Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That's why it's called faith.

The more I study science, the more I think there must be a God. I'll never prove the existence of God any more than you'll prove God doesn't exist. We both believe what we believe without proof so we both believe what we believe based on faith. We differ only in what we choose to put our faith in. You believe you are the product of random chance and your life is meaningless. I believe that you and I getting to the point of having this conversation is by design (think of all the impossible, fantastic things that all had to happen in order for you and I to get to this point in time and have this conversation.).

We both have faith. You have faith there is no God and I have faith there is. We're not that different.
??
Our lives are meaningless? Because you say so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So some believe in science and some believe in faith. Neither one should be taught in public schools, in my opinion.
I'm actually a bit taken aback by this statement...but, okay...whatever.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
You don't believe science should be taught in public school?
Of course I do but like I said in an earlier post, how we were created wasn't even taught. My kids were taught how things work. They were taught biology and how to dissect and identify the different body parts...they were taught chemistry and how different chemicals mix. How we were created never even came into the mix and it shouldn't because that is not science.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I'm actually a bit taken aback by this statement...but, okay...whatever.
Why is that?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:46 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Why is that?
Because Evolutionary Theory IS a science meeting all the criteria for it to be labeled as such.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Because Evolutionary Theory IS a science meeting all the criteria for it to be labeled as such.
But my kids who are products of public schools were never taught any of that. No science class involved evolution.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,760,686 times
Quote:
Of course I do but like I said in an earlier post, how we were created wasn't even taught. My kids were taught how things work. They were taught biology and how to dissect and identify the different body parts...they were taught chemistry and how different chemicals mix. How we were created never even came into the mix and it shouldn't because that is not science.
If you're saying that the evolution of humans from their primate ancestors is not science, I'm pretty sure there are about 20,000 anthropologists out there that would disagree with you.

I'm also pretty sure that your kids were taught about evolution. You can't teach a biology class without talking about species changing over time, phylogenetic trees, antibiotic resistance, etc.

They might not have talked about the origins of the universe or even the planet, but again, that's not evolution or biology.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 PM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
What we're saying is that how humans were created is science. In fact, we are finding out in ever greater detail exactly how it happened.

Unfortunately, we can't help that scientific knowledge about human origins does not confirm cherished religious beliefs. The chips simply did not fall that way - not by a long shot.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
If you're saying that the evolution of humans from their primate ancestors is not science, I'm pretty sure there are about 20,000 anthropologists out there that would disagree with you.

I'm also pretty sure that your kids were taught about evolution. You can't teach a biology class without talking about species changing over time,aphylogenetic trees, antibiotic resistance, etc.

They might not have talked about the origins of the universe or even the planet, but again, that's not evolution or biology.
I never said that. I said my kids were not taught about evolution in science class. And of course you can teach biology without talking about humans. How do you think catholic schools teach biology which I am a product of.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,893,738 times
I'm actually disappointed that the chimps and humans branched from a common ancestor a couple of million years ago.

We still share 98% of DNA with apes. That is science, not faith.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies