Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How so? The Intelligent Design museum in Tennessee shows humans riding on dinosaurs. Is there any scientific evidence of that?
You really must not grasp what Intelligent Design people believe. They don't dispute evolution theory...they just don't think it was random.

Again....I am an Atheist! I believe in evolution.

But I am only giving their side of the issue since it seems many people who rail against it don't really understand their point of view.

Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,770,418 times
Just wanted to point out that the theory of evolution by natural selection is not the same as the big bang theory. The earth was around probably 1 billion years before life even happened.

In a Biology class, you start with primordial soup and go from there. How the soupy planet got there is not part of a Biology curriculum. Start with proteins, end with 200+ million species.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,853,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
You really must not grasp what Intelligent Design people believe. They don't dispute evolution theory...they just don't think it was random.

But I am only giving their side of the issue since it seems many people who rail against it don't really understand their point of view.

Posted with TapaTalk
I grasp what Intelligent Design people believe. They believe that evolution was directed by God. They also believe a lot of other things that go along with that God. And when the science doesn't agree with those other things, they disregard the science. Hence, the humans riding on dinosaurs.

I respect a person's belief in God. But there is no scientific evidence that God exists. The claim that we are so complex there MUST have been a designer is not science.

Science belongs in the Science classroom.

Religion belongs in the Humanities classrooms.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,109,806 times
Quote:

Posted with TapaTalk
They believe that the creation of all things transpired in six 24-hour days.

Most creation scientists believe that the earth is "young" (on the order of ten thousand years).

That's all I need to know when I contemplate Creationism being taught in public schools...

Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Still wouldn't be close to infinite. Your cells don't mutate they all have the same copy of DNA .
Perhaps (actually I know) I'm not the right person to explain the mathematical model presented in the program I watched.

But I will say that it definitely gave me pause to consider.

In a nutshell the best way I have the ability to explain is that they showed how if you accept evolution was a random thing of mutations causing changes, some beneficial and some not, and considering all the species that have ever existed on Earth, the numeric values don't add up.

There was either some type of shortcut evolution takes, or it wasn't actually random.

Hey....I love a mystery and found it all pretty thought provoking.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Maybe you should actually READ people's posts....it may help.

I'm an Atheist and have already said that I have faith that evolution is correct.

I was merely pointing out that even science requires faith.

Posted with TapaTalk
Evolution doesn't require "faith".

Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm also okay with "I don't know" as well.

I just believe that the order of things was put in motion by a higher power.
You contradict youself. If you don't know and are okay with it, why then would you need to believe in a higher power? Just say I don't know and I'm okay with that.

Maybe what you meant was more : I'm okay with not knowing but I would like, so would like to believe that a higher power exists and put the world in motion. And that is also okay! It's the origin of any philosophy. Why? Where? When? How?

But I don't think you're okay with not knowing, what bothers you is that you do know and can't put it all right with your faith, ie the Creation of intelligent design.

Belief has nothing to do with science or ID as in Intelligent Debate.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Evolution doesn't require "faith".
OMG!

It's really a shame when someone comes along without bothering to read all the posts someone posts and then adds some senseless little quip.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,770,418 times
Quote:
Perhaps (actually I know) I'm not the right person to explain the mathematical model presented in the program I watched.

But I will say that it definitely gave me pause to consider.

In a nutshell the best way I have the ability to explain is that they showed how if you accept evolution was a random thing of mutations causing changes, some beneficial and some not, and considering all the species that have ever existed on Earth, the numeric values don't add up.

There was either some type of shortcut evolution takes, or it wasn't actually random.

Hey....I love a mystery and found it all pretty thought provoking.

Posted with TapaTalk
One of these "shortcuts" are changes in the blueprint genes (e.g. hox genes). You can get from 2 legs to 100 with just a few base pair changes in the right blueprint genes. You can get from horse to giraffe by just turning on the gene that makes neck vertebrae for a slightly longer time in utero.

No longer quite the mystery it was when Darwin was around. We know a lot more about genetics, mutations and embryonic development to realize how easy it is to drastically change form.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
OMG!

It's really a shame when someone comes along without bothering to read all the posts someone posts and then adds some senseless little quip.

Posted with TapaTalk
I really tried to read that drivel, but I've had a hard day at the office and my brain can only handle so much bunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies