Starbuck's 'gets' it, maybe the message can be delivered across America. It has to start somewhere!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually, the british constitution is is more imitated than the US constitution. But that's of little importance in general. It's important to note that newer constitutions that are based off of the US constitutions make significant modifications in order to modernize the laws and remove much of the archaic details. Something the US has been slow to do.

The US Constitution is great, but not perfect by any means. The US does not rank #1 in human freedom, liberty, or prosperity.
You're certainly free to reach out to your Senator and Representative and ask them to propose new Amendments. You're also free to renounce your U.S. citizenship after you've attained citizenship in a more "human free" country.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM

372 posts, read 599,482 times
MattOTAlex, spot on. I wish I could rep you more than once.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
You're certainly free to reach out to your Senator and Representative and ask them to propose new Amendments. You're also free to renounce your U.S. citizenship after you've attained citizenship in a more "human free" country.
As are you. I discuss laws with my representative regularly.

My point is that your previous post is wrong. Not that I have an issue with the US.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 PM

457 posts, read 905,016 times
I'll be sure to order a large ice-coffee this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I'll be sure to order a large ice-coffee this weekend. Thanks for the tip!
Same here but with my .45 by my side.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies